Origin not the same because ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
They have banned the biff. The anticipation of two players going toe to toe, or an all in is gone. Sure the footy is still great but the excitement created of the unknown is gone. Bring back the biff !!!!!!
I agree.

The gladiator is going out of the fight. Embrace what the game is like they do in Ice Hockey. Sure penalize them for the fight, put them both in the bin for 5 minutes but don't completely stifle it, the players know what they are doing going out there

Money has killed many things. the quest for ratings, mum's and their kids in jerseys and sponsorship.
History and the want of rusted on fans means nothing.

That mums and kids stuff is rubbish. The kids is more likely to get in a more serious fight on the play ground or out at a bar when they are old than a few punches on the footy field.

That's crap in the UK was different when hohaio was punched. But footy players going toe to toe and landing maybe 1 punch out of 10 is exciting but harmless

That mums and kids stuff is rubbish. The kids is more likely to get in a more serious fight on the play ground or out at a bar when they are old than a few punches on the footy field.

That's crap in the UK was different when hohaio was punched. But footy players going toe to toe and landing maybe 1 punch out of 10 is exciting but harmless
"Somebody think of the children!"

On a more serious note, I'm losing interest in footy because it's become a battle of who has the better go forward rather than footy skills. It wasn't too long ago that we had the smaller blokes showing their skills in the back of good, skilful forwards rather these days where it's the bigger, the better. That's just my opinion though.

Origin is just an unwelcome interruption to the season for me. It rates below international football for me now. I used to look forward to it months in advance. When it first started the pubs used to pack out and it was a major event, these days more people show up to watch a fight between two overseas boxers. The media try to drum up some excitement but they're basically flogging a dead horse.
By all means keep it for the few who are interested but lets not pretend it's anything but a media driven sideshow to the premiership.

I totally agree but the nrl dont.

Have to agree with Moondog. Since international football has become a lot more competitive, especially thanks to the Kiwis, I don't think that Origin is the ultimate contest they make it out to be. I mean, most of the current NZ test team would be a walk-up start for Origin right now for either team (but especially NSW who desperately need someone like Shaun Johnson). And the fact that both states (more so Qld) have long been targeting islanders who happened to spend time living in either state takes it away from what it should be, NSW vs Qld.

The way eligibility is going I half expect someone like Semi Radradra to be playing Origin next year despite only having lived in NSW for the past 4 or so years.

Other than that its become a sideshow to the premiership and serves as nothing more than a money maker for both the NRL and Nein. All it really does is severely disrupt teams for just over a month, if they are lucky and their players don't get injured.

It has become a fixture where the good old fashioned sorting out period has been replaced by 80 minutes of wrestling, grappling and niggling tactics designed to push the rules to the limit, in days of old Capt Drizzle, Billy Grub and Hodges would have been dealt with on the field by opposition players. I find since the no punch rule the game is not half as good. Its still ok to shoulder charge isnt it Billy Grub???

I don't think there's a huge difference in skill levels between SOO and NRL games so it's hard to get excited about it. Maybe if they replicated the Rollerball rules that might bring back the crowds.

I liked Klemmer running in on third man in Thaiday and reaching over the top of the melee, grabbing onto his beard and shaking his head around like a dogs chew toy.

The thing that always gets me is the 'mums wont cop it argument'. And this doesn't wash with me for 2 reasons:

1) So many mums I used to talk to about Origin (both league fans and non-league fans) used to love the fact there may be some biff. At times they could be more vocal than the men.
2) We don't need every mum in Australia wanting their kids to play rugby league. And if a few parents don't want their kids to play, that;s fine.

This whole 'include everyone' motif that society in general has with everything is becoming quite irritating. Not everyone has to like a certain sport, a certain thing. That's what makes life great, diversity. People are all equal, that doesn't mean we all have to be the same and think the same.

Origin was boring. The only flair was the Morris try, set up by an offload, a good run, a clever kick and a lucky bounce. The remaining 79 minutes was predictable, die-with-the-ball, fifth tackle bomb and hope for the best football.
When there looked like a scuffle would ensue, out came the handbags.
Origin, and the sport in general, is not what it used to be.

Channel 9, via their shameless resident toadying lickspittle, Ray Warren, chose to spend the entire broadcast promoting a B-grade movie shot on the Old Coast, starring an American Samoan chap called Dwayne something or other.

The game is still being blitzed as a working class mans show piece which is a load of tripe. Compared with the players of the past where guys worked and enjoyed a VB or a schooner of new at the local with nibbles from the bar this lot would rather have a latte or a imported beer with a twist of lime. These are high priced sportsman earning a very good living from the game did what they had to do to pass as an effort , they didnt want to smudge the scribble on their arms and legs and mess thats showy hair styles up. The format of SOO lost me years ago its just another game.

For me, 2 key things have killed origin.

1. The lack of biff. Origin was all about 80 mins of intense footy, that normally boiled over into a bif whilst both teams struggled for power. Now its just a big team hugging session and you end up with two teams picking on each other like school kids.

2. NSW lack of performance makes it a non contest. How is that in 8 years they have only managed to put together 1 win, and let's face it if cronk doesn't break his arm last year, Qld would have won again.

As much as I would love Manly to win every season, it would ruin the game. SOO is the same.
QLD win game 1 and then you basically give up on SOO cause you know what the final result is.

The thing is, it isnt going to get much better. QLD have guys like DCE and Hunt as future halves. The next best option is a kiwi in Johnson.

NSW still dont have a long term paring option. The only halve at the moment who I think is a long term option is Adam Reynolds.

"Somebody think of the children!"

On a more serious note, I'm losing interest in footy because it's become a battle of who has the better go forward rather than footy skills. It wasn't too long ago that we had the smaller blokes showing their skills in the back of good, skilful forwards rather these days where it's the bigger, the better. That's just my opinion though.
Heard an interview with Graham Lowe recently where he talked about how much he abhors the term 'hitup' as well as the counting of them. He said how it used to be a terrible thing if a forward was tackled with the ball rather than taking it to the line and offloading. Now they're rewarded for the hitup. Could not have agreed with him more.

Heard an interview with Graham Lowe recently where he talked about how much he abhors the term 'hitup' as well as the counting of them. He said how it used to be a terrible thing if a forward was tackled with the ball rather than taking it to the line and offloading. Now they're rewarded for the hitup. Could not have agreed with him more.
Graham Lowe must be reading old posts on this Forum. Hit-ups should be re-named Dying-with-the-ball-ups.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4