Point your finger at the board

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ceagle

Bencher
Most people seem to be putting the full blame on Des for the fallout of staff leaving, but we have to point blame towards the dysfunctional board, they have obviously upset the apple cart enough for all these staff to be leaving. We can't just ignore what is going, we need to point blame towards the board and have them oust before any more damage is done.

Get rid of Reily or have URM buy the shares.

Ceagle said:
Most people seem to be putting the full blame on Des for the fallout of staff leaving, but we have to point blame towards the dysfunctional board, they have obviously upset the apple cart enough for all these staff to be leaving. We can't just ignore what is going, we need to point blame towards the board and have them oust before any more damage is done.

Mate i'm not here to bag manly at all. its been a good strong club for past few years, as a dogs fan it is something to envy based on past 2 years alone. anyway i'm not disappointed in the dogs, they have done the best thing they can sign the winning coach and the people that want to follow him and no doubt des wants to follow him.

the thing is your right though, your pointing the finger in the right direction. the people who keep saying dollar de$ or whatever is a load of crap, he signed for less money. the fact that you blame that shows your bitter. if you need anymore proof look at the 5-7? coaching staff to follow? I mean seriously come on if that doesn't tell you that there is huge problems behind the doors then what does?

i hope you guys bounce back mate i dont want to see any club go through this.

thedogs88 said:
Ceagle said:

Mate i'm not here to bag manly at all. its been a good strong club for past few years, as a dogs fan it is something to envy based on past 2 years alone. anyway i'm not disappointed in the dogs, they have done the best thing they can sign the winning coach and the people that want to follow him and no doubt des wants to follow him.

the thing is your right though, your pointing the finger in the right direction. the people who keep saying dollar de$ or whatever is a load of crap, he signed for less money. the fact that you blame that shows your bitter. if you need anymore proof look at the 5-7? coaching staff to follow? I mean seriously come on if that doesn't tell you that there is huge problems behind the doors then what does?

i hope you guys bounce back mate i dont want to see any club go through this.

The board need a great deal of blame but I think theres a fair chance only reason Des signed for less money was he'd accepted a deal long before it was announced and he'd recieved the final offer from Manly.

All I hope is that we keep both Foran and DCE, as long as those two stay I feel no matter what coaching staff we have, we will be alright, but I still feel at least one of them will leave, just crossing my fingers.

Yes maybe half the reason was he was offered a nice sum from the Dogs, but he wouldn't of considered leaving if the board wasn't so inept.

Ceagle said:

Herein lies the voice of reason (reference my new signature). A concerted campaign of interference has been run to sheet home the blame for the current mess to Des. There is not a scrap of evidence that he signed ages ago, and it is on record that we matched or bettered the Bulldogs bid.

Many players have signed with Manly for less because of lifestyle reasons and out of loyalty. The ongoing tensions tested Des' loyalty (and those of his close and trusted support crew) and they have now exercised their right to go somewhere else for lifestyle reasons, and issues of sanity (despite some covertly peddling propaganda that it has something to do with science). This is a slippery slope from which the club may not recover.

Its ludicrous to think we will not recover, all the staff leaving are replaceable. These staff had to leave at some point, and just because it happened prematurely the club will never recover? Please.

Its also on record that Des didnt sign in April because it wanted more money - which he recieved, far more, from the dogs.

Looks like he took the dogs offer then started to do deals with the staff he wanted to take then manly came back with the higher offer once they could afford it without crippling the club financially.

Board is a cancer but Des is a parasite.

Ceagle said:

Why is the board dysfunctional and how would it effect Des? Please explain

A lot of people are assuming that the board is a bunch of halfwits.with no clue to what is going on.
I don't know any personally, only a couple by reputation alone, and they strike me as they know what they are doing.
OK, we came fifth in2006,second in 2007,we won in 2008, ran fifth in 2009 and eighth in 2010, good but until the end of this year hardly spectacular.
Des was after an extension to his contract last year, and, or the begining of this year, but I don't think his results at this stage justifying paying him Bellamy and Bennett type of money, Des obviously thought he was entitled to more money and the club had a wait and see attitude.
Once the dogs showed interest it was all over, Des got his money and more important his pride restored by the dogs, Manly had no chance of retaining him.
The dogs , probaly knew the status of some of the contracts of the players and of possible defections and this falls into their plans, Hasler is one cog in the machine,players like Foran,Stewert, make up the other cogs.
Was the board negligent in not signing Hasler to a larger contract earlier, in hindsight due to the way we finished, Yes they were negligent, but how many other clubs have signed coaches to extended deals, only to have to pay them out early.

People forget that Bellamy and Bennet have built their reputation at clubs who are at the top of the tree with a massive unfair advantage over the rest.

Hasler has achieved his success with the club ranked 15th for resources.

I seem to remember that we were once touted in the press as having state of the art facilities at Narrabeen. Didn't we also have, state of the art, out of space tracking gizmos? Didn't they all sup at the bleeding cut of a fattened calf? Doesn't sound like some 15th ranked joint (no pun intended). Where did that 15th come from, the Tele? Toovs will go alright, even with the 15th ranked resources.. Keep the faith.

A question that has been asked here, yet I've not seen answered is:
Why is there no cap on coaches/trainers and support staff, just as there is with players?
If it comes down to money, someone like Tinkler would be able to reek off-field havoc to a successful opposition club, and get away with it.
If anyone knows the answer I'd like to read it.

The Who said:
A question that has been asked here, yet I've not seen answered is:
Why is there no cap on coaches/trainers and support staff, just as there is with players?
If it comes down to money, someone like Tinkler would be able to reek off-field havoc to a successful opposition club, and get away with it.
If anyone knows the answer I'd like to read it.

Good question for gallop.

DSM5 said:
I seem to remember that we were once touted in the press as having state of the art facilities at Narrabeen. Didn't we also have, state of the art, out of space tracking gizmos? Didn't they all sup at the bleeding cut of a fattened calf? Doesn't sound like some 15th ranked joint (no pun intended). Where did that 15th come from, the Tele? Toovs will go alright, even with the 15th ranked resources.. Keep the faith.

Des was a great player, and out of nowhere came Tooves surpassing Des as a player. Whose to say the same thing won't happen now as coach.

I hope so.

I love Toovs and always loved to see him running around on the ground telling the guys where to stand etc. He'll be fine. All I want to see is us being competitive, beating the Dogs, Souths, Parra and Wests in that order. Everything else will be a bonus.

DSM5 said:

A lot of clubs have caught up and gone past Narrabeen. It was a good pick up nearly a decade ago and we got it for a song at the time. But few clubs operate out of demountables like we do.

15th is common sense. It is little secret that we have not been spending the cap and I would say only the Sharks are behind us. We were rock bottom when Hasler took over in 2004 and all that has changed is we are winning. Even the sports science advantages we enjoyed came because we were ahead of the bell curve in innovation. It remains to be seen if this will continue. Our competitive advantages were savvy and hard fought.

DSM5 said:
I love Toovs and always loved to see him running around on the ground telling the guys where to stand etc. He'll be fine. All I want to see is us being competitive, beating the Dogs, Souths, Parra and Wests in that order. Everything else will be a bonus.

That's a fair comedown from winning Premierships.

Matas, it seemed to me that the difference between 2009, 2010 and 2011 was our fitness, not the demountables or other material structures. Des might be lured by the bling that we taxpayers have given to the Dogs, but those things don't necessarily lead to success. Donny Singe had the guys very fit in 2011, and this meant wins in the second half of the game, unlike the previous two years. I'm very pleased that he's re-signed with us. The four teams that I want to see us beat was a minimum for me. Premierships are rare and hardfought. And, as a team wins one, it makes it harder, for obvious reasons, to continue to win them year in year out. So the 15th is your assessment then? Right.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4