Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think (and hope) they will play and that the club (read owners) backs down and reverts to a standard jersey.

Looks like no one on the management side at Fort Fumble has had any staff training in the armed forces (yes, of course they haven’t) where you are taught to think through the consequences of your decision making. In Australia we call it the JMAP (Joint Military Appreciation Process).

If they had, none of this would have happened. At the risk of sounding wise after the event, the first inkling of potential disaster was that the three players modelling the jumpers are of Anglo-Saxon/Celtic stock. Not a Jason Saab or a Polynesian player in sight.

Well played Manly-Warringah. Well played.

Let’s hope Tony Mestrov can bring some Ken Arthurson/Frank Stanton-style common sense to the CEO role, in turn lasting more than the figurative five minutes in the job.

The optimist in me also hopes that this could be the beginning of the end of the Penn family’s involvement in the club - which in footballing parlance, has been one unforced error after another, for about 15 years now.

To be fair, they may have had no inkling of this, but it doesn’t help matters when the chairman chooses to live and work in NYC - instead of having his ‘finger on the pulse’ here in Sydney.

Last edited:
Some thoughts:
Again, posting as a lesbian who was so thrilled with the announcement this morning that I immediately bought a jersey. I hadn't planned on going to the game on Thursday but if it arrives, I will attend, wearing it proudly.
As someone who sat on the hill with a homophobic mother for decades, a mother who kicked me out of the house when I told her, I was as thrilled about this jersey as I was to have Ian Roberts wear our colours all those years ago.
Incidentally, after decades my mother did decide that loving me was more important than siding with the hatred of others.

Parents who did not come around though were those of the gay Polynesian twins who needed a whole group of us in our early twenties to go around to their parents house to get all their possessions from the front lawn where they had been thrown out. Those parents never spoke to their twins again. So, from my perspective, there's a long history of Polynesian gay hate.

I wondered then if the ferocity of their beliefs was so strong because the Islands were such a target of the Vatican's missionaries. I'd imagined it was fairly extreme preaching, full of fear. That is conjecture on my part.

I also wonder now if this decision by the seven players is less their own and more that of their preachers.

I question though, these players commitment to the club over their church. Clearly the church wins and I don't know how, as a club, you deal with that.

If I ran a club with half the playing group with very serious religious beliefs, I would have worried about having gambling and alcohol sponsors because we know that both lead to suicides and domestic violence and religious people are supposed to care about people, especially the downtrodden. Once I'd gotten that vice stuff past them, I would have thought the inclusivity jersey would have been a doddle. So yes, I would have made the same mistake.

I don't entirely buy the players not being aware of it because Foz, Reubs, and Keppie did a photo shoot with the jerseys. Do the players not talk? And I know people are blowing up at the club over lack of consultation but I'd imagine they didn't consult on any of the other special jerseys and honestly didn't imagine in 2022 yada yada yada

I'm also a bit sad but not surprised that Des supports the players over the club. I know he's religious and likes to keep his players on side but I will never get over the feeling that he still somehow resents the club and is here for his coaching career and nothing else. Listen to his language in press conferences and interviews. You will hear it. And maybe he thought we couldn't win this week anyway so stick it to the club and keep the players where he needs them.
Good thing we don't have a gay player, eh?

Lastly, love ya guts Manly!!!
Wow Budgie
What a post.

If that is true Isz, you need to get out more often.

I used to write letters to the SMH and go through my letter box in the week following getting hate mail. Two posters here in my view have been clearly homophobic. Two or three others on the other side of the debate have been racist to Polynesian people in my opinion. The rest have been decent, willing and generally respectful. As a society we need to be able to disagree in an agreeable way. I probably don't understand the opposite view to mine as best as I should. I'm trying to read and listen better. I hope tomorrow brings a good resolution to the problem.
And this is the issue. We must respect all peoples opinions and beliefs. Including the Polly lads who believe in old mate in the sky. When it comes to these issues, less is more otherwise you’re walking on dangerous ground.

Players can be encouraged to do stuff outside of the game on a voluntary basis. But forcing them to support these issues will never go down well.

Forcing them to promote (in their eyes, rightly or wrongly) a sin, is nonsensical and was only going to end in disappointment. You won’t win an argument when it comes to religious beliefs, so stop trying.

Accepting differences and being inclusive is not a one way street. The hypocrisy of the left is truly remarkable.

I seem to recall SBW being allowed to wear a different jersey because of his religious beliefs - may have been in union though. Also wasn’t there something around Suaali and his debut jersey being different because he was under 18 ??

Of course if these players are missing, do we have enough remaining fit players in the squad to make it to 17 on the night?

And are those replacements on board with the latest jersey off the Gary Wolman ‘must have/open your wallets’ fashion carousel?

Can they play out of position if need be?

Will the NRL allow them to bring in players from outside the top 30? Or will Manly be forced to default on Thursday night?

Is this a self-inflicted wound? Answer: YES!
Just employing the JMAP I referred to earlier.;) Feel free to add any more.

I seem to recall SBW being allowed to wear a different jersey because of his religious beliefs - may have been in union though. Also wasn’t there something around Suaali and his debut jersey being different because he was under 18 ??
Unibet was taken off his jersey while at the Roosters. Also some banks while he was at rugby. But the combination of Roosters and a muslim SBW can get away with it while 7 Christian poly's at Manly will be pilloried

The NRL needs to step in and set some strong policy for jersey/uniforms. How can clubs be allowed to go of their own bat and wear a different jersey every second week?

Would not happen in the NFL or most other major sports; the governing body for those sports already has those rules in place.

Two random thoughts here.

I know the NRL's policy would be the whole team needs to wear the same jersey, but considering the blow up and media space this will take all week, and cosidering its a pretty minor change, the NRL should show some discretion.

As for the players, I dont see why boycotting is the only option. The 7 players could contact the media or hold a press conference where they go on record stating they will play but they do not support the clubs initiative as it goes againt their cultural beliefs (actually going to a journo probs better then a presser where they get interogated).
That way they have demonstrated their position and can fulfil there contractual obligations. I dunno maybe I'm simplifying it too much.

Alcohol is fine, gambling no problem,
There is a qualitative difference. These are sponsors' jerseys, whereas the rainbow is not - it is a cultural position or cause

All Polynesian players in the NRL sit out this round.
Or all our players agree to sit out the game in solidarity with their Islander team mates :)

These guys are employed to do a job. Part of that job requires them to wear a uniform. That's what it is in effect - a uniform.
If your employer told you to wear a badge all day supporting a cause with which you didn't agree or else not come to work, what would you do? In this respect, it will be interesting to see what the RLPA's response is to this situation, esp. as DCE is President.

They have taken the opportunity to express their outage over a ****ing rainbow and made a non-issue into an issue,
The seven players are very young men - ages 19, 21 x 3, 23 & so on. Certain doctrines have been inculcated into their minds all their lives at church and also are reinforced by family members etc. If you've ever discussed religion with a hard core Christian (or other faith) you'll appreciate how fixed they can be in their views. No amount of discussion will sway them otherwise. Thus, for these players, this is not s non issue. It appears Australia is a predominantly secular society & sometimes it can be difficult for those with ingrained secular beliefs to empathise with those who have ingrained religious beliefs (and maybe vice versa).

Why can't the 'stood down' players wear our normal Manly jersey?
Apparently, the NRL won't allow players of the same team to wear disparate jerseys.

Let's hope common sense prevails and there is a compromise which allows all our players to take the field on Thursday night. Most of the seven are everyone's favourites on a weekly basis and have the potential to be the core of successful Sea Eagles teams for years to come.

I will hand back my membership if the 7 players boycott.

Wearing the jersey isn’t promoting LGBTQIA, it is about showing acceptance for the people in those communities.
I bought the jersey and will get keep the membership. I would have handed it back had the club folded and changed the jersey.
I wonder what the attitude of some of the furious on here would have been if seven pacifist anti-war players had refused to wear the Anzac jersey and chose to sit on the sidelines instead.

Let's be honest its not about anything but selling jerseys. Anyone who bought one was conned by the apparent "cause" they were supporting. Its business nothing else.

Arguably our most important game of the season and we decide this is the time to be the moral adjudicator of the rugby league, with zero consultation with the players? Whoever it was in management that allowed this to happen needs to be dismissed immediately.

Regardless of your position on this topic, anybody with more than an iota of intelligence would understand that this is a divisive issue for many (particularly many of those in the playing squad and fan base). To further the plight of the LGBTQ+ community in the NRL requires a proper education process for the players and community - not just throwing rainbows on a jersey and hoping it will change peoples stance on an issue that has been deeply ingrained in them their entire life. The stupidity of how this has played out is an absolute embarrassment for the club.

If all what Kent says here is true, it's not a very good look for the club

Kent said the club “should be embarrassed” for how they handled the decision which was announced on Monday and saw three players pose for photos in the jersey.

“Major dramas at the club. The players only became aware they were wearing this jersey this morning when they read it in the newspaper,”

“Because of their own cultural and religious beliefs they have an issue with it and it’s to be dealt with and has to be dealt with fairly quickly.

The Manly club did this without any consultation of the players, they did it without board approval, it didn’t get raised at board level. It’s basically a marketing decision and they just assumed that everything was ok.”

Firstly, f*ck Paul Kent. Flog of the highest order.

I still don't believe that the playing group didn't know about this. Foz, Reubs and Keppie would have done their photo shoot over a week or more ago. Did it really not get back to the playing group? I just simply cannot accept that the first time they heard about the jersey was reading the paper yesterday morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10