Panthers feeder club Blacktown Workers link with Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If you were a fringe first grader at Manly and you had to train and play at Blacktown, would you live on the beaches and commute or rent in Blacktown?

Bit of a worry, not an attractive sales point.

PS. (not a dig at the area, just the travel.)

I used to work in blacktown years ago, i had a conversation with Jamie a few seasons ago where i was putting sh1t on the town and he was proud of the area.

On a side note it used to be colloquially known as "The Blacks Town" before being named officially Blacktown.

I've seen footage of him saying similar, don't get me wrong. Just that it's a pretty big place, and has multiple footy clubs - it's kinda like saying the Turbo brothers should captain/coach Beacon Hill or something. If we'd struck a deal with Doonside to be our feeder club I'd get it!

All the Blacktown clubs are in Penrith's junior comp, FWIW.

If you were a fringe first grader at Manly and you had to train and play at Blacktown, would you live on the beaches and commute or rent in Blacktown?

Yeah that's a good point mate and your probably right. I travel close to 2-3 hrs a day depending on traffic from druitt to ryde and I won't lie it gives me the ****s. But in saying that unfortunately im not earning 150k a yr plus. Would probably make it easier :)

Probably doesn't make much difference TBH - unless they're actually local kids, plenty of the reserve graders wouldn't be living in the area anyway. There was a recent article about Vave and AFB commuting together from out near Parramatta during pre-season I think?

Blacktown would be more affordable than the beaches on a reserve grader's wage anyway! @:p

Probably doesn't make much difference TBH - unless they're actually local kids, plenty of the reserve graders wouldn't be living in the area anyway. There was a recent article about Vave and AFB commuting together from out near Parramatta during pre-season I think?

Blacktown would be more affordable than the beaches on a reserve grader's wage anyway! @:p

OK. You are now the official negotiator. You have sold me.

Tommy Ridiculous was on the news demanding that Manly stay away from Penrith/Parra and Wests juniors, hilarious stuff, lol

What a crap move by the club. Peninsula seagulls are dead set up in arms about this move! What about the junior footy players that aspire to play rep footy for manly, and the peninsula seagulls who have fed players into our nsw cup team? The club talks about its juniors.....we won't have any if they keep this up!

• 7 Jul 2016
  • Manly Daily
  • Andrew Prentice
Blacktown under wing of Sea Eagles

Some league figures seething after partnership with Workers
IT WAS the joint venture the Sea Eagles felt they had to make to ensure they are sustainable as a club long term.

The Sea Eagles have formed a joint venture with Blacktown Workers, starting next season.
As from next season, Manly will form a partnership in the Intrust Super Premiership with Blacktown Workers.

Final details still need to be ratified with the NSW Rugby League but Sea Eagles chief executive Joe Kelly is excited about what potentially awaits.

“We expect our application to be favourably considered,’’ he told the Manly
Daily yesterday. “It is a model which has worked well for other NRL clubs – look at Canberra with Mounties and Parramatta with Wentworthville.

“Blacktown (Workers) have stability on and off the field and facilities in place for success. “It’s also a huge growth area in Sydney, a market we are keen to tap into.”

Negotiations began in February, with the likes of Kelly, Bob Fulton, Brett Fulton and chief financial officer Neil Bare, all heavy players behind the scenes.

Manly first grade coach Trent Barrett and his assistant John Cartwright also had important roles.

News of the joint venture has not pleased everyone, with Peninsula Seagulls cocoach Scott Pethybridge quick to voice his disappointment.

“As an ex Manly player and local resident, as well as my connection with the Seagulls, I think it is disgraceful,’’ he said.

“It makes our junior rugby league irrelevant.

“I also think the (Manly) heirarchy involved need to take a good, hard look at themselves.

“No thought has gone into local players, and I think we will struggle to survive as a team (in the Sydney Shield) beyond this year.

“What is the point if the (Manly) club is going in a different direction?”

A similar feeder club partnership with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles produced halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who cut his teeth in the Queensland Cup before his NRL debut in 2011

http://tinyurl.com/j3sfvjx

Can someone explain please what makes this a good decision for Manly. Thought we had a team

Can someone explain please what makes this a good decision for Manly. Thought we had a team
You get access to their network in that area which is traditionally a rugby league stonghold. You probably split costs for the running of the team with the club. Willow won't be a coach. It's meant to mirror our feeder club in Qld which got us DCE...

From what I understand it costs $750K+ to enter a NSW Cup team. Under this arrangement, Blacktown cough up the $$$, not Manly. I also heard a caller on Talkin' Sport who was from the Peninsula Seagulls saying the club approached them about a similar arrangement, but they can't afford it. I would assume Belrose would have been offered the same deal but declined for similar reasons, but I don't know that for sure.

Birth rates out West will help supply Manly with future Polynesian giants. :)

But the fact that Bozo is deliberately ignoring the local juniors, as per the above article, is pathetic. :cool:

I have friends with boys in the Juniors and they were told last year to play in Bozo affiliated Junior League or forget about ever being graded for Manly Sea Eagles :mad:

Kids just want to play with their mates, and the existing Junior League set up was working fine.

Then Bozo's kids/grand kids in the Mona Vale Team got him interested to the point of setting up a rival organization :confused:

The Intrust Competition is being restructured from 2017, so the affiliation may remove the need for Manly to have their own reserve grade. Like the SC Sea Eagles did, back in 2008-2009 @:cool:

NRL are still to come up with a proper grassroots to NRL pathway :cool:

So our young Holden cup players who want to stay local go to north sydney then

When Manly were at the Sunshine Coast it didnt interfere with the junior structure or other third level feeder structures. I would assume that the Blacktown affiliation only applies as a first grade feeder. But Peninsula and Belrose I would assume would still be used as third level feeders as they are now and the juniors would still have Manly affiliations but with supplementary players from the Blacktown district. Or am I seeing this inaccurately. If it is that way, it the best of both worlds. Mounties dont interfere with Canberra juniors and same with Souths and Norths.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6