Orford wins, you are kidding

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He isn't sh*thouse, he just needs to be his best when it counts. If he can hold it together, we have the best team in the comp.

Big players stand up in big games. If Ox becomes a big player this finals series, we win.

[img=175x200]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6242671,00.jpg[/img]
Voted best dressed WAG ... Maite Dehedervary, partner of Manly Sea Eagles' Josh Perry.

[img=121x200]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6242538,00.jpg[/img]
2008 Dally M Awards ... former sexiest man of league, Brett Stewart with Jaime Baker. Photograph: Gregg Porteous

[img=140x200]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6242581,00.jpg[/img]
2008 Dally M Awards ... Manly's Glenn Stewart and his date. Photograph: Amos Aikman

[img=140x200]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6242583,00.jpg[/img]
2008 Dally M Awards ... Brent and Haley Kite. Photograph: Amos Aikman

[img=200x132]http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6242705,00.jpg[/img]

Volley link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=178366.msg196183#msg196183 date=1220965467]
Some little c**t comes at me I am going to come right back at him

On an internet forum? Good one hero.

[/quote]

How so volley, you numnuts.

Neither of us threatened violence, we both gave as good as we got, I don't see the issue.

Or does that offend your delicate sensibilities petal?

Fro's on the money here.  Orford's ordinary, BUT, winning this award will maybe make his line kicks go at least another ten metres, his drop outs forty on the fly at least, his attacking skills in the red zone might just click, he'll be able to miss guys legs when kicking into the in-goal, and not kick to tall opposing wingers and maybe he'll pass to a better positioned player when he makes a break.  There you go, all's good.  My big question is why put this stupid award night on during the season?  Surely no one from Brisbane or the Storm could be bothered to attend, or did they?   

I think Hindmarsh getting the Proven Summons again is the biggest bull****, it must be only Parra fans who vote because he has been quiet and fairly woeful all year.

Glenn winning Back Rower of the year shows how BS the Origin selectors were this year

DSM5 link said:
Fro's on the money here.  Orford's ordinary, BUT, winning this award will maybe make his line kicks go at least another ten metres, his drop outs forty on the fly at least, his attacking skills in the red zone might just click, he'll be able to miss guys legs when kicking into the in-goal, and not kick to tall opposing wingers and maybe he'll pass to a better positioned player when he makes a break.  There you go, all's good.  My big question is why put this stupid award night on during the season?  Surely no one from Brisbane or the Storm could be bothered to attend, or did they?     

I can't decide whether you guys are pathetic or funny......

To suggest he is ordinary is ridiculous. No ordinary #7 can lead a team to a top 2 finish - no matter how good the rest of the team are.

Is he flawed, yeah probably,.... is he the best #7, probably not.........

But he has led us to back to back top 2 finishes due to his relative consistency and I would much rather be hoping he can perform in the semis as opposed to waiting until 2009 as some of the so called "great" #7's are at the moment.

He won the Dally M - fair and square - credit where credit is due - he deserved it - you cannot deny him that.

But for as long as I can remember, Manly fans have always expected excellence  and always needed a fall guy....... it's our greatest blesing and biggest curse as Manly fans.

I just hope everyone puts aside they jaded view of him and gets behind him for the next 4 weeks.

All Fro said was that Orford isnt the best player in the NRL. Hard to disagree with that.

This thread has provided me with some early morning humour.

This topic is a ****ing joke.
Some of you guys should be ashamed to call yourself Manly Fans.

Matt Orford deserves the DALLY M player of the year and halfback of the year.
**** Billy Slater he is a grub!

Who else has dominated the competition this year ?
Prince - Injured
Thurston - Injured
Lockyer - Injured
Where did there teams finish ???? Not equal first!

Matt Orford has played on all year bar one game against the Roosters... and what happened to us that game ? (i know, i know NO Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough).
But, we had no direction at all that game. Why ? Because we didn't have Orford!

Orford didn't post any Dally M points in the last few rounds... Why ?
Same reason as why he wasn't kicking goals for us.... He was carrying a groin injury.
However if he didn't play and sat on the sideline, Would we have still one as many games ????
I dont think so, i believe we would have had more scorelines like the Roosters game.

I agree Orford does struggle when he doesn't have another playmaker in the team like Jamie Lyon. I wonder why ???
What do you think the Coaches are saying when we line up with no Lyon in the team and Menzies is in the 6 ???
I bet they are saying put Pressure on Orford, shut him down!
Why because we are limited to one option in attack with one playmaker.
But he still gets the job done.

So a big **** You! To all you Orford haters

And congratulations Matty, well done you deserve it.

Dally M isn't about the BEST and most skillful player it is about being the ebst and fairest for your team, Orford did steer us to most of the wins so hard to disagree with the points he got, there were not many games in the season where I didn't think he should have gotten points, nearly every game he was always in the top 5 on field

Well then why is it acknowledged as the best and fairest Dan?

Thanks Clon, at least some people can still read :)

I think this should be recorded as one of the very first times DSM5 and I agree on something.

because the best and fairest player in the team isnt always the most skillful etc!

Simple really, I have had players in my teams voted best and fairest and they by far were not the BEST skillwise but they contributed the most to the team with what they had

King link said:
Who else has dominated the competition this year ?
Prince - Injured
Thurston - Injured
Lockyer - Injured

Congratulations to the Ox but your point above probably shows why he won it, several of his main oppostion were injured for extended periods.

When you combine it with Slater's loss of 3 points you would have to say the stars alignied for Matty this year.

Of course none of that is his fault and good on him for getting the gong, we are certainly a much better team with him  than without him.

I don't think you'd want to swap Orford for Prince either, Prince is a brilliant player but he spends so much time off the filed hurt it ridiculous.

I think ½ of Orford’s problems with his game are caused by the fact he has been hampered by playing injured over the last couple of years and has played when he shouldn’t have, hopefully next year will have a backup ½ so he doesn’t have to play if he’s hurt.

Unfortunately the other ½ of his problems wouldn’t stand out so much if we had someone else in the side to cover some of those duties – Hopefully with Lyon back in the squad it ease the pressure a little.

I must admit though I do find it really frustrating watching him taking long kicks, kicking for touch and worst of all kicking for goal from the sideline and consistently not making the distance (he was good last week though), hopefully Lyon can take over some of those duties.

I agree with Fro.

Orford is a very good half back but his biggest failing is that he has not stepped up in some of the big games when we needed him to.  No-one can argue with that.

Hopefully this will give him the confidence to put in a big game on saturday night because unless he does we won't win.

Arguement to be continued at 10.00 pm on saturday night. 

Fro, you don't have to mention you agree with me, it's alright.  And, I'd prefer Prince or Thurston to Matty anyday.  That doesn't mean I'm less of fan, it just means I prefer Prince's or Thurston's footballing talents to Matty's.  Hopefully, and I sincerely mean this, Matty will get his football act together over the next couple of weeks and get us the silverware.  Then I'll congratulate the whole team and bask in their glory.   

DSM5 link said:
Fro, you don't have to mention you agree with me, it's alright.  And, I'd prefer Prince or Thurston to Matty anyday.  That doesn't mean I'm less of fan, it just means I prefer Prince's or Thurston's footballing talents to Matty's.  Hopefully, and I sincerely mean this, Matty will get his football act together over the next couple of weeks and get us the silverware.  Then I'll congratulate the whole team and bask in their glory.     

Both Thurston and Prince have spent more time off the field in the last two years than on the field, I know there good players but we'd have Robson playing 1/2 while they where away, I'm not sure you'd want that.

There both fragile guys.

No way would I want Thurston in the team over matty. Thurston has been fairly poor this year and he is a Major disruption to teams

missing_something link said:
I don't think you'd want to swap Orford for Prince either, Prince is a brilliant player but he spends so much time off the filed (sic) hurt it ridiculous.

The perception that Prince is injury prone is an urban myth. Sure he spent a lot of his time at the Broncos out injured, but broken legs will do that to you. He missed some games this year, but once again a broken arm is just bad luck. Prior to that, over the last 5 years he has been pretty well a regular player. Hardly missed a game in three years at the Tigers, including winning them a premiership and been awarded the Clive Churchill from memory in 2005. Played every game bar 2 for the Titans last year and didn't miss a beat until breaking his arm in Origin this year. So I'd hardly call him injury prone, he is unlucky with broken bones, but it's not like he has had 3 knee reconstructions or a chronic hamstring or shoulder problem.

As for not wanting to swap Orford for Prince.......you'd have to be kidding. If we had Prince we'd be minor premiers and outright favourites for the title this year. The guy is better than Orford by a country mile, and can drive a team around the park consistently week in week out, he knows how to get the job done. He provides direction and has a kicking game that sh!ts all over Orfords. I'm all for showing loyalty to Manly players, but if someone offered me Prince for Orford tomorrow I'd jump at the chance, only a moran ;) wouldn't.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6