Paul Kent is right, for once

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Doesn't Canterbury win the NSW Cup regularly, yet their first grade side wins the wooden spoon? The original argument is flawed.

The Who said:
Doesn't Canterbury win the NSW Cup regularly, yet their first grade side wins the wooden spoon? The original argument is flawed.

Their problem is that they are more prepared to buy already made superstars from other clubs than look at their own juniors. Coupled with the fact that the Bulldogs have money, they can essentially keep their stars on the books with pretty good money in the NSW Cup until another club buys them for more money.

I am hoping the Warriors are able to retain most of their juniors that come through. If they do, I can see them winning a title in the next couple of years.

Wigan, Leeds both have strong juniors and in many cases prop up the other english teams as well as the union teams.
Both will figure strongly in all comps.

Jono said:
The Who said:

Their problem is that they are more prepared to buy already made superstars from other clubs than look at their own juniors. Coupled with the fact that the Bulldogs have money, they can essentially keep their stars on the books with pretty good money in the NSW Cup until another club buys them for more money.

I am hoping the Warriors are able to retain most of their juniors that come through. If they do, I can see them winning a title in the next couple of years.

It wont be title Jono. I think it'll be titles

The Warriors are doing what they should have done when they entered the comp. They are backing their juniors. If you show the youth you've got coming through that if you work hard you will get an opportunity they'll stay for less money. Not a heap less, but they won't jump at the first offer. Clubs like Penrith, Parra, etc haven't a clue about to develop their juniors. You'd think the penny would drop eventually on why do all their players kick on at other clubs. They sook about them getting pinched but the reality is, most see their clubs recruitment and think that their own club doesn't rate them so they leave for the opportunity.

Junior development is one thing I think the NRL needs to look at. Some clubs have just way too big a junior base to look after. We don't have a huge junior base to work with but guys that come through our system end up having long careers, why? Because we don't have a lot we know we must have to look after them. Some clubs don't worry about it, they give a guy a chance and dump for the next talented kid waiting in line.

Not sure what the answer is, perhaps take it off the clubs and rearrange the Sydney into 25 different zones. Then you'd probably need a draft to get the kids into your NRL club, but I'm opposed to that so scrap that idea. Maybe the answer is to grow the NSW Cup, have more teams and make those clubs more professional and let them look after the junior competitions and then align those clubs to NRL clubs more officially than what they do now. Say 2 to 3 clubs per NRL side. You'd more than double the amount of kids exposed to the junior rep scene. Although the cash injection to do this probably isn't available.

Its been often said that there isn't the talent for NRL expansion. I disagree, there is truckloads of talent out there, but way too many are falling through the cracks for whatever reason. If the game can fix that pathway up then the NRL will go from strength to strength.

As I said, not sure what the answer is, but IMO its a potential gold mine for the game if they get it right.

The Who said:

Other clubs would love to have our financial position, play at our ground, employ our no fuss ownership structure, and run dead last in both lower grades.

No probs at Manly. It all augers well for the future.

CLIT COMMANDER said:
The Who said:

Other clubs would love to have our financial position, play at our ground, employ our no fuss ownership structure, and run dead last in both lower grades.

Its worth noting that our sg ball (u18) side are undefeated on top of the ladder and our Harold Matt's side is up near the top as well.
Nsw cup is 2-1 after three rounds as well

Cambo said:
CLIT COMMANDER said:
The Who said:

Its worth noting that our sg ball (u18) side are undefeated on top of the ladder and our Harold Matt's side is up near the top as well.
Nsw cup is 2-1 after three rounds as well

Harold Matts are 6th I think

Our 20s struggle cause look at the gun players they lost at one time! The nsw cup side have struggled but while our depth might lack team wise there are definately talented individuals ready to step up to cover positions. IMO and they can only go up from there so no need to panic

Haz88 said:
Our 20s struggle cause look at the gun players they lost at one time! The nsw cup side have struggled but while our depth might lack team wise there are definately talented individuals ready to step up to cover positions. IMO and they can only go up from there so no need to panic

That was 2 - 3 years ago.
While a few of you laughing at the dogs look at it this way : they win the NSW Cup, win one of the juniors and come runners up in the other so will eventually do a Warriors and feature in every GF on grand final day that's the sad reality of it all.
I said months ago when they took Dessie and Crusher go through there junior team that won the national title and gut the team to make our u20s stronger then the 2009 team

• 👍
Reactions: Dan
The problem with having all the upcoming stars is you cant afford them all. The beauty of having few is you have spare change for everyone elses.

This is why the salary cap is so essential to the game. Smarts outweight the change in your pocket.

One area where I agree with the original post is that our finances are a real worry given we depend totally on the finances of the owners.The leagues club improvements and financing arrangements associated with it have been a total fiasco and have resulted in the leagues club being in a very precarious position and as such dont hold your breath waiting for major contributions from that source.The lack of real development of brookvale makes it incredibly difficult for the current owners as well.One positive is that there has been an approach from another wealthy local source buy into the club which has been rejected by the Penns so that is nice to hear.Our brand is a valued commodity.

On the lower grades success you have to look past the obvious.As many poster have suggested strong lower grades help but are no guarantees to success.We ran last in reggies in the mid 90s while carrying all before us in the firsts(as we are doing now).There is something intangible about the Manly culture that other clubs simply struggle to understand.Arkos legacy remains in that we build from within and trust our own to do the job.Fulton,Hasler,Toovey-all hard men who bled maroon and white and instill that something that gets the job done every decade.We have our times of chaos where all looks lost to an outsider but this just seems to galvanise the club at a football level.Otherclubs like souths,cronulla, etc just can't seem to ever get out of the rut while Manly thrives on adversity even when our financial viability is not great.If you look at our finances and playing venue we should get the spoon but we dont as it not part of our DNA.As league gets more professional this intangible force at the club will be much more difficult to maintain but unlike what many have heard,the old stagers at Manly have real confidence in Tooves continuing the tradition and I agree. The first step is securing Evans and Foran.Any losses after that are ineveitable and fixable.They will take us forwards for another decade.

Manly has had success in the lower grades before.
1946 comes to mind.
Couple of other teams.
1987 was a big year for the club won reserves and 1sts also won the club championship( the combination of points from both grades(more should be made of a club winning a club championship))

CLIT COMMANDER said:
In saying Manly will do it tough over the coming years.

Last in NYC, last in NSW cup. We've gone from having a gun NYC team, and a gun reggies team who won the Q Cup to having not a lot going for us in the lower grades.

I think a lot of the reason Des left was that the Dogs could fund a better program than Manly can and provide a pipeline for the future.

If you want to know who the dominant team will be over the coming years, it' s the Warriors. Great program; everyone kid in New Zealand wants to play for their Under 20s.

Ha...would you care to rethink these comments???

As an aside are you not better to develop players (in the 20's) to fill key positions rather than trying to develop a whole team?

i.e. we had a need to develop 5/8 & half back so the club developed DCE and Foran. Now we would be well served developing some outside backs and front rowers

Regardless of the results these are the guys who we should develop..to fill the holes in first grade rather than a "winning" team

Have to agree with you there Isz. At the end of the day you don't get much of a return from winning the Toyota Cup GF (or NSW Cup for that matter). Raiders had a gun Toyota Cup team recently and look where it has got their first grade side. The competition's not irrelevant but totally agree with your point Isz, it more of use to develop individual players/ combinations, as opposed to winning teams.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
Who won 20s in 2009
Who won NSW cup in 2010
Tell me without looking it up

Not positive but Raiders and Bulldogs were in the mix at some stage...

Lester 12 said:
bob dylan said:
Why doesn't one of these highly informed journalist ring David Perry and get some facts instead of trotting some garbage a scumbag player manager feeds them??

The reason is simple, there is no story in Manly set to retain stars.

What the same Perry who has been spruiking deals with Foran and Cherry for months yet nada. I this 1 I'll back the grubby journos as in Des last year were there's smoke there's fire. 1 thing that has been confirmed DCE said thanks but no thanks to the offer over 4 years. Perry has no form to back him up we have gone from Lowe an Auckland cab driver to Perry who has done what so far? Sell home games to whoever and not much else

lol @ troll

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4