Player Ratings - Round 6

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
A tough loss on Saturday night in Wollongong in what was a much improved performance over our recent games there.

Brendan Elliot 5/10 - Struggled under high kicks, and had to go off for a HIA. Solid enough replacement back there, but for mine he doesn't run enough support plays or provide an attacking threat from fullback.

Jorge Taufua 7/10 - What has happened to Jorge? He's been safe under high kicks for the past 2 weeks!!! And I've seen much better aerial AFL players drop ones like the only one he let slip through his fingers on Saturday night. Saved us a few times on our line taking loose balls and kicks.

Moses Suli 6/10 - Barely sighted in the first half, a much better second half though. I'd like to see some of those charging runs of his closer to the try line rather than either side of halfway. Get him running hard at opposition centres and wingers on their line and he'll be hard to stop.

Brad Parker 8/10 - Defensively very strong and managed to cross for his first meat pie of the season. Unlucky to be called for that so-called trip.

Reuben Garrick 6/10 - He gets a 6 mostly for his work at fullback when Elliot was off which was good. Otherwise he seemed a bit overawed by the occasion of playing against his old club at his old home ground. Robbed of an opportunity to try and win the game by a referee blunder.

Kane Elgey 7/10 - Seems to be growing in confidence and growing into the 5/8 role at Manly. I like that he's taking more of the kicks.

Daly Cherry-Evans 8/10 - Strong game from the captain. Unfortunately with Tom out he lacks a good support player right now. Kicking game is getting back to its best.

Toafofoa Sipley 4/10 - Only played 18 minutes and didn't have much impact.

Api Koroisau 5/10 - He made some good dummy half runs, but his passing is still a major worry.

Martin Taupau 7/10 - Ran strong as usual and made 23 tackles without missing one. Although it seemed he missed having AFB out there, like they have this personal battle to see who can have the better game.

Joel Thompson 6/10 - Made some strong runs, but otherwise wasn't much of a threat. Copped a forearm to the nose that the refs missed.

Curtis Sironen 5/10 - Needs to do more with his runs and get involved more with his size and skills. He has a good offload and needs to use it more than once a game. Turned back the clock to his old 5/8 days when called upon to kick, and put in a good one.

Jake Trbojevic 8/10 - Very strong running from Jake, but missed his first tackle in 3 weeks. For shame Jake, for shame lol.

Manase Fainu 5/10 - Not one of his better games. Didn't run much and did throw a couple of poor passes.

Jack Gosiewski 5/10 - A mixed bag. While he ran strongly at times, at others he got monstered by the St Merge defence. Only made 10 tackles in 34 minutes, and missed two. Not good enough for a back rower, even one who spent about 15 of his 34 minutes playing centre.

Corey Waddell 9/10 - Very strong game from the rookie. 151 metres from 11 runs, 3 offloads and 21 tackles in only 48 minutes. His best game by a country mile. And how was that offload for Cherry's try? Snake like.

Morgan Boyle 5/10 - Geez this guy is huge. Only concern is his fitness really, but then Donny has only had him for about 3 weeks. Even he can't work miracles in that time on a guy who just came out of having Ferris the Fraud as his fitness "guru" when the rest have had 7 months. Give him time, a work in progress. But I liked what I saw from him.

What we lacked on Saturday night was that game breaker who can make a break and either score themselves or set up their supports, i.e. we lacked a Tom Trbojevic or Dylan Walker.

I know it won't happen, but I would like to see Des play Reuben Garrick at fullback with either Elliot or Suli on the wing. I think Garrick played well there when Elliot went off for his HIA and with a bit of work of knowing when to do so, his speed could provide the extra attacking threat from fullback that we lack with Tom out injured. But, like I said, it won't happen. Tom and Elliot were the ones who have trained at fullback while I'd say Garrick has done minimal work there as a just in case while mostly concentrating on wing and probably a bit of centre.

I'm loving the improvement with our defence this year. St Merge made no line breaks at all on Saturday night, their two tries coming from kicks. Compare that to the last time we played them when they just waltzed through our line almost at will. And you can't say it was because they didn't have Widdop this time around because both Hunt and Norman had very strong games, but our defence was up to the task this time around.

I'm not mentioning those other two thing that happened in the last 5 minutes of the game, if I did I'd be here all day. There is another thread in here for that.

Last edited:
Can't argue with any of those ratings. It was a tough game all round as both teams defences dominated - only one try from a line break which was just a good short ball right on the line. Their two from kicks and our other one from a flukey offload.

Not one of our better attacking games, probably lacked AFB's go forward to play off

Great stuff @HoldenV8.

I thought it interesting that a lot of the talk after the match was about Ben Hunt and how well he played, yet DCE got the 3 Dally M points from Brett Finch. I guess it might just again highlight the anti DCE agenda. Finch also gave 1 point to Waddell, which I thought was really well deserved.

Great stuff @HoldenV8.

I thought it interesting that a lot of the talk after the match was about Ben Hunt and how well he played, yet DCE got the 3 Dally M points from Brett Finch. I guess it might just again highlight the anti DCE agenda. Finch also gave 1 point to Waddell, which I thought was really well deserved.

There are definitely some up in Qld who would still prefer DCE misses out.

pretty fair take on things. I also agree that we need to give Suli early ball when we attack the opposition line. He doesn't seem to get any quality ball and is simply there to cart us out of trouble.

V8 .... I just don't see it ..... I have tried to see it .. but I just can't see it ....

This business about Api's poor passing has got to be the most over-rated, see what you want to see, dribble in the history of the entire world. ....

There are definitely some up in Qld who would still prefer DCE misses out.
I can't for the life of me understand the anti DCE rhetoric particularly up here in Qld. He's a great player who gives everything he has every week. Comes up great on TV. Always intelligent. I'm glad we have him. Is it just because he plays for us or is it the fact he renigged on the Titans. Most Qlders conveniently forget that GI did that to the Broncos as well. Todesco did it to the Bulldogs. No haters there. Tallas is driving this agenda against DCE I'm sure. Gone right off that bloke. Ultimate hypocrite after what he got up to in his playing days.

I can't for the life of me understand the anti DCE rhetoric particularly up here in Qld. He's a great player who gives everything he has every week. Comes up great on TV. Always intelligent. I'm glad we have him. Is it just because he plays for us or is it the fact he renigged on the Titans. Most Qlders conveniently forget that GI did that to the Broncos as well. Todesco did it to the Bulldogs. No haters there. Tallas is driving this agenda against DCE I'm sure. Gone right off that bloke. Ultimate hypocrite after what he got up to in his playing days.

Most people need a villain in the pantomime of life, so it should come as no surprise that Queenslanders choose a well spoken, intelligent, family man who gives his all every game, works incredibly hard to become a better lead by words and deed as their villain.

Err... it's reneged. You may accidentally get into trouble if your spelling of it the other way goes horribly wrong! (lol...cough)

Most people need a villain in the pantomime of life, so it should come as no surprise that Queenslanders choose a well spoken, intelligent, family man who gives his all every game, works incredibly hard to become a better lead by words and deed as their villain.

Err... it's reneged. You may accidentally get into trouble if your spelling of it the other way goes horribly wrong! (lol...cough)
I see your point there !

From the NRL site;

Increased minutes is the major trend in the opening month of the season with the VB Hard Earned award acknowledging some of the hardest-working toilers in 2019.

1 Jake Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles)

The 2018 champion, Trbojevic has picked up where he left off last year by getting through plenty of work to inspire the Sea Eagles in the opening month of the season. With a guaranteed 80 minutes on the field every week, Trbojevic's numbers have remained at their consistent best - 132.5 running metres and 43 tackles per game at a minimum

From the NRL site;

Increased minutes is the major trend in the opening month of the season with the VB Hard Earned award acknowledging some of the hardest-working toilers in 2019.

1 Jake Trbojevic (Manly Sea Eagles)

The 2018 champion, Trbojevic has picked up where he left off last year by getting through plenty of work to inspire the Sea Eagles in the opening month of the season. With a guaranteed 80 minutes on the field every week, Trbojevic's numbers have remained at their consistent best - 132.5 running metres and 43 tackles per game at a minimum
What a machine he is . Some players have the stamina to power through at a high level for 80 minutes plus extra time if needed .

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8