Post-Game Discussion Penrith V Manly [Round 14, 2024]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Game Information

Panthers
Vs
Sea Eagles
32 Bluebet Stadium
09 Jun 2024 16:05
80:00 minute

Match Stats

bringbackbeaver

Reserve Grader
The mentality of this team was best illustrated when Brooks was more interested in some push and shove with Luai as opposed to ensuring we kept them from scoring.

Made evident by ‘Seibs’ not condemning the action and instead giving a piss poor excuse for why he maybe did that.

A real coach and leader would tear shreds for such a selfish and dumb action.

Seibs is not a leader of men. He’s a leader of wannabe footy academics / leadership influencers you find on LinkedIn.

He needs to go

Get Brad Arthur in

manly al

First Grader
Didn't deserve to win in the final washup with 50 missed tackles
However, taking into account the Panther's almost faultless completion rate and field position and pretty much matching it with them try scoring wise against one of the best defensive units in the comp . Has to be some bright spots there .
As much as Waddell tried really hard , losing Haumole early was a big setback .
No doubt Cleary . Edwards and Martin considerable outs for them but could also corelate Turbo , Haumole and to a lesser extent Froggy ' absence lessoning Manly ' overall effectiveness .
Although the way Laurie and young Hoppa performed , probably no much difference if Edwards and even a better version of Turbo were playing
Fair criticism of Manly's right edge defence but Manly did quite well exploiting the Panther; s edge defence as well .
Tend to think that the problem is more in the inner defence D C E area and lack of communication on that side in general . In any case , Saab did not have much option in coming in on a couple of occasions .
Maybe or hopefully he can get a bit better shutting down a play but that is another matter .
Really of course and again goes without saying , just have to get that better organized and positional defence on that current vulnerable side.
But again , still good they clearly showed that they can score some quality tries against one of the better ranked defensive sides in the comp .
Thought Burbo did well , Paseka strong again , maybe Bully for Sipley ,and probably have to have a good look at Simpkin.
Thought that D C E was a bit average , Brooks did O K
Just have to get that unacceptable tackle miss rate down and maximum discipline as a key focus though in the Brooks instance , tough one on Manly and for the adverse outcome

47MVEagle

Bencher
Just watched the replay & don’t see what all the drama’s about.

We scored 4 tries on Penrith’s right hand side & 1 on their left hand side.

Penrith scored 4 tries on our right hand side & 1 on our left hand side & one in the middle that should have actually been a penalty against Luai (the dog) for slamming Burbo’s head into the ground, clearly visible on multiple replays.

So we were pretty equal all up with the incumbent premiers, having beaten them the first time we played them this season.

If Garrick & Alomoti had both converted all of their kicks & Luai was penalised (instead of being rewarded for dog actions) the final score would have been 32-30 to Penrith.

Yes, I know there’s a few too many ifs in that but it wasn’t a bad effort from Manly considering.

I thought Garrick did well to put Saab into space a few times - wasn’t that what everyone was crucifying him for last time? A bloke can’t win around here.

Last edited:

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
I thought Garrick did well to put Saab into space a few times - wasn’t that what everyone was crucifying him for last time? A bloke can’t win around here.
Agree !
Garrick is Great player
Put him in the Storm coaching system and he will turn into a Gasnier

JenEagle

Bencher
I've said this in a few threads. There is no way that Luai incident with brooks should have resulted in a try - luai should have been penalised. If that was the other way around at the other end of the ground Brooks would have been penalised. There is no way they would award a try like to Manly.

Also there was another try Penrith scored with a knock on and a forward pass. Same thing. Should have been pulled up straight away. Some of the Manly players actually almost stopped the pass was so blatant from Luai and then Yeo knocked the ball clean on.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
I've said this in a few threads. There is no way that Luai incident with brooks should have resulted in a try - luai should have been penalised. If that was the other way around at the other end of the ground Brooks would have been penalised. There is no way they would award a try like to Manly.

It was a home town decision, but if Brooks attempted to tackle the guy with the ball instead of indulging in Luai's antics, then I think they would have called it no try.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I can’t believe Sutton called back DCE’s kick for touch off a penalty TWICE. That happens habitually, every bl00dy penalty in our game, and is NEVER called. Power tripping douche bag.
Couldn’t believe that shiit. That was Sutton at his egotistical best/worst.

effnic

Reserve Grader
Quite remarkable really. Manly missed over 50 tackles, had almost 10 minutes less ball, made far less metres, yet went down 5 tries to 4. Not as bad as it may seem. Yes Manly has big problems with their defense issues, which has been pointed out ad infinitum in the past yet the coaching staff seem unable to correct it, and still they stay within a try of the premiers. Much better than last year. Work to be done certainly but not as bad as it seems.
Dont get it twisted. We were never in it. Penrith only got out of first gear when they needed to and coasted home. Its way way worse than you think.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It was a home town decision, but if Brooks attempted to tackle the guy with the ball instead of indulging in Luai's antics, then I think they would have called it no try.
That was baiting the opposition 101 from Luai to the point Brooks forgets about being in the defensive line and forgets the opposition are in your red zone again. And Henry scores exactly where Brooks should’ve been.
Maybe if that was a rookie, you could cut him some slack, but not from one of the most experienced players in your side. That was unforgivable imo. 6 points right there.

Rorz

Seibolds excuses and reaction in the after match press conference typifies why we are playing the way we are.It was nonplussed,confusing and resigned.
We need a coach who is honest and forthright instead of Penrith winning 3 premierships.Its about being brutally truthful about how we played.
Bellamy,Stuart etc would not have tolerated that effort,but with Seibold it’s like oh well.
Talua is definitely a centre,not a winger,put Garrick back on the wing.I would leave Hopoate at fullback ,even when Turbo returns,he hasn’t put a foot wrong.
I would have Turbo when he returns partnering Talua in the centres.
We have unquestionably got our work cut out against the Dragons if our defence doesn’t improve.
You owe it to the fans!!!

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Dont get it twisted. We were never in it. Penrith only got out of first gear when they needed to and coasted home. Its way way worse than you think.

Conjecture. Not questioning the fact that Penrith deserved to win and that they performed brilliantly. Their performance was not lower gear by any stretch. They exceeded Manly's stats across the park and especially in defense where they missed only 25 tackles to Manly's 59 and only 5 ineffective tackles to Manly's 18. And yet they only defeated Manly by a try and a few more goals. When offered a penalty shot soon after half time, they took it. A team that thought they had it easily won would attack the line. Manly came back at them in the second half twice. Penrith knew they were in a contest and they played the professional style they have become noted for. They were in third gear for the entire game, and knew they had a contest. They were just better, more professional and structured, on the day.

Lloyd

Seibolds excuses and reaction in the after match press conference typifies why we are playing the way we are.It was nonplussed,confusing and resigned.
We need a coach who is honest and forthright instead of Penrith winning 3 premierships.Its about being brutally truthful about how we played.
Bellamy,Stuart etc would not have tolerated that effort,but with Seibold it’s like oh well.
Talua is definitely a centre,not a winger,put Garrick back on the wing.I would leave Hopoate at fullback ,even when Turbo returns,he hasn’t put a foot wrong.
I would have Turbo when he returns partnering Talua in the centres.
We have unquestionably got our work cut out against the Dragons if our defence doesn’t improve.
You owe it to the fans!!!
Tend to agree. The problem as I see it is not enough mobility in the forwards. I think we need to get rid of two of the big front rowers and go to market to try and lure 2 good second rowers. The Jake type who can tackle well and can actually move laterally and not tire after 15 minutes. I’m sure that would help the defence with the inside shuffling across. Unfortunately I think our side isn’t designed for the fast paced game nrl has now become.

I think we have an attack that can troubles the very best defences, however our middle can't match it against the very best teams.
The penrith forwards and back 3 made incredible yardage through our middle and dominated field position. We couldn't stop their roll-on or match their metres when we had the ball. Their line speed in defence is unbelievable, ours is sluggish. Getting dominated in the middle seems to be a recurring problem and one that 2025 recruitment may want to address.

double hoops

First Grader
The mentality of this team was best illustrated when Brooks was more interested in some push and shove with Luai as opposed to ensuring we kept them from scoring.

Made evident by ‘Seibs’ not condemning the action and instead giving a piss poor excuse for why he maybe did that.

A real coach and leader would tear shreds for such a selfish and dumb action.

Seibs is not a leader of men. He’s a leader of wannabe footy academics / leadership influencers you find on LinkedIn.

He needs to go

Get Brad Arthur in
Yeah, defending a mate is one thing. Getting further distracted and not in the defensive line when a try is scored another.

I think our entire team are trying to claim the ref should have penalized Luai for his push on Brooks. And perhaps that was Brooks thinking to continue to react as well.

We certainly got sucked in.

Sea Eagle 4 Life

Reserve Grader
You cant tell me Turuva was not in touch a few tackles prior to the Panthers first try:

1718096891357.png

Eagle 1

First Grader

Also there was another try Penrith scored with a knock on and a forward pass. Same thing. Should have been pulled up straight away. Some of the Manly players actually almost stopped the pass was so blatant from Luai and then Yeo knocked the ball clean on.
Agree, and people want to blame Brooks, Luai was clutching the collar area of Brooks's jersey, with Brooks unable to break free and defend the ensuing try.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16