Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Packing out Brookie this Sunday

ManlyArmy

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2013
Messages
1,740
Reaction score
2,088
Has to happen! Bring everyone you know that is a Manly fan. Weather pending, a sunny day should get over 17,000 for sure!

With Wests v Souths at Allianz on Friday, and being a Wests home game, we may just get a bigger crowd than them.

If that happens, it will be LOL@NRL once again.

13,000 at Allianz for Chooks v Eels on Saturday, pathetic!
 

manlyfan76

Parra Trolls are the best.
Premium Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2010
Messages
15,569
Reaction score
16,806
I'm flying down for this one.
 

The Who

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
12,675
Reaction score
16,967
According to the NRL the most important issue is the quality of the ground/stadium. Wrong, as can be seen from the poor crowds at the modern stadiums this round: 15,120 at Gosford; 13,900 at AAMI Park; 13,269 at Alliance Stadium; 12,000 at CBus Super Stadium; 14,600 at Hunter Stadium

We get more at the always maligned Brookie.
 

HappilyManly

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
28,195
Reaction score
37,546
The AAMI Park is the one that is the real elephant in the room.

State of the Art Stadium, Tram access or even a 20 minute walk from CBD, one Team City, Sports mad City and they are running at 30% capacity :dodgy:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html#venues

Manly Home Games Average 12,585
Scumos Home Game Average 12,114
 

manlyforever08

Active Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2010
Messages
721
Reaction score
103
ManlyArmy said:
Has to happen! Bring everyone you know that is a Manly fan. Weather pending, a sunny day should get over 17,000 for sure!

With Wests v Souths at Allianz on Friday, and being a Wests home game, we may just get a bigger crowd than them.

If that happens, it will be LOL@NRL once again.

13,000 at Allianz for Chooks v Eels on Saturday, pathetic!

Wests/Souths is actually at ANZ this Friday night as part of their new home venues so can you imagine that crowd now.. it's gonna be terrible.

Sunday will be my first game of the year and I'm definitely looking forward to it!
 

Mals

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
Joined
Jun 21, 2011
Messages
3,515
Reaction score
2,033
I'll be there can't wait! Sunday arvo games are as rare as hen's teeth for Brookie these days so need to make everyone count! :D
 

twitchk

Active Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2011
Messages
122
Reaction score
18
With so much focus in the media lately about poor crowds, hopefully this weekend manly can show the nrl why local grounds are the better option with a packed out brookie!
 

EagleFromMay1967

Sky Punching : send them High as the Clouds
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
2,842
Reaction score
1,429
Its gonna be the Ch Nein Sunday match.
Gus Gould will get to trot out "The fans love their Sunday afternoon football". And any appeal he makes to the NRL or "powers that be" to do something about their decisions will be completely mechanical. They would be ignored anyway.
Comparisons between attendances at Brooky compared to other games so far this year, will not be mentioned by Sterlo, Wabbits and the others.

Channel Nein have only one agenda, and that is not for the 'game' but for Channel Nein. This is why the Nein commentators love to see even-up refereeing towards the end of matches, and why they constantly promote that the matches are more 'evenly matched' than they really are.
 

jabroni

Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2010
Messages
120
Reaction score
12
HappilyManly said:
The AAMI Park is the one that is the real elephant in the room.

State of the Art Stadium, Tram access or even a 20 minute walk from CBD, one Team City, Sports mad City and they are running at 30% capacity :dodgy:

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/summary.html#venues

Manly Home Games Average 12,585
Scumos Home Game Average 12,114

AAMI has a capacity of 30K, so they're getting 40%, we've got a capacity of supposedly 23K from the aus stadiums site, so we're at just over 50%.

The flipside to the argument is that we have 6-7 local sydney teams playing us during the year at home, that bring with them a few thousand supporters, while Melbourne have no local rivals and are lucky to get 1,000 opposition supporters to one of their games.

I'd love us to have a 30K stadium, with 20K ticketed members turning up each week. Would be magical. Any of our proposed upgrades really needs to increase the ground capacity as well as undercover seating and corporate.
 

tookey

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
8,159
Reaction score
9,649
EagleFromMay1967 said:
Its gonna be the Ch Nein Sunday match.
Gus Gould will get to trot out "The fans love their Sunday afternoon football". And any appeal he makes to the NRL or "powers that be" to do something about their decisions will be completely mechanical. They would be ignored anyway.
Comparisons between attendances at Brooky compared to other games so far this year, will not be mentioned by Sterlo, Wabbits and the others.

Channel Nein have only one agenda, and that is not for the 'game' but for Channel Nein. This is why the Nein commentators love to see even-up refereeing towards the end of matches, and why they constantly promote that the matches are more 'evenly matched' than they really are.

Gould will probably be at Manly buying fish and chips while the game is on. He is not much of an ambassador for the game when he doesn't even watch his own team play

 

HappilyManly

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 28, 2010
Messages
28,195
Reaction score
37,546
jabroni said:
AAMI has a capacity of 30K, so they're getting 40%, we've got a capacity of supposedly 23K from the aus stadiums site, so we're at just over 50%.
AAMI has seating capacity, Brookie has standing capacity. Big difference ! The two stands hold about 7k at Brookie.

The 23k Brookie number was before the Southern Stand was built, which also took away a good quarter of the Hill. The height was reduced and we used to walk under it on the SE corner, now its a walkway.
Now Public Liability Insurance has two walkways also fenced off on the Hill.

The Away Fans at Brookie can easily counted too. The most would be the Dogs Fans, about 2k and that is only since the 2012 defection.

Local Stadiums basically have home Team fans.

Maybe thats why the NRL are pushing the neutral stadiums,( although I believe its more to do with the setup costs for the Broadcasters). But it aint working as the atmosphere can not be transferred without a near capacity crowd. :cool:

The falling attendances will continue to be a headache for the powers that be.

Newcastle are complaining in one of the papers today about our next Gosford game taking away from their identically scheduled game. NRL need geography lessons :dodgy:
 

The Who

Well-Known Member
Premium Member
Joined
Jun 29, 2010
Messages
12,675
Reaction score
16,967
Why did we used to get upwards of 27,000 at Brookie to watch matches against Parra?
The answer has to be because of the rarity of the event.
Nowdays we can watch every match on TV.
Look what TV has done to crowds at Sheffield Shield matches.
 

EagleFromMay1967

Sky Punching : send them High as the Clouds
Joined
Sep 5, 2011
Messages
2,842
Reaction score
1,429
27,000 was only once. I have posted the attendance records at Brooky several times, and the attendances not being those numbers these days is a complex cultural question as well as a 'physical capacity' question at Brooky.

The view from the Western side of the ground reveals that the Hill is a shadow of its former (1970-80's) self, and you just cant fit in the numbers of people compared to days of yore. The Hill is actually pathetic, and should be renamed "the hillock" lowercase ! or praps 'the mound'.[attachment=763]
 

Attachments

  • 2014-03-08 18.26.19.jpg
    2014-03-08 18.26.19.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Members online

Latest posts

2020 Ladder

Team P W D L PD Pts
1 Panthers 20 18 1 1 299 37
2 Storm 20 16 0 4 258 32
3 Eels 20 15 0 5 104 30
4 Roosters 20 14 0 6 230 28
5 Raiders 20 14 0 6 128 28
6 Rabbitohs 20 12 0 8 169 24
7 Knights 20 11 1 8 47 23
8 Sharks 20 10 0 10 0 20
9 Titans 20 9 0 11 -117 18
10 Warriors 20 8 0 12 -115 16
11 Tigers 20 7 0 13 -65 14
12 Dragons 20 7 0 13 -74 14
13 Sea Eagles 20 7 0 13 -134 14
14 Cowboys 20 5 0 15 -152 10
15 Bulldogs 20 3 0 17 -222 6
16 Broncos 20 3 0 17 -356 6
Top Bottom