Paul Kent on the NRL's hypocrisy [Videos]

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Rothfield is a tool and reportedly a close friend of Greenturd and always takes the side of the NRL. Blind freedy can see that the whole Hayne/Parra business is a rort but like everything else will be swept under the carpet !!

I cannot believe the audacity and arrogance of the NRL to think they can get away with this stunt without being scrutinised. IMO Greenburg and Grant should be shown the door immediately. They must realise that as the governing body of the game they owe a fiduciary duty to the organisation, the clubs and the fans to act in the best interests of all concerned and ensure that all clubs are treated equally, fairly and consistently. The rhetoric frequently quoted as "dealing with issues as they arise on a case to case basis" simply means we do what we like. The inconsistency in the treatment of different clubs we have seen in recent years is scandalous. The joke referred to as the "Salary Cap" is totally undermined by TPA's. I want to know how much of Hayne's reported 1.2 million dollar contract at the Gold Coast is made of TPA's and whether they will follow him to Parramatta. As I understand it the TPA is a deal between the player and a third party and should follow the player for the duration of the Third Party Agreement. So whilst Parramatta want to attribute 500K of their salary cap to Hayne how much is he still receiving from the Third Party Agreement which is still in existence for 2018? Why on earth would the NRL be prepared to let this happen. One theory might be a conflict of interest as owners of the Titans who are trying to sell the franchise.

We know the answer to that because they showed their true colours when Manly tried to register Gift's contract for 350K. Knocked back because he was a former SOO and international. Mind you, it was about 5 years since he'd last represented.

Hayne on the other hand goes from 1.2 million and takes a 700K bath to go back to the Worms. How the NRL can look anyone in the face without bursting into fits of laughter and claim that all is above board beggars belief.

I never thought I'd ever start to lose interest in rugby league. I drive around proudly with my Manly plates and wear my jerseys everywhere. But lately, I can't cop being taken for a mug. I might not be good looking but I'm definitely not stupid.

Yep I'm slowly losing interest in game. Games are determined by refs, Greenturd just makes it up as he goes. Governments that knock down perfect stadiums but won't spend a fraction of the amount to rebuild suburban grounds. No sense at all.

lol thankyou

While Roy Masters no friend of Manly he is the only decent journalist rugby league has.
Rotting of salary cap and favouritism from the NRL to certain clubs because they rate well on TV is out of control. Unfortunately there appears to be no checks and balances.If Rugby League had half decent journalists they would be having a field day uncovering what is going on.
Todd Greenberg is a cancer to ugly league and needs to be removed before he kills it.

Judgment day nears for player agents involved in Parramatta Eels salary cap saga

Advertisement
Dec 3, 2017

RLPA vows not to go soft on agents tied up in Parramatta cap breaches
Nevertheless, the AAC will soon be supplied with the brief of evidence, putting pressure on the two Rugby League Players Association (RLPA) committee members, as well as the two player managers who sit on the body.

Some committee members feel the process has been torturous, waiting for the ARLC to indemnify the disciplinary body but finally draft letters have been exchanged, with one source saying: "The indemnity won't be an impediment to getting on with the process."

It is widely believed the delay in prosecuting powerful agents over the Parramatta breaches has been caused through implied threats by them to out NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg over some perceived breach he committed while boss at Canterbury.

LEAGUE HQ NEWSLETTER
Get the latest news and updates emailed straight to your inbox.

By submitting your email you are agreeing to Fairfax Media'sterms and conditions and privacy policy.

However, a member of the NRL investigation team told the Herald he has been given unfettered powers to prosecute, with the only restriction being to produce a compelling case. Furthermore, ARLC chair John Grant has taken a direct interest in the investigation, liaising with COO, Nick Weeks.

Anger against player managers has intensified in recent months with the group accused of playing significant roles in the sacking of coaches. While former Souths coach Michael Maguire was sacked by football manager Shane Richardson, a very experienced official with every right to make the call, Maguire may also have fallen foul of a powerful player manager.

There is increasing concern at player managers trafficking their players to a club where the coach is also a client. Prominent agent Isaac Moses has three clients – Brisbane's Adam Blair, Manly's Blake Green and Cronulla's Gerard Beale – all of whom have signed with the Warriors, where the coach, Stephen Kearney, is also on Moses's books. Moses did not respond to a request for a comment. Green's uncooperative behaviour at Manly, before his release, surprised the club where he was very popular.

Jason Taylor was also sacked as Wests Tigers coach early in 2017 with three high-profile Moses clients – prop Aaron Woods, half Mitchell Moses and fullback James Tedesco – subsequently moving to other clubs.

More players are leaving small agencies to join the powerful ones, suggesting that the old practices of using a senior footballer to recruit younger ones for his player manager are continuing.

One former NRL chief executive said of a still prominent agent: "He represented two players whose contracts came up at the same time. One was a journeyman and the other an international. He said of the journeyman: 'Pay him what you can but you've got to give big dollars to the international.' He then waived all commission for the international on the condition he recruit young players to his stable."

One grand final club has a third of its players represented by one agent, raising the question of how much duty of care he can exercise and how does he decide which of say, two young client halves, he shops to a club needing a No.7.

Clubs protest at the laziness of agents in securing sponsorships, or endorsements for their players, yet they have only themselves to blame, while also breaking the rules. Third-party agreements (TPAs) must be at arm's length from a club, yet it is widely know most are secured by the club, which then informs the agent.

The agent collects 20 per cent of TPAs, as well as the 6 per cent of the player's contract with the club.

Agents also gain commissions from tipping a client into an investment. The Herald exposed the case of still prominent agent, George Mimis, who, in 2005, was offered a $150,000 discount on a $770,000 home unit in Sydney, provided 10 of his clients, mainly St George players, each purchased a unit. The players were unaware of the incentive and Mimis subsequently withdrew from the purchase.

Free agency, the absence of a draft and a transfer window, unenforced rules around TPAs and secrecy over contracts all enhance the power of agents.

There is a myth AFL player managers only charge half the commission of their NRL equivalent because their fees are regulated by the AFLPA.

In the AFL, the market sets the rate, with some charging as high as 6 per cent, although some big AFL agencies do not charge players drafted in their first couple of seasons. However, AFL management contracts are not as exclusive, or regulated as the NRL. An NRL player cannot exit his contract with his manager until it has expired, while an AFL player can move on and pay out the commission owed on the remainder of the term.

When a club calls a player to an unexpected disciplinary meeting, it counts down the seconds until the player's manager calls the club demanding details. Yet when supplied with the information and invited to the meeting, he declines.

As one club official said: "They can tell you what position he should play, how many more tries he should be scoring and how much money we should be paying him but when the **** hits the fan, they've got puny excuses for not being available."

Player Managers aka filthy grubs will never be suspended nor deregistered as an agent for 1 simple reason...
They will expose all dodgey dealings and the nrl will crumble.

I don't like managers much but since when has the NRL had powers to 'prosecute'?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
9 7 2 72 16
8 7 1 56 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10