Other games round 1 discussion

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
For anyone watching on Nine or GEM ... was I the only one who just saw an ad for tomorrow night's Drongos vs Cows game being advertised as "the best are back"?

I get it was about the NRL being back for 2020, but they should choose better words when advertising two teams who will struggle to make the top 8 :rofl: .

Um, they are technically correct, they just left out a word...The best of Queensland are back.

What I saw last night gave me further belief that RL should become a 12-aside contest. IMO the defences are too good, and the players too big, for there to be sufficient space for the gifted, smaller, excitement machines.
The emphasis on huge players, both forwards and backs, is turning the sport into a bash-a-thon. Players just try to muscle their way through.
Where was the clever play last night? The attack was static and relied on a kick-and-hope strategy. Look at the size of centres and wingers these days. These are the positions which used to be occupied by skilful, quick men who dazzled when they were given some space.

So a shoulder charge is a penalty only ...no on report ... or is that another change ....

and a trip is not even a penalty .....

Both were parra players of course ... nothing to see here ...

What I saw last night gave me further belief that RL should become a 12-aside contest. IMO the defences are too good, and the players too big, for there to be sufficient space for the gifted, smaller, excitement machines.
The emphasis on huge players, both forwards and backs, is turning the sport into a bash-a-thon. Players just try to muscle their way through.
Where was the clever play last night? The attack was static and relied on a kick-and-hope strategy. Look at the size of centres and wingers these days. These are the positions which used to be occupied by skilful, quick men who dazzled when they were given some space.

True, from memory there was only 1 line break all game, by DWZ.

The Dogs defended gallantly but had nothing in attack. Another side would have scored 2 or 3 tries with the opportunities they had. Parra were there for the pickings. On that performance the Eels will be lucky to make the 8.

True, from memory there was only 1 line break all game, by DWZ.
Yes, and that was made by brute force, nothing clever.
I'm concerned that if last night's match is typical of the standard of RL in the NRL we are in for a predictable bash-n-barge season.

20200313_102854.jpg

This is what you get with the The West Australian paper. The only information on the first game of 2020 NRL.....This does my head in:mad:

^ luckily you have the interweb then! (But I get your point).

didn't watch the game.... was there any instances of this new penalty for touching players in the air on attack thingy I still don't quiet get but it's going to be crap for the game?

So a shoulder charge is a penalty only ...no on report ... or is that another change ....

and a trip is not even a penalty .....

Both were parra players of course ... nothing to see here ...
Ferguson got a fine. , so should have a penalty
No charges for any shoulder charge but given a penalty in game !!!

Gold Coast appear worried that they will catch The Virus from Wighton such has been their reluctance to tackle him...

I don’t care for either the Raiders or Titans really, but I just wish that Fox would have none affiliated commentators for all games. Ennis should not be commentating Raiders’ games when he is or was recently on staff. Is it that hard? Or are they concerned that non-affiliated commentators won’t know anything about the two teams playing?

It doesn’t stop them having a CEO with a previous professional affiliation with an NRL club; which seemed to be one of the major ‘beefs’ of the breakaway Superleague clubs re: the then ARL administration.

Gold Coast appear worried that they will catch The Virus from Wighton such has been their reluctance to tackle him...

I don’t care for either the Raiders or Titans really, but I just wish that Fox would have none affiliated commentators for all games. Ennis should not be commentating Raiders’ games when he is or was recently on staff. Is it that hard? Or are they concerned that non-affiliated commentators won’t know anything about the two teams playing?
Gotta disagree here, they should contract a one eyed commentator from every club and have them only call their preferred team. Can't get more balanced than that.

Gotta disagree here, they should contract a one eyed commentator from every club and have them only call their preferred team. Can't get more balanced than that.
Toovs and Blocker commentating a Manly v tigers game would be great entertainment! It would come to blows!

I’d just rather neutrals for all games - I don’t particularly want to listen to Manly biased commentary either. I am one eyed enough as it is, I don’t need anyone to feed my delusion that 100% of the calls go against us.

Was that Bryce Cartwright who put in that garbage kick that handed the Raiders the ball when Titans had all the momentum and were getting back into the game? And was it him who let that last try in by getting sucked in and then making a poor tackle attempt near the try line?

Wow, Holmes off to a superstar start to his RL return... NOT

And on cue, to embarrass my comment he scores... He owed the Cowboys that one

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7