PRE-GAME DISCUSSION: Chooks v Manly [Round 2, 2020]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm watching the storm game again now and geez dce had a shocker... I think this wknd he will have a blinder IF its a dry track. Good to see Des went with the same team... GO Manly
I think he was almost ok...which for DCE our leader...is a shocker.
What concerned me about the game after watching the replay sober, was the game was alive at the 60th minute and they simply took control and better options, particularly the kicking game...which in wet conditions is a long way towards a Win.
A couple more things I noted 2nd time watching, was big Solomona added a heap of momentum off the bench winning the ruck constantly and the Kapow knock on 20m out in the 64th minute was a big turning point....and again - Manly competed well and defence actually good...but predictable attack and poor kicking game made it a dour struggle, that played into Smith/Storm's hands.

I hear you... I think Cust is at the crossroads at Manly but has the potential for a breakout season if he tidies up his front on defence. Don't understand why we keep extending Croker much less put him in 17. I understand he is a good trainer but has done nothing in NRL other than a pass against Raiders at Brookie.

I will be amazed if Schuster is not in NRL by round 6, as for backup 9 I don't think ZDC is eligible but it is as close as you can get to a sensible backup 9. Very surprised we did not put Reed Izzard in 30 ahead of Croker.
IMO Croker is the only one of our options (maybe Cust) that offers any chance of at least doing a job from the bench as utility/dummy half. He was very poor in rd 1, but needs to be used earlier I feel (50th-65th minute I reckon). He is a half and can at least assure ok service and some playmaking ability. He is fit and has pretty good defence, but agree he is out of place. I think bringing him on when we did killed us last week because he felt the pressure to win the game for the team, especially when against Smith. I think the plan is to turn Levi into an 80 minute player but he will need time obviously to develop that. Also think the conditions were another factor in our disjointed attack. Feel we'll pull some organised attack together against the Chooks.

We are very under the radar for this game and I feel the game will be very close. Combinations will determine the result.

As with the pre-match Storm discussion, our weakness is defending kicks behind our left winger. Every club will try to exploit this. I think Jorge has a lot a great attributes and has been a wonderful contributor to the team's success, but the tactics in rugby league has changed. Now the main attacking weapon is the kick, so having tall wingers who can leap is a priority. We don't have one of these at our club. Sandwich is the closest we have and is a certain starter. But we will continue to be exposed by kicks to our corners throughout the season. Our recruitment priority for 2021 should be a tall winger (dare I suggest the disgraced Wreckingball from the Dogs?).
Swapping Jorge for Suli is not an answer as you are just getting like-for-like.
I see our lack of 'tall timber' in the backline as our only real weakness.

I hear you... I think Cust is at the crossroads at Manly but has the potential for a breakout season if he tidies up his front on defence. Don't understand why we keep extending Croker much less put him in 17. I understand he is a good trainer but has done nothing in NRL other than a pass against Raiders at Brookie.

Are you talking about the game where DCE went off injured & Croker took control of the game & scored 2 tries?

As with the pre-match Storm discussion, our weakness is defending kicks behind our left winger. Every club will try to exploit this. I think Jorge has a lot a great attributes and has been a wonderful contributor to the team's success, but the tactics in rugby league has changed. Now the main attacking weapon is the kick, so having tall wingers who can leap is a priority. We don't have one of these at our club. Sandwich is the closest we have and is a certain starter. But we will continue to be exposed by kicks to our corners throughout the season. Our recruitment priority for 2021 should be a tall winger (dare I suggest the disgraced Wreckingball from the Dogs?).
Swapping Jorge for Suli is not an answer as you are just getting like-for-like.
I see our lack of 'tall timber' in the backline as our only real weakness.
We have the tallest timber already on our books... Sam Smith towers over everyone including Turbo. He is the mystery man. Ive been hoping and waiting for this guy to show us something but he really is the mystery man. He is 8ft 7 and identified as a real talent. Surely someone with that size and apparent skills could be a weapon on the field???

We have the tallest timber already on our books... Sam Smith towers over everyone including Turbo. He is the mystery man. Ive been hoping and waiting for this guy to show us something but he really is the mystery man. He is 8ft 7 and identified as a real talent. Surely someone with that size and apparent skills could be a weapon on the field???
You are right. He's the forgotten man. Although he was named to play for Blacktown last Sunday he was replaced by Funa and Elliott.
Did he get a run anywhere?
Perhaps our media department can do an interview with him, just to prove he is real.

The Eagle v the Rooster

WE HAVE IT WITHIN OUR DNA TO WIN THIS GAME AND EVERY GAME

THE EAGLES DO NOT TAKE FLIGHT LESSONS FROM CHICKENS

THE EAGLES SPIRIT AND RESILIENCE IS KNOWN TO SOUR ABOVE AND CONQUER ALL

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

I will be amazed if Schuster is not in NRL by round 6, as for backup 9 I don't think ZDC is eligible but it is as close as you can get to a sensible backup 9. Very surprised we did not put Reed Izzard in 30 ahead of Croker.
I will be amazed if the season is still going by round 6.

MATCH OFFICIALS:

Ben Cummins
Referee

Belinda Sharpe
Referee

Michael Wise
Touch Judge

Liam Nicholls
Touch Judge

Ben Galea
Video Referee

Gavin Reynolds