Penalty Captions Shown on TV

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Blucky

Reserve Grader
So I am re-watching the Manly / Titans game, and have noticed the following:

First Titans set, DCE tackles and then holds down with his head. The ref gives a penalty (which you would expect for using his head, and not a set restart). You can very clearly hear the ref state something about "Head to Head" and indicate a high tackle as part of the penalty. Yet the TV commentators (Gould I guess) said it was for "Holding down to long", and then straight away the TV (Fox) comes up with the caption "Penalty - Holding Down". Which is wrong.

A few minutes later, Far-Sewer-Malawi puts a shoulder charge on Parker and there is another penalty. We know it is for a shoulder charge because FSM gets two weeks for it. But Gould states that it is for "Inside the 10", which would be a set restart. And seconds later the TV caption states "Penalty - Inside 10 Metres". Which is wrong again.

My question is this. We know Gould is a dufus and has no clue about the game at all. But does the TV coverage just follow the commentary and post the captions, or does it have someone who should know better or maybe someone who can listen to the Mic'd up referee ? Is this why we never get to know what the set restarts are for ?

What happens on 9's coverage ? Do they have the same captions or do they state something else ?

I am amazed at how much talking the refs do in a match.
Basically they are there to count to six, and adjudicate on the rules. But they are now commenting on every aspect, tipping players off if they are offside etc.
Then they have to remember every players first name, and address them as such.
We are expecting too much from our refs.
Why do they need to tip off players?
Why do they need to know all their first names when they should be simply referred to by number?
If we simplified the role of the ref then I'm sure we'd get less officiating errors.

First Titans set, DCE tackles and then holds down with his head. The ref gives a penalty (which you would expect for using his head, and not a set restart). You can very clearly hear the ref state something about "Head to Head" and indicate a high tackle as part of the penalty. Yet the TV commentators (Gould I guess) said it was for "Holding down to long", and then straight away the TV (Fox) comes up with the caption "Penalty - Holding Down". Which is wrong.

A few minutes later, Far-Sewer-Malawi puts a shoulder charge on Parker and there is another penalty. We know it is for a shoulder charge because FSM gets two weeks for it. But Gould states that it is for "Inside the 10", which would be a set restart. And seconds later the TV caption states "Penalty - Inside 10 Metres". Which is wrong again.

My question is this. We know Gould is a dufus and has no clue about the game at all. But does the TV coverage just follow the commentary and post the captions, or does it have someone who should know better or maybe someone who can listen to the Mic'd up referee ? Is this why we never get to know what the set restarts are for ?

What happens on 9's coverage ? Do they have the same captions or do they state something else ?
Wasn't that a fox game? Not that I think he couldn't do that but he wasn't calling that game.

Gould has no clue about the game???? I think he’s one of the better ones & YES he does know about the game! More than most.....

I'm pretty sure you meant Blocker (who knows SFA) not Gould, but I can understand how both can be confused - they both resemble Sloth from Goonies :rofl:

the goonies chuck GIF

If we are pointing out how many things blocker gets wrong in a call then it will be a mighty long thread. But in saying that , i like blocker, not overly accurate but seems pretty honest. Rarely has a bad word to say about anyone and loves a bit of niggle

Its why we as spectators have to make our own decisions on what we see and not go of the " experts"

He has a soft spot for manly , especially now curtis is playing for us. I am surprised he didnt give curtis man of the match against the titans.

Wasn't it Blocker?

Other than Brandy, the 'colour commentators are generally terrible and don't provide any meaningful insight whatsoever. Blocker simply doesn't watch the game.
Blocker doesn't commentate on the game, only the front row forwards.

If they are young and big, he always questions if the players know "how good they could be".

In relation to what’s put up this would be the broadcaster , so probably comes from what the commentators say ( unless they are linked in to the Refs communications , which is how it should be ).

Wasn't it Blocker?

Other than Brandy, the 'colour commentators are generally terrible and don't provide any meaningful insight whatsoever. Blocker simply doesn't watch the game.
Sorry yes, Blocker not Gould. Was still having my first coffee when I started typing. I think in future I am going to watch games with the sound off and ignore the captions. I was getting incensed by some of the refereeing decisions until I watched it again and discounted the commentary, and they then made more sense.

If they are young and big, he always questions if the players know "how good they could be".
Mate, if I hear him say " When he realises how big he is and gets some mongrel into his game’ whilst commentating on Paseka, it’ll be another trip down to Harvey Norman for another new remote. Another peev, which could be made into a drinking game is when he starts a lot of his sentences with a rumbly , " I’ll tell ya wat....?"
If you followed through with the whole game, there will be a good chance you will succumb to alcohol poisoning.

Far-Sewer-Malawi, thanks for that as I now know how to pronounce it without "doing an Erin".

He also calls Saab "Paseka" half the time. "This is the guy I love...Paseka!"...as Saab makes a run and goes back to his wing.

Wasn't it Blocker?

Blocker has a 1 page script that he is only allowed to read from during the game, and sort of goes like this,
Talking about Paseka - once the kid realises how big he is, then he will etc etc
The refs shouldn't call the players by their name, it should be 12 get back onside, 9 play the ball etc etc

I am amazed at how much talking the refs do in a match.
Basically they are there to count to six, and adjudicate on the rules. But they are now commenting on every aspect, tipping players off if they are offside etc.
Then they have to remember every players first name, and address them as such.
We are expecting too much from our refs.
Why do they need to tip off players?
Why do they need to know all their first names when they should be simply referred to by number?
If we simplified the role of the ref then I'm sure we'd get less officiating errors.
I've wondered that as well

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8