Players to debut for Manly in 2020 ??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Who do you think will get a run in the Top 17 in Manly, yet to play first grade ??
Not adding Keppie, Oka ect who have had game time.

I have a few smokies.....

* Musgrove - Elusive centre with great natural attacking vision...unsure of his defence, but will get a chance come trials.

* Ben Turbo - A big explosive kid, who will be in the Top grade by 2021, if not 2020 imo.

* Albert Hoppa - Arguably the most potential of all the Hoppa's...but this means little if carrying injuries or resting on reputation - pace, fend and freakish talent.

* Schuster - At 18 with the ability and strength, quickness and amazing skills, hope to see him in 2020, if not - will feature 2021 - Star in the making.

Would almost have added big Zac Saddler, but unsure if eligable - Massive bloke with plenty of ability....damn the depth is starting to look good !!

I'd say Hoppa is the best chance of that list as our outside back depth isn't great - Billy Elliot and Miski are about it. Musgrave and Smith may be ahead of him depending on whether we are looking for a centre or a winger. I can't see Burbo or Schuey getting a run this season unless we have a horror injury run.

Miski's already played first grade. Three games (I think)last year.

What about Funa? I kept reading about him on the site last season.

Miski seemed like a handy player, but I don't see too much first grade opportunities for him in his career. I'm looking forward to next year, but 2021/2022 is when I think we will have our best chance of a premiership. DCE will still be in his prime. The Turbo's will be even better. We should still have AFB and Taupau. Add in the likes of Schuster, Ben Turbo and A.Hopoate. All things being equal, we should go very close.

Funa was in the 19 man squad a few times at the end of the season, so I think he will get an opportunity this season. Also, Musgrove's videos are very impressive. Depends on injuries how soon are star juniors get a run.

Miski's already played first grade. Three games (I think)last year.

What about Funa? I kept reading about him on the site last season.
Everything I've seen from Funa (which admittedly hasn't been that much) looks like quality. He was our U20s captain too, so evidently has a good head on his shoulders. He seems fairly quick, have seen him use a very good fend, and has good vision. Also kicks goals. I'd suggest he might be ahead of Hoppa Junior now, as he is a coupe of years older and was elevayed into top 19 a few times, as discussed. Hoppa will have to start from a long way back unfortunately, after 2 years of no football.

Funa, Schuster Musgrave and Hoppa to debut. I have to say I think our outside backs are quite strong with the players mentioned above aswell as Elliott not in the 17 I think it looks like we have enough talent and depth in that lot. We are a hooker short, even if Fainu does play!
Not sure the outcome of Manly management last week re hooker....as this Fainu case gets sorted....but hard to imagine no interest in a genuine NRL hooker rather than throwing Cust in and hoping...he does have some attributes that fit, but really a deep end call and a tough gig to learn in 1st grade

Funa will debut, and, if he has decided in his own mind that he wants to be an NRL player, he will probably retain his place when he does get a chance. Not lacking in ability or physical attributes.

Metcalfe is also a chance to debut. For Funa and Metcalfe it may be a case of now or never.

We will certainly debut a hooker, hard to name him as probably yet to be added to the roster!

If they are in the top 30 or development squad, I think Musgrave will be the most likely to appear early in the season. Hoppa will be given time to find his legs again and could be a show by mid season. Schuster will get his chance later in the year for sure. They wont waste that talent or risk him getting disenchanted and looking elsewhere. Ben Turbo and young Fainu could get a few matches towards seasons end. Zac may get an early promotion if the older Fainu is out for the season. They'll want a back up hooker, maybe one off the bench. Of course they may buy one. And of course a lot will depend on injuries and the performance of the top side. If there are few injuries and the side keeps wining, some of those players may struggle to get more than a game or two.

Presuming that D C E will be selected for S O O duties next season and with Elgey and Hodko gone now , would not be surprised if Metcalfe is not given some consideration as a back up 7 . Obviously Cust and Croker could fit the role as well but the hooker situation has to be sorted and with these two in some type of contention or as back up 9's . Reliable defence did seem to be an issue for Metcalfe a couple of seasons ago but is a good attacking player with junior rep experience and does have ability .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4