Ponga wants 4 year 6million deal from Knights

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So, if I'm reading this correctly.....

Turbo is worth 1 million a season and Pingu is worth 50% more ?

baby.gif

Honestly he’s not far off the mark with that sort of money though. If Hunt is on $1.2 and Taylor on $1.1 then it sort of makes sense for $1.5.

He’s pretty talented and still pretty young. He will be a regular in rep teams for years.

In our game on the weekend he was the only player to have any impact apart from the Newcastle number 18 Henry Perineam.
Just because others are ridiculously overpaid doesn’t mean Ponga needs to be. Ponga is a talent but alone is not a match winner as recent form indicates. He’s a 1 mil a year player that’s it. I think it’s clear now this is why he tried to get into the 6 this year to demand more $$$. As an aside how on earth someone thought Ben Hunt is worth 1.2mil a year is beyond me. As dumb as some clubs are with recruitment at the end of the day players are worth whatever a club is prepared to pay.

Sounds to me like he simply wants to move back to live in Queensland ... the timing of this story release is interesting ..

He’s on circa 600k and they have him locked in until 2021. Option is in his favour for 2022 and he obviously won’t exercise that.

He wants 6M to take him to 2023.

So their options are pay 1.2M and let him go at the end of 2021, or pay 6M and keep him until 2023.

So they are asking for 4.8M for an extra 2 yrs.

It doesn’t work unless there’s an underlying threat of him walking out before his contract expires...
Agree. And if he walks... sue

If true, just how did this 'story' get out to the media?
Ponga's greedy manager wanting to suck more money from Newcastle. Absolute con-men these so-called managers.
How has this helped Ponga's relations with his fellow Knights players? Why would the 'story' be leaked now, with Newcastle in turmoil and Ponga still under contract until 2021.
I'll bet Ponga didn't authorise this leak. If I was him I'd change managers. Better still, I'd go to TAFE and do a business course and gain the necessary expertise to handle his own finances in the future.

I knew when he was being declared potentially the next Immortal that the kid would suddenly realise that teams learn to counter your skills and becoming a top ranker, means constantly adapting, like Tom T and Tedesco have. He's very skilful, but he could turn into another Ben Barba...very skilful but lacking consistency. We'll know in a few years.

Ponga is a superstar no doubt about that but his Manager has to come back down to earth with his demands .

Wasn't he taking guidance from Billy Slater on this? Who would either try lure him to Melbourne or encourage him, as the third or fourth best fullback in the game, to gauge as much out of Newcastle as possible. Clearly its the latter.

PS Ponga is maybe only the fourth best fullback in the comp.

At the moment Ponga isnt worth $1.5M. If that was the case then Teddy and Turbo are worth closer to $2M.

He is definetly a talent, but still has a way to go before he is at the level of the great full backs.

I wouldnt be surprised if the ARU are circling him though. With Folau out the door, they are looking for a talented full back.

According to some rumour bloke with a deep voice on dribble M, Pongo has been offered a 5m 4yr deal from the crusaders, thus the druggos offer.
Enjoy being bored.
Rich but bored...

I can def see the appeal of union.. Whilst it's boring to watch, I do laugh when nrl talks about being an international game, then play in Australia, nz and England (and on very rare occasions places like png or once offs in usa)
Meanwhile, a regular season for a rep union player can see them playing in aus,nz,fiji,japan,england/ireland/scotland etc etc, France, Spain, south Africa, usa and plenty more....
Paid more to travel the world.. Yes please..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8