Points Change for tries off Bombs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Denno

Reserve Grader
I don,t Know if this has been on anyone else's mind but getting a little tired of tries scored off Bombs,there nearly always has to be a replay,and a lot of the time there is conjecture surrounding them.
5th tackle Bomb,5th tackle Bomb.........gets a little boring,
Just a suggestion but how about 2 or 3 points for a try scored off a bomb and 4 for all others.........THOUGHTS...?

This was floated and tested I believe a few years back in the Indigenous games.

At the time it was suggested that tries from kicks or bombs would not have the option of a conversion at least for kicks within the 20m

I actually like the concept, but the NRL are determined to make things as much like the AFL as possible.

The biggest thing in AFL is the SPECI....Mark....?.The BIggest thing in NRL is ball movement through the hands ....?I think anyway..!

Denno said:
The biggest thing in AFL is the SPECI....Mark....?.The BIggest thing in NRL is ball movement through the hands ....?I think anyway..!

You would think, but the NRL dont see it like that, they dont realise the people that love NRL actually love things like great defense rather than a million tries. For some reason the marketing team they have employed over the last few years don't see the things that make NRL great and the things that make it stand out as a great sport.

The NFL are only now catching on to the tacklings styles that come out of Rugby and Rugby League, yet we just want to promote a high scoring acrobatic game. Its another case of us trying to take what other sports are doing and copying them, rather than trying to innovate and keep to what has made the game so popular for so long

Its one of the many things that has evolved in the Bellamy era. Like him or hate him he has changed the way the game is played.

I would dearly love to see that any kind of tap back from these kicks and cross field bombs be deemed as knock-ons. Let's promote a skill of being able to catch a ball. I detest the lottery that ensues after the kick.

Just change the rule:

For any kick above a defenders head, such as your traditional bomb, a defending player attempting to take the bomb has first and last rights to catch it without any interference or challenge. An attacking player cannot touch the player taking the bomb until the ball is caught.

A defending player can only contest the ball if the bomb is dropped or after the ball has bounced.

silvertail said:
Just change the rule:

For any kick above a defenders head, such as your traditional bomb, a defending player attempting to take the bomb has first and last rights to catch it without any interference or challenge. An attacking player cannot touch the player taking the bomb until the ball is caught.

A defending player can only contest the ball if the bomb is dropped or after the ball has bounced.

Can't wait for endless replays trying to figure out how high the ball went and how many defenders were taller/shorter than that height. I know all the fans really love that aspect of the game!

On second thought I reckon Toddy may just announce this "slight tweek" just prior to the finals - once Dessie has had a chance to put his halves through a few drills of course!

If it aint broke don't fix it. Leave it alone.

I happen to like the kicks into the in-goal.

It evolved from NFL 'alioop' or 'Hail Mary' play.

In the NFL the quarterback throws a deft pass to wide receivers into the corner of the end-zone.

And before anyone says this is league not American Football just have a look a the similarities of both games with some of the similar rules:

NRL

6 tackles
Kick after 5th
If caught in-goal back to 20 metre
Markings on the field (gridiron)
Lateral passes (ostensibly only if you don't play for the Roosters)

NFL

4 tackles
Kick after 3rd down
If caught in-goal back to 20 yard line
Markings on the field (gridiron)
Only laterals after scrimmage line with one forward pass behind the line (I put that in to highlight the general allowing of dummy-half forward passes being let go.)

There are others but I'll not bore you dear reader with them. But suffice it to say even the names of our teams were borrowed from USA.

For example - Knights, Bears, Titans, Cowboys, Broncos, Steelers and Rams.

Overall, I like the play and I for one feel it needs to remain as it is.

I would even go so far as to say it should be rewarded with a conversion taken in front of the posts.

This would entice more attempts and even open up the field a bit more for attack and maybe even get the desired result of the opponents of this idea to score more tries up the centre as the defence would block the corner kick knowing it would almost certainly result in a six-point try as opposed to a four-point try.

Have had a few ideas but its tough to work out anything 100% right...
The thing is, there are those sloppy lottey cross field kicks that pinball around against an 80 metre try through 8 sets of hands showing speed, brilliance & skill...how are they the same points??
At the same time how do we measure it, as theres plenty of sensational tries off kicks where the ball is marked & the skill & timing involved are worth every bit of 4 points, as is the chip kicks ala Foran/Snake combinations....
If anything, maybe the ball needs to be marked on the full or the try is worth 3 points....chip kicks & grubbers are worth the 4 as there is far more precision involved.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4