Pommy Turd Stood Down

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
ENGLISH referee Russell Smith was today dumped from NRL first grade after his controversial performance in the match between Manly and Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Smith's name was left off the NRL match referee list for the eight games being played this weekend.

Experienced whistleblower Shayne Hayne and Jarred Maxwell both gained first grade recalls with Tony Archer to officiate the New South Wales City-Country clash on Friday night.

Smith was heavily criticised by both teams after Sunday's game.

He made what Manly coach Des Hasler referred to as "several questionable decisions".

Hasler even queried whether the former English Super League referee knew the rules of rugby league.

Wether you liked or disliked Bill Harrigan, since he moved on the overall refereeing standard has blatantly fallen.

The NRL should be taking a seriously hard look at the fall of standard and put in place measures to rectify and lift the standard over the longer term.

but at least they took some action and didnt ignore it for once.

Correct, I thought Finch would come out with the usual spin, to their credit they have taken the only action that they could have given Smith's performance last Sunday.

Wether you liked or disliked Bill Harrigan, since he moved on the overall refereeing standard has blatantly fallen.

The NRL should be taking a seriously hard look at the fall of standard and put in place measures to rectify and lift the standard over the longer term.
To be honest I thought Harrigan was the most overrated referee of all time. Why does a ref who doesn't EVER blow the whistle just for the sake of it, be considered good? If he wasn't such a pretty-boy (for a ref) he would never have gotten half that attention. He never picked up any errors. And he gave the Dogs a 7th tackle try in the '95 GF (I'll never forgive him for that). Bozo said he wanted to run him over with a cement truck :blaugh:

Sorry CC, he was the best ref I have seen. Set the standard and they are still getting there.
I think the ref efforts except for Smith, who I have never understood, have been very good.

Harrigan had a real thing against Manly & we had a poor record with him officiating. Wasn't sad to see him go. Don't mind a few errors as long as they're not consistently against Manly.

It was Eddie Ward who couldnt count in the 95 GF??
Really? My bad then. I coulda sworn it was Harrigan. Have I been holding a 10 year grudge against him for nothing? My head is spinning, I need to sit down......... :wall:

[quote author=Jatz Crackers]

To be honest I thought Harrigan was the most overrated referee of all time. Why does a ref who doesn't EVER blow the whistle just for the sake of it, be considered good? If he wasn't such a pretty-boy (for a ref) he would never have gotten half that attention. He never picked up any errors. And he gave the Dogs a 7th tackle try in the '95 GF (I'll never forgive him for that). Bozo said he wanted to run him over with a cement truck :blaugh:
[/quote]

I know what you mean CC. But Harigan was very good in 2 fundamental areas of reffing. Firstly he policed the 10 consistently well, which is a basic component of keeping the game honest. Secondly, although he had a sizable ego I feel he kept it in check when handing out penalties which (if done consistently) is a fundamental tick in the box from both a players perspective (which earned him respect from a fair number of players) and a fans perspective.

In comparison to Harrigan, some of todays refs hand out penalties because they get emotionally tied up & cranky at certain players. It seems they have this penchant for stamping their authority on a game and when some players put one word out of line............bam,,,,,,,a whistle blown when not really necessary. Monas was a good example. The refs didnt like him much.

Anyways,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the Refs boss needs a kick up the coit in my opinion. :lol2:

That guy who reffed the test - Klein I think - wasn't too bad. Is an Aussie and was voted best ref in SuperLeague. Swap him for Smith and we might be better off.

Harrigan was a biased tool super league scum ref who always leaned towards super league teams over ARL.

Kelvin Jeffs was the last good ref (cromer boy)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2