Parker

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
How about Dally Messenger?
@:)

When I last spoke with Herbie or Dally as he came to be known, what was it about 110 years back, he admitted that he learned most of his skills playing Rugby Union. Ah, they were halcyon days those. Heading down to the Warrigal Hotel for a quick one before the game. Moved back to Sydney and later said he wanted to play this odd variation of the game called Rugby League or something with some club called Eastern Suburbs in '08, and he a Balmain boy. Lost track of him back in about 1911-12 when he and Annie hooked up (that was his first wife, the second was also called Annie). Understand he tried a couple of work skills ended up a chippy. Ah the memories. He was one cheeky lad, clever ball skills. Bit like Cliffy.

Because Olakau’atu plays second row, not lock.

There are absolutes, you’re just choosing to ignore them.

Lock is not 2nd row in the modern game. Locks play in the middle of the field.

Pedantry ignores the fundamental issue. OK I'l broaden the spectrum. Back rower. Irrelevant what position in the back row, the point remains the same. Lock or even second row tend to play wider. If you've played either Union or League you know that. That's why the props tend to have more time out these days more than second row and lock, because they play more in the centre of the ruck and do more of the grunt work. You're throwing the baby out with the bath water in this discussion. Point is players in the forwards, almost always in the second row and lock, tend to play wider in attack and defense. Schuster, Olakau'atu? I give specifics but they are being ignored. Burbo is another perfect example. Built for centre or back row. Not every back rower can do it, but usually there is one or two who play wide and act like a mix of forward and back. That's why I see Parker, a big hunk of a lad, actually heavier than Menzies, Watmough etc, as a potential lock (or second rower whatever). He's not much smaller than Burbo. Remember Sonny Bill Willliams? Free running forwards who ran wide.

That's why I see Parker, a big hunk of a lad, actually heavier than Menzies, Watmough etc, as a potential lock (or second rower whatever). He's not much smaller than Burbo. Remember Sonny Bill Willliams? Free running forwards who ran wide.
Good Morning @Bearfax , I hope you are keeping well and warm in this freezing day .

On field Dominance is not about the size of a player but the Speed , Strength and Skill within a player

Placing Parker standards amongst players like Menzies , Watmough and Sonny is out of place

Pedantry ignores the fundamental issue. OK I'l broaden the spectrum. Back rower. Irrelevant what position in the back row, the point remains the same. Lock or even second row tend to play wider. If you've played either Union or League you know that. That's why the props tend to have more time out these days more than second row and lock, because they play more in the centre of the ruck and do more of the grunt work. You're throwing the baby out with the bath water in this discussion. Point is players in the forwards, almost always in the second row and lock, tend to play wider in attack and defense. Schuster, Olakau'atu? I give specifics but they are being ignored. Burbo is another perfect example. Built for centre or back row. Not every back rower can do it, but usually there is one or two who play wide and act like a mix of forward and back. That's why I see Parker, a big hunk of a lad, actually heavier than Menzies, Watmough etc, as a potential lock (or second rower whatever). He's not much smaller than Burbo. Remember Sonny Bill Willliams? Free running forwards who ran wide.
Wrong. 2nd rowers play wider and locks play in the middle. Like I said, that’s not an opinion, it’s the facts of what is currently occurring in the NRL in 2023. I’m not suggesting that locks have never run wider, but they’re not doing it anymore and haven’t for years. That’s a fact. Your specifics weren’t ignored either, I addressed them; Schuster and Ola play 2nd row, not lock, so they’re redundant examples.

You’re welcome to ignore that fact, it’s no skin off my nose 😎

Last edited:
Parker is fine. Has a good dig. Good character to have around the team. No frills and inexpensive. At least he is committed defensively but has been let down by the guy inside him too often recently.

With the right coaching and some line speed in the middle he is a fine player in a team with stars elsewhere.

Parker is fine. Has a good dig.
One question for you feathered friend

Out of all our fine premiership winning centres and the Benchmark of our success
How good does Parkers good dig fair ?
Because those fine premiership winning centre paring is what it took to take us to the top

Good Morning @Bearfax , I hope you are keeping well and warm in this freezing day .

On field Dominance is not about the size of a player but the Speed , Strength and Skill within a player

Placing Parker standards amongst players like Menzies , Watmough and Sonny is out of place

Not doing that Bozo. You do me an injustice here. I'm merely giving, in a general sense, the fact that second rowers and locks play wider than props and some play out near the centres on occasions. In other words I'm using examples as evidence rather than pure unsupported conjecture. I'm suggesting that depending upon the player, you can take a big mobile centre and make him a reasonably good back rower. Noel Cleal another example. I never said Parker was of those players' standard. That's a misreading of the comment. I was merely demonstrating that a player like Parker who stands over 6'4" and weighs a little over 100 kgs and who is a good defender and quite mobile, could make an effective back rower. Of course that's conjecture, but based on comparisons with some other second rowers and locks of similar sizes and mobility. Until we see Parker playing in that position, we cant begin to determine whether it would work. We did have a smaller Dylan Walker playing off the bench often in the forwards before he left and he seemed to do OK, dont you think?

I think the issue with Parks is that he is off contract at the end of this year

Any positional change would have to take some time to adapt - something that i am not sure the club would entertain. The other worry i would have is that it always seemed to me he has a very low to the ground running style which is why he seems to get hit high a fair bit (again just a failing memory here)

For mind considering our cap space and lack of overall depth I think it would be worth a 1 year contract for him (unless he can get better elsewhere) - but then again we have made some interesting recruitment choices lately so who knows

IMO Parker is struggling in defence and attack. Good tackler when he can get his hands on them but a lack of lateral movement and a lack of speed off the mark makes him a sitting duck in defence. IMO his body is not durable enough for him to move into the pack and he has had far too many head knocks already. Might be time at season's end to call it a day.

Not doing that Bozo. You do me an injustice here. I'm merely giving, in a general sense, the fact that second rowers and locks play wider than props and some play out near the centres on occasions. In other words I'm using examples as evidence rather than pure unsupported conjecture. I'm suggesting that depending upon the player, you can take a big mobile centre and make him a reasonably good back rower. Noel Cleal another example. I never said Parker was of those players' standard. That's a misreading of the comment. I was merely demonstrating that a player like Parker who stands over 6'4" and weighs a little over 100 kgs and who is a good defender and quite mobile, could make an effective back rower. Of course that's conjecture, but based on comparisons with some other second rowers and locks of similar sizes and mobility. Until we see Parker playing in that position, we cant begin to determine whether it would work. We did have a smaller Dylan Walker playing off the bench often in the forwards before he left and he seemed to do OK, dont you think?
Sorry for the Misunderstanding feathered friend
It is easy to be misunderstood by text

What I think and from what I have seen from all of our dynamic Premiership winning centres and back rowers and the Benchmark of our Legendary clubs high standards that we should strive towards for premiership wining success is that Parker does not have the dynamics to be that dynamic Premiership winning force

IMO Parker is struggling in defence and attack. Good tackler when he can get his hands on them but a lack of lateral movement and a lack of speed off the mark makes him a sitting duck in defence. IMO his body is not durable enough for him to move into the pack and he has had far too many head knocks already. Might be time at season's end to call it a day.
Parker is durable . He has played over 100 NRL game

Durable Parker is a centre that can HOLD his own

But if we are to soar to the very top once again and Live up to our Legendary clubs Great standards

We need DYNAMIC centre that is capable of owning the game and HOLDING the Premiership wining Trophy

NRL trophy will stop in at Mackay | Daily Mercury

Sorry for the Misunderstanding feathered friend
It is easy to be misunderstood by text

What I think and from what I have seen from all of our dynamic Premiership winning centres and back rowers and the Benchmark of our Legendary clubs high standards that we should strive towards for premiership wining success is that Parker does not have the dynamics to be that dynamic Premiership winning force

Points taken and how right you are about texted information. Having come from roles that involved continuous face to face involvement, I also recognise the limitations of the written word. Its important, but it lacks a dimension of communication that we only gain through the range of non verbal expressions and signals we give when speaking. The subtleties are missed and they often give meaning to what we are saying that can be quite different to what we intend and what we communicate in writing. I knew in your case, because you are a most respectful type, I wasnt getting the elements across to fully explain my position.

In respect of Parker, I agree with your comments about the cream of second rowers and centres that help to make premiership combinations. No, Parker isnt a dynamic type, a player who is likely to win you games. He's one of those first graders who work hard, do their job, try their best not to let the team down and who we come to admire on one level. But he's not a Gartner, Fulton, O'Connor, Lyons, Shearer, Hill etc of centres. Nor is he a Menzies, Watmough, Reilly, Kosef, Bradstreet, Lowe type of dynamic attacking back rower. He's middle tier, like most first graders. Does his job, works hard, holds the line. I just think he's better suited as a back rower than a centre and have felt this for several years.

Parker is fine. Has a good dig. Good character to have around the team. No frills and inexpensive. At least he is committed defensively but has been let down by the guy inside him too often recently.

With the right coaching and some line speed in the middle he is a fine player in a team with stars elsewhere.
Good backup, but his days of starting centre should have ended last year

Reports / Rumours that Parker was seen having lunch with Bellamy in Melbourne.

I won’t be disappointed if he heads elsewhere, and I guess that if he stays, I don’t get too disappointed, but he needs to be 4/5 in the pecking order at best

I don’t think I have ever seen a back for Manly with less ability and natural athleticism. However I also know that I don’t think I have seen a first grade player work as hard to get every ounce of any ability he has onto the paddock, and play a considerable amount of games, which is what I admire about him. Runs very hard lines and gives 100%

But if he plays more than 3/4 first grade games a season, we are in trouble. Can make a good tackle, but the player has to run at him, as soon as a player gets a foot of space on the outside of him, it’s game over. Always have heart in the mouth when the ball heads his way, as sometimes he can catch like an amputee

Will always be remembered fondly in my group of mates as the guy who managed to blow out his knee tapping the ball

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6