Our missing players vs last night

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
That’s the thing that’s invaded this forum, perfection , the constant demand for perfection.

Sure we’d all like it , but it’s not the end of the world when it doesn’t happen.
It's not just a recent invasion! I distinctly recall during 2008 season plenty of forum complaints (might have been the old club forum) along the lines of 'Des can't coach attack', needless to say we ended up blitzing the finals and won the GF 40-nil, lol.

It's a long season, the idea is for teams to build as the year goes on, I think Manly now has something to build on, so I'll watch it unfold with interest.

bob dylan

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Souffs were missing Latrell, Murray, Graham, Tatola & Havili as well but let’s continue acting as if we were the only side missing players

I think if you asked me to rank the Manly players at the start of 2024 my top 8 would have been

Tom & Cherry
Haumole
Jake
Paseka, Garrick, Croker and Aloia.

That left us with Burbo, Koula, Saab, Brooks plus 1 of our best 13.

Things have changed a bit with Garricks 2024 form, and Nathan Browns improvement.

But you cant take the best 8 players out of a fringe side and expect them win a game in the NRL.

It simply wont happen.

Rafferty

Mug punter
Has anyone watched the majority of our Blacktown games?

I've only seen a couple and in those Humphrey's was solid without being amazing.

Stats wise he isnt dominating. So the question is, is he playing that well or is he overhyped???

Either way I'd of played him last night but I'm getting the vibe he isn't as good as Silvertails may expect.
You never really know until there given an opportunity, some step up and make the most f their opportunity, others as you know, with all the hype in the world still fail to cut it in grade.

I can’t understand how we went into the game without a recognised half, I too would of liked to see him there, he may just have stepped up, he would certainly have added some energy and direction with the ball. I don’t understand Seibs, last nights team sheet, positional selections and game plan, well, let’s just say, they weren’t great.

47MVEagle

Bencher
I watched the backend of that game Markos, and they looked as though they'd given up !! Admittedly, the games I've seen from us the last few years (particularly this year) we absolutely don't give up.

I wasn't arsed watching our game last night, because I knew there was 0 points in us, so I can't talk about last night. I didn't watch The Dolphins game either. I'm just not as compelled these days.

But what I can says is we've lost 5 of our last 7 games, so as trends go, we are heading south, not north on the ladder. If this keeps going (i.e. the last 25% of the season), we'll actually finish 14th-15th, so there needs to be a HUGE improvement.

You can have a go at me for being negative about that, but the numbers are the numbers. Maybe if I don't say them, they aren't true ? Would that be better? Then we could all talk about how brave, positive, and fun the games are to watch.
The numbers are the numbers but your interpretation & forecasting based on them are negative.

StuBoot

Bencher
I agree, he may very well be nothing special at this stage, and don’t expect him to be the new messiah. However, I did expect Seibs to give him a run as the next (and just about only) #7 available. With nothing to lose, why not see what he can potentially offer? I can only assume, the coaching staff have already decided the potential is not there to make a decent FG half.
But is debuting a halfback with so many outs and others busted really the right thing to do for him?
Sure if it was just one or two out then expect the call up, but l understand why he wasn't.

LeonardCohen

Bencher
Possibly the most ridiculous mindset ever. How about setting standards. How about driving culture. Look at Penrith. The Storm. Players come and go, but the culture persists.

Imagine running a business with this attitude. Aaaah, don't worry about competitors, let them win ! There's so many variables hahahahaha.

Yet it's okay in your view in football.

Peter Forsberg in his retirement ceremony claimed, "as a club, the only thing that mattered or was accepted was winning, and we held each other accountable with that culture. This is why we won multiple Stanley Cups, and were always top in the standings".

I've had conversations with Jason King about this during our rebuild days, and he personally said to me that they got sick of being almost rans, got together, and demanded from each other they were going to change the culture - and guess what - they did.

I just can't get past this apathy to results, because of: (excuse, excuse, excuse). It's sad.
You do you.

Personally, I’m not involved in the running of the club so my standards, apathy, what I’m willing to accept, or whatever else you want to call it, has no actual bearing on whether we win or lose. If I was running a business (which I’m not), I’d have more control over the variables. In this instance (Manly), I don’t.

I can live in La La Land and dream of a world where Manly win every week for eternity, and attempt to ‘will’ it into existence by venting my spleen on a supporter forum, or live in reality, where 12-13 of our best players are unavailable for various reasons, and we lose a game of football.

There’s no right or wrong way to follow a team…you do you.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
The MW table results of 2024, 2023 and 2022 are the same which is disappointing. This 2024 team is not allowing match results to be the same. So many games of the few years were lost in the first 30 minutes. Many times beat by 20 plus points. The changes in this team has seen them to be in the hunt.
Agree, losses are painful and wins are euphoric.
I certainly look for player advancement and team improvement.
I don't like how we cannot unlock Haumole, Koula and Saab but enjoy what Talau, Brown and now Hopoate bring to the game each week.
What am I getting at? Each to their own thoughts. I'm a numbers person, so the results are disappointing but when I'm in HR, you can't help seeing some positives.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Also how 75% of the squad are absolutely **** but we should win every week even when at full strength

The DCE is crap crew are going to be in for some tough times when he finally hangs them up
He doesnt retire with 10 % of-the salary cap, we get to spend that money elsewhere. How manly handle that transition is more important

I sure dont think we are risking our constant 12 th by accepting the inevitable

Also people
One week, DCE cant win it all, its a team game
Next week, DCE would have won that by himself

Eagle thru 'n' thru

Reserve Grader
With all the players that were available to play on Saturday night, we needed all the NRL experience we could get.

1. L. Hopoate has been going great
2. Vaega brings enthusiasm
3. Talau is on form
4. Koula is solid
5. Saab is a regular NRL
6. Humphreys should've the only debutant in the 13
7. Brooks
8. Bullemor
9. Simpkins
10. Brown to lead from front row
11. Burbo
12. Waddell
13. Lawton.

14. GCKT
15. Parker for cover back row/centre
16. Condon
17. Sipley

I think the above team looks much more capable on paper.

Players missing out
Paulo, Schoup and A. James

Would Manly won the game?
Would Manly scored a try or two?
Would Manly conceded less than 14?

Pete W

Bencher
The MW table results of 2024, 2023 and 2022 are the same which is disappointing. This 2024 team is not allowing match results to be the same. So many games of the few years were lost in the first 30 minutes. Many times beat by 20 plus points. The changes in this team has seen them to be in the hunt.
Agree, losses are painful and wins are euphoric.
I certainly look for player advancement and team improvement.
I don't like how we cannot unlock Haumole, Koula and Saab but enjoy what Talau, Brown and now Hopoate bring to the game each week.
What am I getting at? Each to their own thoughts. I'm a numbers person, so the results are disappointing but when I'm in HR, you can't help seeing some positives.
The strange thing is I'm feeling more optimistic after losing to Souths now than when we beat them in Round 1. I agree that whilst losses are always painful, one should look a little closer.

These past couple of years, there were countless games where we never even looked like winning, we were that far behind our opposition. Even in 19 and 21, we could beat up on weak opposition but never stood a chance against the top 4. Some of the capitulations were horrific. When we started this season, despite some early wins, our defence and attitude under adversity was still absolute trash - and up until a month ago, I had written them off entirely.

The fact is, when we have finally experienced a little adversity, we are now seeing some fight. Maybe the jersey does mean something to these guys? With the exception of a very flat, and underwhelming performance against the Premiers, we are yet to be truly outplayed this season. Our defence has improved quite dramatically this last month (even though the wins haven't been coming in like we'd all want).

Now this can only be seen as growth if the guys go on with this. Come Rd 18, there will be no more excuses. One thing is becoming quite evident though: we are actually good enough this year when compared to the rest - if only we can build on this last fortnight.

Pete W

Bencher
With all the players that were available to play on Saturday night, we needed all the NRL experience we could get.

1. L. Hopoate has been going great
2. Vaega brings enthusiasm
3. Talau is on form
4. Koula is solid
5. Saab is a regular NRL
6. Humphreys should've the only debutant in the 13
7. Brooks
8. Bullemor
9. Simpkins
10. Brown to lead from front row
11. Burbo
12. Waddell
13. Lawton.

14. GCKT
15. Parker for cover back row/centre
16. Condon
17. Sipley

I think the above team looks much more capable on paper.

Players missing out
Paulo, Schoup and A. James

Would Manly won the game?
Would Manly scored a try or two?
Would Manly conceded less than 14?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Schoupp was great, Paulo did his bit. Parker still needs time in the forwards after missing pre-season. Obviously, the only real controversy was the non-selection of Humphreys. The coaching staff had genuine reasons for their decision. Was it correct? Maybe we score a try, but maybe we let in another 2? Again, hindsight is a wonderful thing

manly al

First Grader
Not too sure of the 2 nd half stats but i did notice in the i st half , 51 % possession in Manly 's favor , 13 missed tackles to Souths 4 , was it 62 % completion rate as opposed to Souths 82 %, .
Also think fair to say , quite a bit of undisciplined play responsible for some of the Manly negative penalty count and unforced errors .
Most likely probably not much different in the 2 nd half stats wise .
Sure , regularly some good recovery and scramble defence but as Greg Alexander [ who is probably still regarded as one of the more balanced commenters ] mentioned that there were only 2 i st grade debutantes for Manly and the rest with some reasonable degree of i st grade experience .
Hardly the most formidable Souths line up either but they somehow found a way to manage the conditions and playing challenge and Cody Walker was hardly on his game
Really in hindsight , that was still quite a winnable game and think that is more the bottom line .
Questionable team selections , lack of direction and also questionable tactics in attack , that unhelpful level of undisciplined play .
Unfortunately usurps the quite good effort in most of the defence .
Just another club game and life goes on in the footy sense but these type of winnable games in retrospect can come eventually as a cost in a tight comp or finish .
just do not go along with a lot of the positive spin on this game , game awareness and some specific selection decisions really has to pick up regardless of the personal available

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
And apparently if you blow up each week at Seibold and the players you are more of a fan and have higher standards.
Honestly it’s getting boring.

There are so many factors involved in all things that happen , selections , game plans , wins , losses.

We have a coaching department, with a huge staff , the coach might front the media but it’s a team effort.

Rocky

Bencher
Honestly it’s getting boring.

There are so many factors involved in all things that happen , selections , game plans , wins , losses.

We have a coaching department, with a huge staff , the coach might front the media but it’s a team effort.
Yeah it is the same movie on repeat.

It is a shame as those that try and offer balanced views, or who look at some of the positives out of games (be it individual players or parts of the game) just constantly getting accused of being happy with losing.

Team P W L PD Pts
14 11 3 103 26
14 10 4 118 24
14 10 4 78 24
15 9 6 161 20
14 8 6 60 20
14 7 7 63 18
14 7 7 37 18
15 8 7 -8 18
14 7 7 -50 18
14 7 7 -79 18
15 7 7 28 17