Post Contact Metres for Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

XV-1

First Grader
One of the more important stats where Manly is pathetic.
The ability to break the defensive line, either in bringing the ball out of trouble or in attack bending the opposition defensive line.

Our soft weak forwards are nowhere to be seen. Oh so obvious whenever we play Penrith or Melb.

Manly had only two players in the top 100!! Marty @ 8 and Garrick at 34.

Your thoughts

Saab was minus 3 metres after 13 runs.

Exactly why panthers kicked to him. Great coaching by Cleary.

I agree this is a stat Manly lack....but I think if you look at Manly tactics in 2021 it was more playing flashy footy, meaning most tries were from a distance and by using the football, more so than "building", by making powerhouse charges through the middle and winning by attrition....
This does kind of coincides with the difference between these top sides, who play this tough, hard running followed by big kick chase and dominating defence, which is finals style footy, with the ability to continue the same style with more intensity in finals games
The Manly style of footy is different and I wasn't complaining with some great tries through the season, but hard to get into the grind suddenly come finals footy after playing flamboyant footy all season with great success.
Another factor I will add, is the go forward in other sides have far better dummy half distribution getting their attacking runners over the advantage line and engaging defenders, in turn helping the runner poke through and gain far more Territory

I agree this is a stat Manly lack....but I think if you look at Manly tactics in 2021 it was more playing flashy footy, meaning most tries were from a distance and by using the football, more so than "building", by making powerhouse charges through the middle and winning by attrition....
This does kind of coincides with the difference between these top sides, who play this tough, hard running followed by big kick chase and dominating defence, which is finals style footy, with the ability to continue the same style with more intensity in finals games
The Manly style of footy is different and I wasn't complaining with some great tries through the season, but hard to get into the grind suddenly come finals footy after playing flamboyant footy all season with great success.
Another factor I will add, is the go forward in other sides have far better dummy half distribution getting their attacking runners over the advantage line and engaging defenders, in turn helping the runner poke through and gain far more Territory
Spot on

Abysmal again last night. Does Des actually coach on leg drive and how to break tackles.

The 2nd half showed Marty is still our best runner and post contact metres forward.

Surely Des as coach can give Marty a simple but effective game plan for him to follow.
Run FN hard and don't always step inside to more traffic.

Same goes for Paseka and Sipley - huge units that should be pushing back defensive lines.

A class hooker may make that easier to actually do on the field?

Have noticed often Manly have 2 major issues here
1 - They often are running off their own try line in ugly situations and hit by 3-4 man gang tackles- zero chance of post contract metres for anyone in that situation
2 - The forwards are 1 out which is a red flag at a Bull, allowing defence to easily converge and nullify any post contact metres...

We were still poor in this important stat - the only guys bending the line was plodder Davey, Walker and Paseka when he was on early in the 2nd half.

Playing Lawton off the bench is a waste of a player as he gets rag dolled if not directly replacing Croker- lot better to have Sipley or Aloia running full steam off the bench.

Des needs to start coaching leg speed, ruck speed and power.

We were still poor in this important stat - the only guys bending the line was plodder Davey, Walker and Paseka when he was on early in the 2nd half.

Playing Lawton off the bench is a waste of a player as he gets rag dolled if not directly replacing Croker- lot better to have Sipley or Aloia running full steam off the bench.

Des needs to start coaching leg speed, ruck speed and power.
Surely Lawton goes now, given at very least next week we have Aloiai back

Am I missing something with Paseka? Seems like he’s the only one who can go forward and make post contact metres yet supercoach Des only plays him 15 minutes a week, and starts with Marty checked out Taupau and Keppie of 6 errors a match fame. I just can’t understand our bench rotation when a career centre in Walker is consistently our best forward and Lawton is stuck between hooker and back row (yet some fans still somehow believe Croker is better!)

Have you guys not worked out this ploy by Dessie? Straight under the radar and hold your powder for when it matters. Sheeeesh

I thought this thread must have been about the tackle where we forced the Dogs player back 10 metres until he contacted his own goalpost. that was pretty good actually!

Am I missing something with Paseka? Seems like he’s the only one who can go forward and make post contact metres yet supercoach Des only plays him 15 minutes a week, and starts with Marty checked out Taupau and Keppie of 6 errors a match fame. I just can’t understand our bench rotation when a career centre in Walker is consistently our best forward and Lawton is stuck between hooker and back row (yet some fans still somehow believe Croker is better!)
Paseka should be starting. I'm hoping Aloiai unlocks pre wrist injury form of last year, learnt from his mistakes and is reinvigorated, and we can get some good value from him with post contact metres, and bending the line with his runs. I'd have him and Paseka start and Marty, Bully, and Sipley off the bench (Keppie has been underwhelming again).

What exacerbates this subject, is we aren't a lean, big, fast team. We are an immobile apparent "power" team, so post contact metres should be our forte. Des bench rotation doesn't help mind you. But I'm a firm believer of a tradition bench. A hooker utility type, and three big, fast, mobile forwards who make consistent impact.

We are carrying way too many plodders unfortunately.

Jake will never make you metres
Schuster isn't a metre muncher - he's a ball player
Olakau'atu is probably our best forward - and capable of 100+ metres a agame
Sipley / Keppie ? Paseka will have a rare standout game but plateau at 60-70 metres
Taupau (one of my favorites), is honestly a shell of his former self, and I can't keep defending him.
Davey tries hard - has the speed and effort - but good for 50-60 metres a game
Bullemor probably houldn't be in first grade.

Jake try’s hard , Josh A also but honestly the rest are like powder puffs.

Power puffs who are lazy and outside of Jake and Croker, fail in the 1%ers.

Look at the top teams and they live n die with their controlled aggression, 2nd and 3rd person into many tackles ( over and over) and do the 1%ers all game.

Our forwards are lazy waiting for that one good Instagram shot to make them happy.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10