Our Toughest Opponents Next Season - The Refs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

BrendonStarr

Reserve Grader
We got penalised many times last year when we had our opposition ambushed in their own 20 late in the tackle count. The refs freaked out and thought no, this cant be allowed to happen in this day and age, and blew the whistle because of our over enthusiasm and utter and complete dominance at the time. We werent off side, we werent slowing down the play the ball, guilty of nothing but good old fashioned team ambush Manly style play. This is just one example (out of many different scenarios) where we were blatantly disadvantaged by the refs relentlesly throughout the season.

How do we turn the tables for next season and defeat this?

And that final game against the Broncos. Although we played poorly for the most part, when we finally started gaining some momentum and were dominating the Broncos towards the end for an extended period, and were actually a real chance to spoil their home semi party - All of a sudden we get hammered by the refs with several questionable calls to save the Broncos!

It wasn't just a Manly thing last year. This scenario happened a lot more to us, and others, and very rarely for some.

Refs were simplu poor depending upon who was playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
History has proven that great teams defy all adversity and prevail . When you are good enough you are virtually unbeatable and will defy all the odds and beat the teams and the refs .

Our toughest opponent is ...... Our selves !!!
Mind set is everything and a never say die winning attitude is where it all starts

How bad do we want the win . How much are we prepared to give and how far are we prepared to go and get that win .

We will not accept our destiny from the bounce of the ball or the hands of the refs . Our destiny will be determined how we bounce back up from the challenges and adversity that we will face in the game .

I say fck the refs . and fck all the excuses that any one that can come up for us losing a game .

Need to concentrate on playing footy and if done properly, will take the ref out of the game - really down to winning the play ball.
At times when the going gets tough it may appear a team is picked on....and when its the team we support- becomes far worse
How ??
When the energy is down and an attacking player is turtled onto the back, but does not fight to play the ball....the defender will have latitude.....to go with this pattern a player who has no support becomes an easy target and will be controlled and slowed down more, as 1-2 defenders becomes 3-4 giving the defence control and time in the wrestle/ tackle - Manly suffered off both these areas with the ball.
Defensively it’s almost opposite - due to soft contact the Manly defensive line is bent almost every tackle and the opposition attacker often wins the contest....this puts pressure on the ref to be constantly on the straggling defender to release as the tackle is not in control.....unfortunately this is another Manly issue in recent times.
There was a game or 2 we seemed unfairly penalised for shooting up with pressure, but these type of things you need to recover and not drop heads like the Manly of late.
A total rort like the 2013 GF is worth complaining, but in general, the ref can become an excuse....good Attitude, effort and winning that ruck area will take care of the whistle.

I think first and formost some players need to let the Captain do his job and move away from the ruck and say nothing.

I get that they are frustrated , and I cannot blame them BUT the refs are like little princesses, they get offended easily.

Cherry is pretty good at keeping calm but what he doesn’t need is players going off in the background.

Watch the master ( Scam) at work, yep we all know he’s protected but that’s how you do it.

Discipline is our toughest opponent. Stop antagonizing the Refs by backchatting :wait:

Learn the rules and play by the rules; learn to adapt to the game day Refs and STFU :lightbulb:

Watching the 2011/2 Rorters game underlined this very strategy.
The blatant Ref errors were accepted as just another aspect of the match.
Manly went on with the mission to get the match points instead of arguing with an unchangeable Ref call :nod:

Last edited:
That home game against the Gold Coast last year...still makes my blood boil. When we were well on top, and the ref mysteriously went off with a hamstring strain...then his replacement blew 9 penalties against us in a row, and sent two players to the bin... that was the most blatant example of a ref turning a game around. OK, so we couldn't tackle out wide to save ourselves, but still. That guy had an agenda.

When we start winning we will get the rub of the green. Simple as that.
Well said Ben !!!

When youre down on your luck, You make changes and an effort to change your luck yourself. Winners make their own luck. You can change your situation if you try hard enough because there Is always going to be a solution to your problem if you want to find one.

If we play below our best and lose and blame the refs for the loss, yes fair enough, then that is an excuse, and we can only blame ourselves.

....But if we put in a match winning performance, dominating the opposition in the majority of all key aspects of the game, including discipline, and still lose due to poor refereeing errors/bias etc beyond our control - then we have every right to blame the refs for the loss in my opinion, and its not an excuse, infact quite the opposite -it would only be stating the truth, and bringing to light any adjudicating errors to help fix the game and hopefully set a precedent for any future games so these wrong calls become fewer and far between.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8