Poll added - Sea Eagles Everyone in League jersey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

how does this play out?

• the religious 7 ride into the sunset and never play for Manly again

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • the religious 7 are all reinstated next week with no hard feelings

Votes: 132 69.1%
  • Vlandys goes ahead with his Pride Round next year

Votes: 36 18.8%
  • Manly use the Everyone in League jersey forever more

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • one or 2 of the 7 are sacked as ringleaders

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • all or most accept some enlightenment on the issue and will wear the jersey in future

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • Manly never mention Everyone in League again...

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • Several players sek immediate release from Manly

Votes: 23 12.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside with 7 players having say an average of two kids there is a fair chance that at least one of their children will be gay.

If their parents (to be confirmed, media speculation at this point etc) can not even wear a jersey for 80 minutes how will they go parenting a gay child?
You don't know, do you? If you equate not wearing a pride jersey with "how will they go parenting a gay child" and all the inferences that go with that then I am sorry. I know parents of gay kids who may disagree with their choices, still love and accept them.

Wow who knew that choice of scrubs could derail a season!. It’s getting ridiculous.

While I in no way agree with the sentiment of the 7 players it is a massive own goal that this jersey was chosen without consultation and not respecting the sensitivities of the players. It is a massive assumption to assume that they will all be ok with it. Religion goes back a long way and they are disciples to that religion at it is tied to large family and community values. Different people take different lengths of time to evolve. That’s how you get cancel culture when everybody is expected to steer in the same direction at the same time. That can be dangerous and can be used for societal control.
It’s like that whole Margaret Court thing - I completely disagree with everything she says - but you can’t just make her name disappear from the public eye and be in denial about her tennis achievements if you were to listen to her diatribe you can see that 30 years ago a lot more people were nodding at her sentiments, now we all want to cancel her?. That’s dangerous. Debate is healthy. Ignorant people who ignore science and human nature eventually fade away, but nothing is irreversible and nothing happens in an instant, nor should it if it means a lot to a lot of people.

Ok to fix this Manly EXECS - admit you stuffed up. Lose the jersey for this weekend.

Otherwise season over. Ridiculous.

NYEagle

I am proud to have two hands that i did not create. You shouldn't be proud of something you are "born with" requiring no effort from yourself.
Ahh, OK i see your point now, thanks. I think the pride issue is more to do with feeling disempowered and marginalised for their sexuality. The pride part, as I see it, is standing up and asserting one's sexuality in spite of the adversity?

Which is why this is not a single game issue... these players have made it clear that their beliefs do not align with the values of the club... so, unless the club is prepared to crab-walk away from those values, these blokes do not have a future at Manly...
Not sure I'd go that far. They have their right to their beliefs. Are their beliefs incompatible with what the club is aiming for? Maybe. But that is a decision they need to make.

Does wearing the jersey reflect their personal beliefs of the individual? Of course not, we all know it doesn't. But a few colours on a shirt should not be causing these issues.

Sexuality is nothing to be proud about, that is half the issue.
Sexual pride in the context of people who are marginalised, with little to no legitimate influence or consideration beyond economic exploitation for something that is not a choice and stigmatized to a level that produces numerous negative impacts to society and the individual, including but not limited to increased antisocial behaviour and increased suicide rates - must just be they're inclined to being unalive because they're gay, not the fact they're treated like **** for it.

Last edited:
Not sure I'd go that far. They have their right to their beliefs. Are their beliefs incompatible with what the club is aiming for? Maybe. But that is a decision they need to make.

Does wearing the jersey reflect their personal beliefs of the individual? Of course not, we all know it doesn't. But a few colours on a shirt should not be causing these issues.
Agreed but these blokes have refused to play because of a value expressed by the club... it is a very public stance against the club (not simply the issue)...

Well said and I agree it's poor management and consultation and should not have come to this. Surely some middle and sensible ground could be found, especially when our season's on the line. Why can't the 'stood down' players wear our normal Manly jersey? Give the players the choice, keep the team together, get back to playing footy and save our season!
exactly , footy players are contracted and paid to represent the club and just play footy . no harm in the theme of the round or whatever but surely whether some of the players jerseys features a set additional emblem or not is irrelevant if they still all have a sea eagle emblem as well .

Ahh, OK i see your point now, thanks. I think the pride issue is more to do with feeling disempowered and marginalised for their sexuality. The pride part, as I see it, is standing up and asserting one's sexuality in spite of the adversity?
I'm sure this is the case but the way it was worded can come across in many ways, positive and negatively.

Why is this still going on??????

GET RID OF THAT JERSEY NOW!!!!
No way we can get rid of the jersey. I wouldn't be surprised if this cements this jersey into use every year.

If we backed down from wearing it, we would lose fans and sponsors in droves.

As it is, I will be uncomfortable talking about manly at work as I don't want to be seen through the lens of these 7.

Getting rid of the jersey would be catastrophic financially now

You don't know, do you? If you equate not wearing a pride jersey with "how will they go parenting a gay child" and all the inferences that go with that then I am sorry. I know parents of gay kids who may disagree with their choices, still love and accept them.
Like they love and accept a jersey?

Agreed but these blokes have refused to play because of a value expressed by the club... it is a very public stance against the club (not simply the issue)...
Not publicly expressed. Journos did it, isn't an Izzy situation. Hence I am willing to cut some slack.

I have a real issue with some of these blokes from these South Pacific cultures. There parents and grand parents come here to Australia to give them a great life and the opportunities they get to earn good money playing league. They are born in australia which means their Australians their get their opportunity to be professional athletes because they grew up here but then they want to represent another country.

Time to get the fatigue back in to the game and weed out these fakes and bring back the small men like the indigenous fellas and the small kids that leave the game at junior level because of these clowns.
You’re a deadset imbecile.

Imagine being on your high horse derailing a group of players for sticking up for their beliefs and yet racially profiling a large entity of the NRL playing group.

What a dead set pork chop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8