Pack balance

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Just thinking, aside from all our other squad issues such as lack of a skilled dummy half, we could use another forward with good leg speed, such as Bullemor has shown lately.

We've got a lot of big, semi-mobile but semi-lumbering types that are all similar to a fair degree. Paseka can sprint but doesn't show that on all his runs.

The top packs have their big line-bending boppers but also some smaller, more athletic types. Like that Dogs new backrower from Manly. Liam Martin, Murray, Radley types. Briton Nikora, not a huge guy.

Our edges, like our middles, are the gigantic, power running types. It means if we are not controlling possession we can become vulnerable in defence faster than we otherwise might.

Oh for a new Choc Watmough.

He is playing for Souths and goes by the name Cameron Murray now @SeaEagleRock8. He's gone for a more polished look in this evolution but it's the same old Choc as far as leg speed, short passing at the line, non stop effort and hole running that we need.

Just thinking, aside from all our other squad issues such as lack of a skilled dummy half, we could use another forward with good leg speed, such as Bullemor has shown lately.

We've got a lot of big, semi-mobile but semi-lumbering types that are all similar to a fair degree. Paseka can sprint but doesn't show that on all his runs.

The top packs have their big line-bending boppers but also some smaller, more athletic types. Like that Dogs new backrower from Manly. Liam Martin, Murray, Radley types. Briton Nikora, not a huge guy.

Our edges, like our middles, are the gigantic, power running types. It means if we are not controlling possession we can become vulnerable in defence faster than we otherwise might.

I have the perfect player for you: Jacob Preston. Local lad. Second-rower or lock. Agile, mobile, skilful and scoring plenty of tries in the NRL . . .
Only not for us!

Wouldn't it be nice to have Hynes, Gutho, Verrills, Preston and God knows whoever else we have let go to replace with nuffies, back here now...

I don't think our players are nuffies, just wonder about the balance at the moment.
Fifita in the trials showed leg speed, though doesn't seem to have kicked on yet at the Dragons. But Keppie, Aloiai, Jake, Sipley, Woods, and Boyle, and Sykes (?) are all big trundling types, you need to have enough of those but you need some variety as well.
Haven't seen much of Samuela who is only a kid but will soon become another giant, I'm guessing.

Maybe Fulton could add something as a high energy smaller forward. Matterson even?

I think it’s a massive problem and equal first with hooker as the biggest concern. Someone mentioned Preston but It’s not going to be solved with an edge back rower. It’s the middle forwards that are the problem. Ruck speed is not generated on the edges. You generate it in the middle third and use it to attack to the edges; run lines, etc. Their job is not so much to make yards, more to create opportunities and stop the opposition from taking theirs. Further, Edge back rowers don’t get as many touches as the middle forwards and they often run into halves and centres. It’s the players in the middle that fatigue the opposition forwards and dictate who wins the ruck.

More leg speed in the middle please! The outside backs are also a piece of the yardage puzzle.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be nice to have Hynes, Gutho, Verrills, Preston and God knows whoever else we have let go to replace with nuffies, back here now...
Bob, Trent, Scott and co. were apparently looking elsewhere.

You’ve heard of the cultural cringe. Let’s call it the ‘our own backyard cringe.’

Aloha , at lock is a complete failure. The butterfingered gorm has absolute zero ball skills.
Keppie , run 31m. Can someone explain how this lazy flog is anywhere near 1st grade.
Tuilagi , the tigpies were glad to find a club stupider than them to unload him onto.
Woods , seriously OMFG , the Dragons happy to find a club stupider than them.
Sipley, challenging for dumbest prop in the league.
Ben T , there on name only
Lawton, reserve grader
We have no hope with this bunch of forwards. Easily the worst pack in the league.

Aloha , at lock is a complete failure. The butterfingered gorm has absolute zero ball skills.
Keppie , run 31m. Can someone explain how this lazy flog is anywhere near 1st grade.
Tuilagi , the tigpies were glad to find a club stupider than them to unload him onto.
Woods , seriously OMFG , the Dragons happy to find a club stupider than them.
Sipley, challenging for dumbest prop in the league.
Ben T , there on name only
Lawton, reserve grader
We have no hope with this bunch of forwards. Easily the worst pack in the league.
I’d exclude Sipley mate….he’s been great since he came back from reserves!

I think it’s a massive problem and equal first with hooker as the biggest concern. Someone mentioned Preston but It’s not going to be solved with an edge back rower. It’s the middle forwards that are the problem. Ruck speed is not generated on the edges. You generate it in the middle third and use it to attack to the edges; run lines, etc. Their job is not so much to make yards, more to create opportunities and stop the opposition from taking theirs. Further, Edge back rowers don’t get as many touches as the middle forwards and they often run into halves and centres. It’s the players in the middle that fatigue the opposition forwards and dictate who wins the ruck.

More leg speed in the middle please! The outside backs are also a piece of the yardage puzzle.
Do you think starting with Bull might help? Could be worth a try while Jake is out anyway. Problem I guess is that he is providing us with impact from the bench, and not sure who else can do that.

Do you think starting with Bull might help? Could be worth a try while Jake is out anyway. Problem I guess is that he is providing us with impact from the bench, and not sure who else can do that.
Yes, I like the idea because if you lose the ruck comprehensively in the first 20 minutes, that fatigue sets the tone for the remainder of the game. Some leg speed should help get us on the front foot from the get go!

Sometimes one ruck can change a set too. That’s why players like Spencer Leniu are effective. Charge onto the ball, skittle defenders, get up quickly and the roll on starts for everyone else to play off the back of. Maybe Bully can get in behind the markers (as he has been) and help us generate some momentum.

Last edited:
Yeah, so great that he drops on a guys head and gets 3 weeks suspended. He's had 1 good game out of the last dozen.
Yep it's pretty bad, and even more so because he'll probably take several games to build back up to where he was. Namely, just starting to really make a mark.

I thought Kurt de luis would be better.

Dunno if it's relevant but saw a thread about forwards so here we are...! lol

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4