Orford new contract

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
Manly are now offering Matt a 2 year contract instead of 3 years.
Will Orford take 2 years, I thought he wanted 3 years only.
Who do they have there eyes on for 2012 ?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/it-could-be-hooroo-for-eric-grothe/story-e6frfgbo-1225779194972

MANLY might be out of business, but there have been some intriguing dealings on the Northern Beaches over skipper Matt Orford's future.

It was widely expected Orford would ink a three-year extension to see out his days at Brookvale.

But the latest mail indicates Sea Eagles officials are now poised to offer the 2008 Dally M medallist a two-year deal.

It remains to be seen how Camp Orford will respond to the offer.  Perhaps the answer lies with his manager George Mimis's whereabouts this week - overseas.

just sort it already.

Sign him, don't sign him, whatever.

its way too much salary cap sitting there in limbo.

If he is going to play, ok. If not, that coin can be used elsewhere.

BErKeLEy_eAgLe link said:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/it-could-be-hooroo-for-eric-grothe/story-e6frfgbo-1225779194972

MANLY might be out of business, but there have been some intriguing dealings on the Northern Beaches over skipper Matt Orford's future.

It was widely expected Orford would ink a three-year extension to see out his days at Brookvale.

But the latest mail indicates Sea Eagles officials are now poised to offer the 2008 Dally M medallist a two-year deal.

It remains to be seen how Camp Orford will respond to the offer. Perhaps the answer lies with his manager George Mimis's whereabouts this week - overseas.

We can always hope!

two years sounds like a better option

Remember he can always play a year and manly grant him permission to shop himself around for 2011

As DMS5 will tell you i am a fan of the little bloke but my concerns of him being with us beyond 2010 is we have
Choc
Stewart
Matai
Perry
Foran
lyon
all off contract at the end of the season
and we really need to retain Choc, Stewart, Matai,lyon and foran atleast.

Any sort of contract Ox signs beyond 2010 will eat in to that, unless it loaded in the first year and drops off in 2011

I respect Matt's efforts and the fact he has been a grand-final winning captain, but if he feels 2yrs is unacceptable I'm not opposed to some new blood.
In regards to Matai it's hard not to admire the physicality of his game, but his chronic neck/shoulder injury is a cause for concern.
I do believe in loyalty but it needs to be balanced with common sense.

manlyborn link said:
...In regards to Matai it's hard not to admire the physicality of his game, but his chronic neck/shoulder injury is a cause for concern.
I do believe in loyalty but it needs to be balanced with common sense.
If Steve played with common sense he would only be half the player he is.

Two years is a good offer at Orford's age. I'm not passionate either way about Orford's future with Manly but he's a Grand Final winning captain and I respect him immensely for that.
We definitely need to keep Choc, Matai & crew. I don't think I could stand watching Choc play in other colours. It would be a blow to the heart. He  needs to stay Maroon & White forever.

It appears that Orford is wanting this contract to be his big superannuation pay packet. The reality is that he is not going to get any better from here in on. Surely the contract that has just expired would have to have been his most lucrative opportunity. If the expectation is that we should pay overs just for the fact that we had been successful in the past, then maybe now is the opportunity to exercise a dose of market reality. How much is Orford worth to any other club?

niccipops link said:
Two years is a good offer at Orford's age. I'm not passionate either way about Orford's future with Manly but he's a Grand Final winning captain and I respect him immensely for that.
We definitely need to keep Choc, Matai & crew. I don't think I could stand watching Choc play in other colours. It would be a blow to the heart. He  needs to stay Maroon & White forever.

Do I detect a slight changing of the guard there Nicci ?

As I've said before, we should let him go, sign as many of the guys coming off contract as possible.

Starting halves Hodkinson & Foran.

I'd say the only NRL clubs likely to be in the market for a halfback are Warriors and Cronulla. All the others currently have an option that they would be unlikely to swap for Orford.

Orford won't be going anywhere, they are just finalising the finer details of it all. If he was going to go, it would have been done a while ago

I did hear that the Warriors made a big play for Orford this season

Spuds Bodyguard link said:
It appears that Orford is wanting this contract to be his big superannuation pay packet. The reality is that he is not going to get any better from here in on. Surely the contract that has just expired would have to have been his most lucrative opportunity. If the expectation is that we should pay overs just for the fact that we had been successful in the past, then maybe now is the opportunity to exercise a dose of market reality. How much is Orford worth to any other club?

Exactly.  I hope we pay no more than $280k to $300k.  I would like a 1 year deal with 1 in our favour. 

Bump.

What's doing with this? When do we stop paying him, I thought contracts ended about this time of year. Seems very strange that he hasn't signed and we haven't heard anything. It's not like they're going to announce it next year.

He will be here next season, they will just be working through the finer points

If he wasn't going to be around, the club would have made move's in other directions by now, and also he would have been elsewhere by now

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4