Pope Benedict admits evidence for evolution

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[quote author=Dan]
We know what it takes to support life as we know it.
We know there are a billion billion planets that have the properties to support life
we know life exists on our planet which means 1 in a billion

which if you do the math means through theory at least 1 billion supports life, maybe only half may, but even the biggest improbibilty is scalable to be more and more likely when you put it in perspective.
Sorry mate but how do we know for a fact that there are billion billion planets that have the properties to support life.

From what I have seen in the media scientists get their nickers in a twist when they discover 1 star/planet that may have ice on it which means water which means it could have once supported life as we know it.

[/quote]

Dawkins in Time magazine says 50billion universes, not 50 billion planets. :naughty:

Given how many planets there are in our universe alone...........

[quote author=Dan]
We know there are a billion billion planets that have the properties to support life

which if you do the math means through theory at least 1 billion supports life, maybe only half may, but even the biggest improbibilty is scalable to be more and more likely when you put it in perspective.
Sorry mate but how do we know for a fact that there are billion billion planets that have the properties to support life.

From what I have seen in the media scientists get their nickers in a twist when they discover 1 star/planet that may have ice on it which means water which means it could have once supported life as we know it.

[/quote]

We us a technique whereby we view the spectrum of the planets, the colours that are shown within certain bands show the chemical make up of the planet, we also measure its proximity to its star. Essentially sitting in the magic zone. Out of that research we know those planets therefore contain the correct chemical make up and are in the correct proximity to their star. We can calculate to a fairly close estimate their mass and the mass of their star so can have a general idea of their gravitational pull.

Would you like more, or do you think the computer in front of you was made by god too?

[quote author=Utility Player]
[quote author=Dan]

[/quote]

Dawkins in Time magazine says 50billion universes, not 50 billion planets. :naughty:

Given how many planets there are in our universe alone...........

[/quote]

matas the quote you allude to doesnt exist, and is in context of something else. He is discussing multiverse theory

This is the problem you read one sensationilised quote that circulates in your community and you grab onto it like say GOSPEL

actually it's what I read in black and white in a Time magazine transcript of a debate between Dawkins and a geneticist.

As I'm yet to hear of Dawkins taking legal action against Time magazine I can only presume the transcript is correct.

Which "geneticist" matas?

Do you remember his name, can you give me the article date. Can you show me it on their website?

You see I can only assume you mean this article and "collins"
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1553986,00.html

Time keep an online archive of all their articles. You clearly did not read it in black and white you read somehting you thought you saw and took it out of context exactly as I said. Even 50 billion to one when put in perspective runs down to...a lot of places still out there.

I wont let you take the lazy easy option any more. You have two choices

Debate it fairly, with cites and known facts and stick to your side and point

or

Retreat

or another way of putting it.

Crap on as much as Dan does

or

Give up and do something abit more interesting.

or another way of putting it.

Crap on as much as Dan does

or

Give up and do something abit more interesting.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dan is like a laboratory rat. He hasn't even responded to the original posts but simply starts up with the recorded messages.

I wonder how the atheistics coped before Sir Daniel arrived on his trusty steed to fight against God, the evil Creationist, truth and the looney right of way!!!!

You see I can only assume you mean this article and \"collins\"

Time keep an online archive of all their articles. You clearly did not read it in black and white I wont let you take the lazy easy option any more. You have two choices

or

Retreat

So this statement (bottom of first page) doesn't exist in your universe?

Some excerpts from their spirited exchange:

:stupid:

Would you like more, or do you think the computer in front of you was made by god too?
I dont know about the computer but some of the heavenly bodies I have been able to view via the net are god like. ;)

Ok I did a bit more research (not nearly as much as you) and found that the definition for life as we know it is chains of carbon atoms and other chemicals. These were supposedly scattered throughout the universe a few billion years after the big bang.

I read an transcript of a speech by Stephen Hawkins (you can find it if you google "life in the universe")
Where he says that intelligent life could not exist without DNA and that we do not know how DNA molecules first appeared.

Which would make the odds of bumping into ET even more remote.

[quote author=Dan]
You see I can only assume you mean this article and \"collins\"

Time keep an online archive of all their articles. You clearly did not read it in black and white I wont let you take the lazy easy option any more. You have two choices

or

Retreat

So this statement (bottom of first page) doesn't exist in your universe?

Some excerpts from their spirited exchange:

:stupid:

[/quote]

Extremely lazy and poor form matas. I gave you a choice. Lack of evidence is not evcidence.

Just becuase it says "excerpts" this was the article as published!

So come out with the cite thank you or admit you are in over your head.

[quote author=Dan]
I dont know about the computer but some of the heavenly bodies I have been able to view via the net are god like. ;)

Ok I did a bit more research (not nearly as much as you) and found that the definition for life as we know it is chains of carbon atoms and other chemicals. These were supposedly scattered throughout the universe a few billion years after the big bang.

I read an transcript of a speech by Stephen Hawkins (you can find it if you google "life in the universe")
Where he says that intelligent life could not exist without DNA and that we do not know how DNA molecules first appeared.

Which would make the odds of bumping into ET even more remote.
[/quote]

That depends really. Life as we know it depends on water. That is the pre-requisite.

I just re-read part of the god delusion and found that i slightly misquoted. There are a billion billion planets in the universe not that can support life, but because we exist that means there is at least a 1 in a billion chance. which means that there life should exist on a billion planets

part of the full quote
-----------
Suppose life's origin on a planet took place through a hugely improbable stroke of luck, so improbable that it happens on only one in a billion planets. The National Science Foundation would laugh at any chemist whose proposed research had only a one in a hundred chance of succeeding, let alone one in a billion. Yet, given that there are at least a billion billion planets in the universe, even such absurdly low odds as these will yield life on a billion planets. And - this is where the famous anthropic principle comes in - Earth has to be one of them, because here we are.
--------------------

a link to part of the chapter

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-dawkins/why-there-almost-certainl_b_32164.html

Essentially that chapter is in debate to the whole "Random chance" argument that matas likes to bandy about.

are you being lazy again matas.

Play the game right.

Black holes are vacuums they are collapsing stars which then contain planets, So if you want to play games, yes some planets are.

Now either make a valid point with valid information or find another game. Others may have let you be lazy in your past but if you want to debate this we will use actual information.

I allege nothing, i use scientific knowledge already presented and studied by professionals all over the world.

You offer what?

Opinon, or are you an astronomy expert are you?

Sure you want to keep playing. either make the point you are hoping I will slip into or give up. No word games no trying for entrapment, say your point son.

I am on my way out so you have a whole day to come up with something.

toodles!

In fact I did.

I said "I allege nothing"

that was your answer. I wont be entrapped. Now make a point or you admit defeat.

make your point!

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6