Penrith v Souths. [Grand final, 2021]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Now the season is over.....

We can look forward to 2022. Manly will start by getting thumped in a trial game (we always do), then finishing the season with Premiership win #9.
Only if they decide to referee the same for finals as the rest of the year. Lack of penalties and restarts, offside and holding down. Head shots let go. No entertaining football allowed at end of season.

I had a think about it and probably his kicking game was one of the main reason the kept south’s contained. South’s attack was far more potent than the panthers but they didn’t really get the opportunity to use it.
Yep, Penrith won it with defence but it was off the back of the possession that Cleary's kicking game bought them (even if he didn't have a hand in either of their 2 tries).

A lot of the Panthers had great games but not sure who else they'd have given it to. Cody Walker would have come close I think.

Souths would be absolutely gutted. Had no ball, no 50/50 calls, an intercept try against them, and no field position, but were still in it to the end. If Reynolds gets that conversion they go on and win. Rugby League is a cruel game sometimes. They’ll be hurting for a while.

True. Which just goes to show how bad Nine's team is, because the Fox team is nothing to write home about either.

The classic choice between the Giant Douche and the Sh*t Sandwich, except somehow Nine's douches are way bigger and their sandwiches are way sh*ttier…
I couldn’t believe the shiit that was coming out of Gould’s mouth. It was like he’d put his house on a South’s win. Embarrassing.

This GF hurt me as a manly fan. The whole week I wasn't able to build myself to be excited for it because I was still recovering from the prelim loss but then I got geed up for it in these last two days. But man, after the game was over, it just made me so desperate to see another Manly premiership. I can't take the fact that Dylan Edwards has a ring and Tom Trbojevic doesn't lmao, and then to see how much it meant for the Penrith community and fans.

Then the beautiful pics of Nathan and Ivan hugging and Brian proposing. I felt happy for them but I have to admit I was soooooooo jealous haha. I really hope we get the premiership back to Manly soon, I want that feeling again, it's been too long. I wanna see photos of Foz crying in happiness, Des celebrating, Trbojevic brothers in jubilation, Chez and Foz recreating the 2011 premiership photos. I love this club soooo much, I want us to be on top of the world again in my lifetime, I wanna cherish that feeling again for the rest of my life.

Perfect result really .If Panthers lost ,they would've came back even hungrier next year.
Hopefully now Lose a few players and drift back off into oblivion for another 10 years.
Souths lose Bennett and their longtime local boy Halfback and they are back to the middle of the comp.
Now just need Storm to get rid of Munster and D1ckcheese and our road is paved.

I kept thinking through that game that there is no way our side could have matched the intensity and control those teams played with for 80 minutes. We would have dropped the ball twice as much as both those sides did in total. I love our team's entertainment value but I trust Des to add steel and discipline to the flair as our side had from 2008 to 2013. Their attack seized up in the last month but Penrith defended their way to a title in a year of scoring records. They got past Parra (in the most brutal throwback game of the season, loved it), the Storm (game of the year except maybe when they met in the first rounds) and Souths without, I think, scoring more than two tries in each game. Reluctant kudos to Souths, they did better than I expected them to in the semis and their defence improved tremendously from the regular season.

Last edited:
One other little regret just quietly - how we could do with still having Api (even if you'd have to say he isn't in an Api marriage). As much as Croker did a servicable job for us this year when you look at the top three sides - Penrith, Souths and Storm - they all have running threats from dummy half to keep the markers honest and the players next off the ruck concentrated on that. Croker, I think, is the type of player Des likes - toiler, team man but we need more incisiveness in the middle to take the heat off Tom and the other backline players.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7