Optimist/Pessimist pulse .. UPDATE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How do you currently feel about our future under Seibs?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
Today, I have changed my vote to pessimistic. I am very disappointed in the team's attack. I allowed time for this to improve, but after eight games, it is quite pedestrian - akin to Barrett's 2021 Bulldogs. Flanagan is the attack coach. With his commentary work, maybe he is not focussed enough on his Sea Eagles work?

Despite Schuster being unavailable for five games, there is little creativity in our attack - very few offloads, bodies not in motion, no 'shape' in the backline. It's a poor state of affairs when a backrower (Olakau'atu) is our main attacking weapon. Usually, when a team's attack is firing, the outside backs are scoring a lot of tries, e.g. Rabbitohs, Broncos, Sharks. In three games, we scored a total of 17 tries (2 wins, 1 draw), but in the other five games, we have only scored only 10 tries (2 wins, 3 losses) - not good enough!

I think the coaches need to change the strategy of using three bash & barge middles as this dumbs down our attack. I think we would improve if Jake reverted to lock to act a pivot and occasionally change the direction of the attack. Going forward, I think the team should be something like this:

Turbo
Vaega|Weekes
Garrick
Koula
Saab
Schuster
DCE
Paseka
Croker
Aloiai
Olakau'atu
Tuilangi
Jake

GCKT
Fainu
Sipley
Bullemor

I am a great fan of Schuster's and hope he can shine in the five eighth role this year. However, I am starting to concur with some others who think his best position may be lock. With his ball playing skills, power & evasive running, he has the potential to possibly surpass Isaah Yeo's exploits.

If Manly's attack improves significantly, I will change my vote back to optimistic. However, if there is more of the same, I will probably stop watching games for a for a while - it is just not enjoyable.
So you’d call yourself a fair weather fan then ??

When they are going gangbusters you’re all good , but when they aren’t you desert the ship.

Fair enough , lots are like that.

When they are going gangbusters you’re all good , but when they aren’t you desert the ship.

I never miss a game but I often wonder if my mental health would improve if I did. Then I realise if I take a couple of days off ST, the sky isn't falling as fast as it appeared to be.

Mark, it was my intention to get a measure of current mood ... rather than a long term prediction ...

People should change their vote as their mood changes so we get a real measure of the pulse ..

Mark, it was my intention to get a measure of current mood ... rather than a long term prediction ...

People should change their vote as their mood changes so we get a real measure of the pulse ..
Can you add undecided? I rarely flip from optimistic to pessimistic. There are generally long periods of undecided in between.

Brisbane and Sharks next two weeks has me feeling "comfortable" in the pessimistic mob.
Even then, Raiders then Knights before the bye. I hear the bye is $1.87 fav but we've time still.

77.3% and falling ... Get the defibulator ..

R.e36254eda127b7c0735133fc7426b69b

Can we reset it and get fresh results?

I never miss a game but I often wonder if my mental health would improve if I did. Then I realise if I take a couple of days off ST, the sky isn't falling as fast as it appeared to be.
best to not watch it Live. Just watch the replay when we win and skip the disaster games. too old to go through the stress now.

Two suggestions

Watch the game , avoid ST.

We win , come on to ST but be prepared for the “ we aren’t good enough ****”.

We lose , check in about 3-4 days later.

Good time to be on here , after the team is announced up to game time.

Bad time , start of the game until after the next weeks team is announced.

Let me consider that ...

Wouldn't really be a need if people can change their votes, would there?

As you say...it's an interesting snapshot over time (although sometimes I think people are voting on the current state of the team rather than how they feel about the future of manly under the 2 coaches).

Can also set the poll so people can see where the pulse is at without voting (unless seeing the results is the "reward" for voting).

The game day thread takes the cake

I decided this week for the first time in ages to give it a miss.

Honestly it’s soul destroying when we have a bad game.

I’m pleased I did

I agree, but what to do?

You get 'fans' that simply post how terrible the team is at every tiny mistake and they do this by swearing their heads off - and breaking about 4 rules they have agreed to abide by.

But try and limit their posting in that thread and they throw even more of a tantrum, create more user names, tell us how they are such huge fans for so many years and wah wah wah.

It's like land of the man-baby's in there. I fear for the health of some at times.

Some posters find it terrible, some get a laugh, yet most are dumber after reading it.

One could try to have a second game day thread for more balanced posters where posts have to have more substance than 'we (expletive) suck' - but who wants to moderate that when trying to watch a game?

So I think the GDT will probably stay the same.

I agree, but what to do?

You get 'fans' that simply post how terrible the team is at every tiny mistake and they do this by swearing their heads off - and breaking about 4 rules they have agreed to abide by.

But try and limit their posting in that thread and they throw even more of a tantrum, create more user names, tell us how they are such huge fans for so many years and wah wah wah.

It's like land of the man-baby's in there. I fear for the health of some at times.

Some posters find it terrible, some get a laugh, yet most are dumber after reading it.

One could try to have a second game day thread for more balanced posters where posts have to have more substance than 'we (expletive) suck' - but who wants to moderate that when trying to watch a game?

We are adults , we can either participate or not , it’s simple really

I agree, but what to do?

A premium member game day thread would be worth a shot. Make it so everyone can view but only PMs can post. It will either dramatically decrease the vitriol or dramatically increase membership, win win.

Edit: the main GDT could remain as is.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8