Parker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Yes, Parker scored the first try in that game from @ 10 metres out (maybe off a Schuster pass?)

IMO, the centre pairs I've listed offer more creativity in attack than our current duo.

I would like to see Garrick given his opportunity in the centres. He is talented, is an effort player & his game has been improving each season (except for maybe a dip in 2020).
Certainly we're yet to see the best of Koula and his creativity at the moment comes from his speed and Parks is not Jamie Lyon but I can't say Garrick would be anymore creative coz I just haven't seen enough of him in that role. He has done some really good things other than just finish off a back line move (think of that same Parra game when ran and ran, kicked ahead and almost scored) but still an unknown in the centres at this level.

IMO, the centre pairs I've listed offer more creativity in attack than our current duo.
Undoubtedly true, but ... remind me how many games have been busted open by brilliant centres over the last few years. Crichton takes some key intercepts, and Staggs made a great run a few years ago, Farnworth is great on his feet but.. with modern rules and defence, centres are icing on the cake really, it's usually pretty much everyone else in the side that determines who wins and loses.
How high do centres rate in the Dally Ms for example?

Parker keeps his spot till he becomes a liability, If teams start going around him , outpacing him , Making line breaks that turn out to be nothing . Then and then it will be time to make a switch but that doesn’t appear to be the case at the moment. So I think he will keep his spot , If Seibold wants more then it might happen with a few of the young players pushing for a spot

I hope Parker makes 200+ games and retires comfortably in the hammock district.
Lol, I hope he makes it to 120 and then whats-his-name that young kid who did the good move in our trial takes his spot and ends up a premiership winner and Test star lol

And I hope he fares better than Alec Tennant, a fierce tackling centre according to Frank Hyde
Wikipedia:
A Harbord United and Narraweena junior, Tennant made his debut for Manly in 1964. In 1966, Tennant was selected to play for New South Wales and in 1967 was selected to play for the New South Wales City team. In 1968, Tennant was a member of the Manly side which reached the grand final against South Sydney. Manly narrowly lost the match 13–9. In 1970, Tennant played in his second grand final against South Sydney once again. Souths won the match convincingly 23–12. Tennant left Manly at the end of 1970 and in 1972 joined Parramatta. Tennant featured in 4 games for Parramatta in his only season at the club as they finished last on the table. Tennant retired at the end of 1972

Who could blame him, lol!

This is brilliant. Take every opportunity to celebrate a milestone, it's something Storm has done for a while and Manly less so. It's a great milestone for Parker so let's play it up and it's extra motivation to deliver a win on Thursday. I rememeber that tackle on Vatuvai and the one on Sivo. Go Brad, go Manly!

That is true to an extent, but some of the top sides have outstanding centre combinations

Panthers - Crichton & Tago
Cowboys - Hiku & Holmes
Sharks - Talakai & Ramien
Storm - Olam & Reimis Smith

I think a more realistic scenario is when Brad makes a line break 40-50 metres out from the opposition try line but doesn't have the pace to finish the job. Harper is somewhat similar in this regard. Despite all Brad's excellent attributes, he cannot be considered an attacking threat. However, he is very hard to stop close to the line. For me, his most memorable try was when he scooped the ball up at full pace after Garrick's kick in the Rd One game v. Eels in 2021.

I agree, but I would still like to have more pace in our back line. If a mobile hard working lock with some ball handling skills was needed for the team, I think Parker could be outstanding in that position. He is very similar in weight & height (2 cm taller) than the ranga who played this position a few years ago, i.e. Tom Symonds.
There are a few centres who who struggle from 50m out. From your list Hiku and Talakai for example aren't known for their speed. I suppose it's a case of making the most of what you've got and playing to your strengths. I can't think of 1 player who couldn't improve on at least 1 part of their game

When you consider all aspects of playing centre, not just the ability to make a highlight reel, I have Parker ranked middle of the 8 you named.
Add to that value for money he is top 3 with Tago and Olam.
Yep, it's what they do with and without the ball.
How often does he run that "crash line" knowing most of the time he won't get the ball when Turbo sweeps around the left?
But he runs it anyway, again and again...
for Turbo, for Garrick, now for Tuilagi...for his team.
The stats don't show this, how many tries has Garrick or Turbo scored down his side?

He's defensively very good, there's not much point in scoring a couple of flashy tries if you let more in.
Sure, his strike rate isn't up there with the best ( it's better than Talaki's) but it'd be great to see him score this week to chalk up 100 points in his 100th game.

Undoubtedly true, but ... remind me how many games have been busted open by brilliant centres over the last few years.

I think Manu's brilliance has won many games for the Roosters and Olam regularly busted sides open prior to 2022. Also, Tago scored some great long distance tries last year as did Burton for the Panthers in 2021. Holmes is a classy player & can be an absolute matchwinner at times.

There are a few centres who who struggle from 50m out. From your list Hiku and Talakai for example aren't known for their speed.

Talakai is not fast, but is a power runner who attracts multiple defenders and creates many try scoring opportunities for his winger & others. I don't how fast Hiku is, but I remember his run from halfway last year where he beat several defenders with stepping & dummies - can't remember whether he scored the try or gave the try assist (probably against a lesser team).

Alec Tennant

One of my favourite players in the late 60's

When you consider all aspects of playing centre, not just the ability to make a highlight reel, I have Parker ranked middle of the 8 you named.

I will agree with you when Parker is a starting centre in our next premiership winning team :thumbsup:

Last edited:
That is true to an extent, but some of the top sides have outstanding centre combinations

Panthers - Crichton & Tago
Cowboys - Hiku & Holmes
Sharks - Talakai & Ramien
Storm - Olam & Reimis Smith

Honestly, and I expect huge pushback here. Parker is in the same conversation as Hiku, Ramien and Smith.

Now you can probably argue back and forth on any of them but its that, a discussion. I dont think Hiku, Ramien or Smith are out of Parkers league.

Lol, I hope he makes it to 120 and then whats-his-name that young kid who did the good move in our trial takes his spot and ends up a premiership winner and Test star lol

And I hope he fares better than Alec Tennant, a fierce tackling centre according to Frank Hyde
Wikipedia:
A Harbord United and Narraweena junior, Tennant made his debut for Manly in 1964. In 1966, Tennant was selected to play for New South Wales and in 1967 was selected to play for the New South Wales City team. In 1968, Tennant was a member of the Manly side which reached the grand final against South Sydney. Manly narrowly lost the match 13–9. In 1970, Tennant played in his second grand final against South Sydney once again. Souths won the match convincingly 23–12. Tennant left Manly at the end of 1970 and in 1972 joined Parramatta. Tennant featured in 4 games for Parramatta in his only season at the club as they finished last on the table. Tennant retired at the end of 1972

Who could blame him, lol!

Loved Tennant. A tough, no nonsense hard running centre and knew where the try line was. I recall one year when Tennant and Peter Gallagher (who was brought over the Easts) played together they had scored by half way through the season 18 tries between them, 8 by Tennant and remember there were only 22 rounds those year. Tennant averaged about a try every two games so not only a top aggressive defender but a great attacker. Much as I admire Parker's tenacity, Tennant was quite a bit better

Last edited:
Loved Tennant. A tough, no nonsense hard running centre and knew where the try line was. I recall one year when Tennant and Peter Gallagher (who was brought over the Easts) played together they had scored by half way through the season 18 tries between them, 8 by Tennant and remember there were only 22 rounds those year. Tennant averaged about a try every two games so not only a top aggressive defender but a great attacker. Much as I admire Parker's tenacity, Tennant was quite a bit better

It was a 35 degree day in early March, I had been drinking til 5.30am at my 21st ... and decided that I was fine to play in a Presidents Cup u/21 trial game against Balmain at 11 am ...

We took the field, the opposition kicked to my corner, I moved to take the catch with the grace of a gazelle and passed to a prop on the rampage. He burst through the first defenders, and with the acceleration of a jack rabbit I roared up along side him, received the pass back, and with the speed of a cheetah ran the remaining 80 meters untouched to dive between the posts for a try.

Then, I didn't get up past my knees ... and commenced to vomit litres of alcohol ... my team mates veered away from any thought of celebration, the opponents clustered 20m away looking green ... and the world stood still, just me vomiting between the sticks ....

Eventually, after what seemed an eternity, an arm went around me and lifted me to my feet and propelled me towards the side line .... about half way back to the shed ... my helper said .. "well son, at least they won't forget your name" ..

And that is how I met the great Alec "the pig" Tennant .... a good fella ..

It was a 35 degree day in early March, I had been drinking til 5.30am at my 21st ... and decided that I was fine to play in a Presidents Cup u/21 trial game against Balmain at 11 am ...

We took the field, the opposition kicked to my corner, I moved to take the catch with the grace of a gazelle and passed to a prop on the rampage. He burst through the first defenders, and with the acceleration of a jack rabbit I roared up along side him, received the pass back, and with the speed of a cheetah ran the remaining 80 meters untouched to dive between the posts for a try.

Then, I didn't get up past my knees ... and commenced to vomit litres of alcohol ... my team mates veered away from any thought of celebration, the opponents clustered 20m away looking green ... and the world stood still, just me vomiting between the sticks ....

Eventually, after what seemed an eternity, an arm went around me and lifted me to my feet and propelled me towards the side line .... about half way back to the shed ... my helper said .. "well son, at least they won't forget your name" ..

And that is how I met the great Alec "the pig" Tennant .... a good fella ..
Classic

@Woodsie Were you graded in the 60's? Perhaps I saw you play. How would you rate your speed at that time compared to the backs in our current top 30? (serious question)

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2