Players boycott media due to nrl dispute

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

NRL players around the game are cancelling media and promotional appearances en-masse as the game’s pay dispute takes an explosive turn.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting players from both the Sharks and Dragons cancelled media opportunities at the last minute in recent days, leaving journalists, photographers and the NRL’s entire media unit in the lurch.

The "newspaper" is reporting similar activity will continue around the game in coming days with players making it clear they have no interest in promoting the 2023 NRL season, set to get underway in just six weeks.

The action was reportedly sparked by the latest round of failed negotiations between players and the NRL on Friday.

The two parties remain at loggerheads over an acceptable collective bargaining agreement, despite the NRL announcing a record salary cap for 2023 of $12.1m, up 25 per cent from the year before.

That announcement infuriated the RLPA, who argued it came without the buy-in of the clubs and the playing group.

“To announce the salary caps for players without their agreement and bypassing their association is unprecedented,” RLPA chair Deidre Anderson said.

“For a governing body to set its own salary cap disrespects the entire player representation movement and the importance of collective bargaining.

“Today’s announcement goes against negotiating in good faith and only damages the trust between players and the governing body.”

In response ARLC Chairman Peter V’Landys accused the players’ union of “scaremongering”.

In a statement to The Daily Telegraph in the wake of the media boycotts, a senior player said the action is a direct response to the NRL’s lack of respect towards its playing group.

“This action is being driven by the players,” the player told The Daily Telegraph.

“The NRL doesn’t understand how unhealthy the relationship is with both the men and women.

“This is not about pay. It’s about the way the NRL have lacked respect in negotiations.”

In response, an NRL spokesperson told the paper the game is aware of the action being taken by the players as they continue their ongoing discussions.

Maybe time for some of the club 's bosses and C E O "s to pull some of their players into line a bit . All for the players getting well renumerated and paid if the money is there and 25 % , some serious level of increase and not satisfied[ or some elements with that amount . Sure hard to please Maybe also getting a bit carried away and losing perspective with their actual place and entitlement position in the code in general .

This may be heating up ... story behind a pay wall .. but the teaser says ..

"The NRL players planing to boycott major events due to the escalation of the collective bargaining agreement battle have been warned of the consequences if they do go ahead with the boycott.
👀
"

How do you announce a collective bargaining agreement result when one side hasn't been advised or consulted.
Smacks of NRL arrogance at it's best.

So the NRL has decreed the whole cap thing for (just?) next year and it's set in stone. The players are unhappy that they weren't consulted but, it's already set in stone? What does boycotting interviews do now? Have they made achievable demands?
Really just trying to understand objectives and possibilities.
Also wondering if they've considered the battle for the hearts and minds of the public. If the fans are still largely working class then what's the appeal of 'we got a pay rise but no one asked us how much we should get before they gave it to us, so now we're not going to do interviews which are entirely for the fans'?
They really need a PR strategist to articulate their problems.

The monkeys are running the asylum.
Isnt our very own money hungry captain one of the union leaders now ?
Kurt capewell: "It's not about the wage, it's about setting up funding for past players, welfare and tertiary education."

So the NRL has decreed the whole cap thing for (just?) next year and it's set in stone. The players are unhappy that they weren't consulted but, it's already set in stone? What does boycotting interviews do now? Have they made achievable demands?
Also wondering if they've considered the battle for the hearts and minds of the public. If the fans are still largely working class then what's the appeal of 'we got a pay rise but no one asked us how much we should get before they gave it to us, so now we're not going to do interviews which are entirely for the fans'?
I believe they are fine with the pay increase it is a bunch of things around that. Support for medically retired players, proper CBA for the womens game etc etc.

This is from memory from scanning a article a few weeks back so forgive me but I don't believe that want a highercap than what has been announced

I believe they are fine with the pay increase it is a bunch of things around that. Support for medically retired players, proper CBA for the womens game etc etc.

This is from memory from scanning a article a few weeks back so forgive me but I don't believe that want a highercap than what has been announced
Pretty much my point. They haven't managed to get their objectives across. All that's getting through to the general public is a refusal to do interviews. Hence the need for top PR. And they'd have to be very good when, by definition the media are in bed with the NRL. The Murdoch media and Nine media will never be critical of the NRL, they have too much invested in it. That takes out all print media and leaves a couple of commercial broadcasters who are unlikely to want to give any air time to a rival product. The RLPA are up against it and need a master strategist to gain any ground against one of sport's greatest bulls.

I can't blame the players for wanting some support post their career. I wonder who determines what those within the NRL get paid and what benefits they receive. Their is a lot of money coming in from the broadcasting deals and all the mouths in the trough should be accountable and transparent.

I believe the real heart of the matter is the Players association wants to run the game ... Clint Newtown wants a seat at the big boys table ...

Sure that the N R L is concerned about after career welfare issues and other pertinent matters as well but also sure that there is only so much that the N R L can commit to it any one time . Especially after that 25 % increase to the cap . Be interesting for example if any of the player representatives would be prepared to divert any of the announced 25 % cap increase into a post career welfare fund . Purely personal choice and discretionary but could be helpful for many high or moderately well paid players to contribute to and enhance their own post career welfare in whatever way instead of possible extravagant lifestyles during their playing careers . Or for those who are not already giving it a priority . Maybe more of a consideration from the players association to significantly boost the pay of the lower paid squad members out of the 25 % cap increase

Maybe more of a consideration from the players association to significantly boost the pay of the lower paid squad members out of the 25 % cap increase

I believe this is a big part of the focus

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4