Players boycott media due to nrl dispute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I can't blame the players for wanting some support post their career. I wonder who determines what those within the NRL get paid and what benefits they receive. Their is a lot of money coming in from the broadcasting deals and all the mouths in the trough should be accountable and transparent.
Or players could actually employ a financial advisor to look after the good money they make and actually look after their own destiny?
None of us get any help and on average we are paid much less than some of these guys.
First class man babies sometimes.

NRL 2022: Noel Cleal unleashes on ‘greedy’ NRL stars amid CBA crisis​

Noel Cleal has gone nuclear on campaigning NRL stars amid the ongoing salary cap crisis, telling them to ‘go to buggery’ and claiming loyalty is dead.

Premiership-winning Manly legend and retiring recruitment manager Noel Cleal has accused modern-day rugby league players of being “greedy” and declared they should be told to “go to buggery” in their bid for more money in the NRL’s CBA crisis.
Cleal claimed Immortals like Reg Gasnier and John Raper would “roll in their graves” at the financial demands of current crop of players.

After a 25-year career in recruitment at Manly, Parramatta and Canterbury, Cleal announced his retirement on Tuesday as the last member of the Manly staff loyal to former coach Des Hasler.

Cleal did not want to comment on Hasler’s sacking at Brookvale, which could be headed for the courts, but had plenty to say about today’s NRL players.

“I think they’re f. ing greedy,” Cleal, who played 128 games for Manly after making his club debut in 1983.
“We have a duty to leave a legacy in the game and greed shouldn’t be part of that legacy.

“If I was Peter V’landys, I’d be telling them to go to buggery. They can’t keep going back to the well – we want more, more, more.

“Go to buggery!

“Today, if another club comes along with a bigger offer, a player will break a contract. They just say: ‘I want out’. It’s all about greed, it’s not about the game.

“I came through when a handshake was your word, it was your honour.

“The players today have never had it better in terms of facilities, sports science, support, rehabilitation. They want for nothing, all the clothing, it’s all given to them. Maybe the players want to run the entire NRL, they want to control everything.

“Players used to play five years to buy a house. Today, they buy two houses a year.

“We should never forget those people that played the game in the ‘50s and ‘60s, those that dug the well that these guys are drinking from.

“Blokes like John Raper and Reg Gasnier – they’d be rolling in their grave. In the main, the players these days are only worried about themselves.”

Cleal’s comments come amid what is tantamount to industrial action by players as they boycott NRL-sanctioned media events over the prolonged collective bargaining agreement negotiations.

The former Kangaroos star – famously nicknamed Crusher – said loyalty was officially dead in rugby league, and bush footy was headed the same way without significant investment, support and planning.
A lot of those blokes from the past worked two jobs and then played. It was all about fun, camaraderie and loyalty,” Cleal said.

“The golden thread that runs through NSW and Queensland country is rugby league and it’s dying on the vine. It’s really, really struggling.

“If the modern-day players keep on wanting more and more money, do they take it from the development of bush footy?

“How do we develop the next generation of players if there aren’t any resources to tip in because the current players are taking it all. That’s a real worry.

“The future of the game is most important. To see it dying at development and country level, that’s crazy. It’s a bit like the tail wagging the dog."

https://twitter.com/BulldogRitchie

Don’t have a lot of knowledge of the inner workings but suspect this may have something to do with it I.e. The NRL apparently pushing ahead with a new salary cap without the prior agreement of the players association. Apologies if this has already being pointed out.

Sorry Noel, but the clubs do the same thing when it suits them also. There is no honour at all, either way.

“Today, if another club comes along with a bigger offer, a player will break a contract. They just say: ‘I want out’. It’s all about greed, it’s not about the game.

“I came through when a handshake was your word, it was your honour.

Yes its certainly a generation centred on self entitlement.
The majority of players will earn an average salary for a short period of time having sacrificed potential education / other skill opportunities

Not sure if they are asking for pathways or straight $ but the game has an obligation to help take care of the people who play and are then tossed aside fairly quickly.

This is an interesting issue. The players actually sign a contract with the club and the contract must be registered with the NRL to ensure compliance with the cap (ha ha). The players exercise a choice to play NRL and that choice involves the sacrifice of potential education (if they have the grey matter to get it done) and other skills such as trades. the players are attracted to the game because of the potential stardom and financial possibilities if they are good enough and nobody including the NRL forces them to make those choices. By analogy it's a bit like getting a job with the Fire Brigade and then seeking payment for the opportunity of missing out on the chance to be a lawyer. Being a fireman is dangerous and the only recourse they have are workers compensation rights and superannuation.

Another question is whether the players have any recourse or workers compensation rights against the NRL as opposed to the clubs. I don't know the answer to that one but expect not.

It is complicated by the nature of employment and the high risk of injury that may be ongoing for the rest of their lifetime. I expect the contract with the club has a disclaimer in respect of this risk which the player will not doubt accept in the terms of the employment contract as their own other than medical treatment during the term of the contract. Should the NRL be otherwise financially responsible in these circumstances? They never have been in the past but they could establish a benevolent fund from the obscene amounts of money received in broadcasting deals from which a player can make a capped claim if permanently disabled as a result of playing footy.

The next issue is superannuation. Are the players considered PAYE employees that requires the clubs to make employer contributions to superannuation. If so is the statutory requirement in respect of quantum sufficient in view of the risk associated with their employment. Highly unlikely. Are the players signing up as self employed consultants providing services to the club and are they then themselves responsible for making the required workers compensation contributions?

There is enough money in the broadcasting deals for the NRL to establish a benevolent fund but managing and administrating it would be a difficult. My morale compass says that it should happen but it won't. Its quite perplexing.

Last edited:

NRL 2022: Noel Cleal unleashes on ‘greedy’ NRL stars amid CBA crisis​

Noel Cleal has gone nuclear on campaigning NRL stars amid the ongoing salary cap crisis, telling them to ‘go to buggery’ and claiming loyalty is dead.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

The majority of players will earn an average salary for a short period of time having sacrificed potential education / other skill opportunities

Not sure if they are asking for pathways or straight $ but the game has an obligation to help take care of the people who play and are then tossed aside fairly quickly.
I don't believe the clubs owe the players anything when their time is up. None of my ex employers gave me anything when I left. The players know what career is ahead of them in league, they know what they need to do to ensure something after football. Some do it and others don't. How long does a club have to baby these guys for. I

Minimum salary for an NRL player is now 120k. I would say that's above average for having to train 5 days a week and play a game for 80 min. A lot of society work 50+ hour weeks and get half that.

On the other point its a choice is it not? I chose my line of work and will be guided by that choice. The money I make, the path my life goes is up to me.

Sports stars too often burn through the cash and then cry poor at retirement.

The only thing I think the game should be doing (and this might be your very point?) is making it compulsory for players up to the age of 21 attend and complete some sort of further education so if they fail or if they get injured they have something to fall back on. No education pass no contract. Simple.

Think that the minimum salary should be more in the 150 - 180 k or so . Minimum paid squad guys still have to do the same level of training as the better paid members , Even playing in a back up comp , still a relatively competitive and demanding level . What would the cap increase amount to , maybe in the 2 . 3 mil range or something . Don 't think that taking a few hundred K out of that pot would be that much of an impost on higher paid recipients overall to give a bit of extra income to the lower paid players .

Don’t have a lot of knowledge of the inner workings but suspect this may have something to do with it I.e. The NRL apparently pushing ahead with a new salary cap without the prior agreement of the players association. Apologies if this has already being pointed out.

It gets back to the fact that the NRL are not giving the players association any oxygen ... Clint Newtown is struggling for relevance and power, and wants to be in the decision making chair ... V'Landy's won't give him the big boys pants to wear ....

Think that the minimum salary should be more in the 150 - 180 k or so . Minimum paid squad guys still have to do the same level of training as the better paid members , Even playing in a back up comp , still a relatively competitive and demanding level . What would the cap increase amount to , maybe in the 2 . 3 mil range or something . Don 't think that taking a few hundred K out of that pot would be that much of an impost on higher paid recipients overall to give a bit of extra income to the lower paid players .

Except that money would probably reduce the funding to junior or bush footy ...

Players do choose to chase the dream and big dollars .... same as some choose to "pay" to go to university for 4/5 years unpaid .....

Except that money would probably reduce the funding to junior or bush footy ...

Players do choose to chase the dream and big dollars .... same as some choose to "pay" to go to university for 4/5 years unpaid .....
See where you are coming from but any increase specifically out of the increased cap , obviously a little less dough for the mid - higher paid guys but thinking more on the equity line . Whether all clubs would be in favor would be a different matter but if the head body made it a standard policy , would expect clubs to have to implement it then .

It gets back to the fact that the NRL are not giving the players association any oxygen ... Clint Newtown is struggling for relevance and power, and wants to be in the decision making chair ... V'Landy's won't give him the big boys pants to wear ....
Understand. I think if Valandy wants to dominate like this he may need to consider integrating internally better ways of obtaining input from the players. I.e. Give the players less of a reason to want to join a union which the association essentially is. If was a young player or a plodder which would likely be the case :) I could understand why they would want to leverage collectively especially with a salary cap which is relatively unique in comparison to the norm… again I have little to no knowledge of the inner workings… but if my son was playing league I would want to make sure he was being looked after… as much as the game can afford.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4