Poll .. Saab V Tuipulotu

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Which player do you throw the jersey to?

• Saab

• Tuipuluto

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tuipuluto holds his spot unless he keeps getting caught out by coming in and missing his man and leaving that edge open if he doesn't fix that someone else might have to come in then Saab could be waiting longer

Tuipuluto holds his spot unless he keeps getting caught out by coming in and missing his man and leaving that edge open if he doesn't fix that someone else might have to come in then Saab could be waiting longer
Keeps his spot this week, only because we have no wingers in the club.

Marking Sevo isn't ideal for anybody but ya gota do better than that, in all honesty. Predicting Tui to bounce back in a big way this Sat,..he's not marking last years leading try scorer is he.. mmm ?

Tui's form collapsed late last year, to the extent that honestly he did not belong in an NRL jersey. I think I may have stated that opinion at the time. Why Des kept picking him when all hope had already gone, you tell me. And I speak as someone who had definite raps on Tui earlier in season. But Jerseygate killed him.

There is still some Up in him I am certain. But currently his reads in defence make me flinch, and tough carries don't make up for that.

If it is him or Saab then it is Saab. If Saab is back by Rd 10 then I think he gets at least 12 tries for the year, and is a monster in the back line. He is fair dinkum going to be a star.

Early last year I was firmly in favour of Tui. Since then we saw Saab start to improve his defence and kick returns, while Tui seems to have regressed a bit.

Wingers are hard to judge because they are usually at the mercy of what happens inside them. For example Saabs defensive improvement coincided with shifting to the left where he had better defenders inside him, up against most teams weaker attacking edge. Regardless of who is there our left winger always looks better than our right winger.

Still can't really split them based on defence but I think Saabs improvement last year, offseason bulking and upside in attack, makes me lean his way. Still a couple of months for Tui to step up and make a case to stay but if Saab was fit I'd have him in this week.

Keeps his spot this week, only because we have no wingers in the club.
The Other winger in top 30 is Veaga , Would he be an improvement on Tui ? So Tui needs to improve, or Weekes gets a crack While Saab gets fit

Tui has had a poor start to yet year by his standards but back to his best I can see a player who has the toughness and puts in the work to do the important carry’s that keep Manly in games.

Saab is great in open field but I never get the sense he has the strength. I compare him a lot to Tupou who has both the height and toughness.

NYEagle

Tui isn't a rice-paper defender like Saab, he just doesn't read the play - in a way that reminded me of Suli. Suli wasn't a bad tackler/hitter, he was just a bad defender when it came to set-plays of the opposition and reading the play. Tui is similar.

Tui also does some seriously good hitups on return carries in the first 1-3 tackles of a set from deep in our half. Not to be understated. Again, Suli was similar. From memory, Saab gets ragdolled like Garrick used to. Times change tho, and Garrick is no longer a gimp when it comes to return carries - indeed the guy breaks the 1st tackle more often than not nowadays.

Could Tui put on a hit akin to Taufua v Munster? Probs. Could Saab? maybe....well not without messing up his hair tho.. so Yeah...nah mate aint happening. Saab ain't collecting hit of the year award any time soon.

But could Tui stop a scrum 20m out targeting his wing with an overlap play? Probs, Nope. Could Saab? Probs, nope. Saab is a faster, better finisher, and Tui is the guy you would want taking those first 1-3 hitups after a set that starts inside our 20m zone, and running in for that early hit on an unsuspecting recipient of a wayward pass. Neither of them would be the guy you want making a defensive read on the final play of a golden point match.

Personally, Saab's speed and finishing ability for me outweighs Tui's assets, but he's not as bad as some are making out here. He just has to learn to keep a defensive structure and not panic and he'll be an adequate fill-in til Saab returns.

The big question on Saab is does he play as well off Koula/Parker as he used to off Harper - Harper/Saab had some special bromance going in 2021.

The Other winger in top 30 is Veaga , Would he be an improvement on Tui ? So Tui needs to improve, or Weekes gets a crack While Saab gets fit
Weekes is an exciting prospect but he is destined to be a spine player. Veaga is an exciting prospect but if he is thrown into 1st grade at this stage it won't be long until we are calling for him to be sacked just like Tui.

Tui isn't as bad as Silvertails would have you believe, stick the Fox or To'o on our right wing last week they would've looked just as ordinary.

Tui isn't a rice-paper defender like Saab, he just doesn't read the play - in a way that reminded me of Suli. Suli wasn't a bad tackler/hitter, he was just a bad defender when it came to set-plays of the opposition and reading the play. Tui is similar.

Tui also does some seriously good hitups on return carries in the first 1-3 tackles of a set from deep in our half. Not to be understated. Again, Suli was similar. From memory, Saab gets ragdolled like Garrick used to. Times change tho, and Garrick is no longer a gimp when it comes to return carries - indeed the guy breaks the 1st tackle more often than not nowadays.

Could Tui put on a hit akin to Taufua v Munster? Probs. Could Saab? maybe....well not without messing up his hair tho.. so Yeah...nah mate aint happening. Saab ain't collecting hit of the year award any time soon.

But could Tui stop a scrum 20m out targeting his wing with an overlap play? Probs, Nope. Could Saab? Probs, nope. Saab is a faster, better finisher, and Tui is the guy you would want taking those first 1-3 hitups after a set that starts inside our 20m zone, and running in for that early hit on an unsuspecting recipient of a wayward pass. Neither of them would be the guy you want making a defensive read on the final play of a golden point match.

Personally, Saab's speed and finishing ability for me outweighs Tui's assets, but he's not as bad as some are making out here. He just has to learn to keep a defensive structure and not panic and he'll be an adequate fill-in til Saab returns.

The big question on Saab is does he play as well off Koula/Parker as he used to off Harper - Harper/Saab had some special bromance going in 2021.
You read my mind and wrote it down better than I ever could've.

Weekes is an exciting prospect but he is destined to be a spine player. Veaga is an exciting prospect but if he is thrown into 1st grade at this stage it won't be long until we are calling for him to be sacked just like Tui.

Tui isn't as bad as Silvertails would have you believe, stick the Fox or To'o on our right wing last week they would've looked just as ordinary.
Exactly, isn't DCE on his side tho, surely he'd be giving Tui a bit of advice on what's coming and where he wants Tui to be positioned. Then again DCE's reads when marking up aren't the best anyway.

Exactly, isn't DCE on his side tho, surely he'd be giving Tui a bit of advice on what's coming and where he wants Tui to be positioned. Then again DCE's reads when marking up aren't the best anyway.
It's our whole right edge, DCE, Guac, Koula and Tui. Their decision making isn't in sync. No 1 player is to blame. If 1 holds and slides they all need to do the same. If 1 rushes up and in they all need to follow. The issue is when one player zigs another zags and someone ends up looking foolish.

Modern wingers don't know how to defend the wing position. I was told never leave your wing except under extreme pressure to stop an enivitable try. These days they almost never mark up against their opponent. If you leave your wing to rush in and the ball gets outside you for your opponant, it's almost always a try. However if to stay posted wide and the ball gets out you are right in front of your opposite with a good chance of defending. Even if your centre rushes in and the winger stays on his wing the cover defence has a 10 metre better chance of cleaning up than if it gets out to your wing opponant. It amazes me that wing defence isn't followed properly, as it's really simple. Don't leave your wing !!

Modern wingers don't know how to defend the wing position. I was told never leave your wing except under extreme pressure to stop an enivitable try. These days they almost never mark up against their opponent. If you leave your wing to rush in and the ball gets outside you for your opponant, it's almost always a try. However if to stay posted wide and the ball gets out you are right in front of your opposite with a good chance of defending. Even if your centre rushes in and the winger stays on his wing the cover defence has a 10 metre better chance of cleaning up than if it gets out to your wing opponant. It amazes me that wing defence isn't followed properly, as it's really simple. Don't leave your wing !!
In a world of roses and rainbows, yes this is ideal. In reality, when there is an overlap, statistically the defending team has a far greater chance of stopping a try by using the sideline as an extra defender than by letting a player through on the inside. The best teams will always jam in and show you the sideline, and the key is to be fit enough and disciplined enough to slide across as a team in cover. Tui has to stay with his centre as long as the opposition has an overlap.

If Tui religiously held his wing position and the centre goes through untouched then it's just as much his fault. Even though the props do most of the grunt work, wingers are the most likely to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4