Optimist/Pessimist pulse .. UPDATE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

How do you currently feel about our future under Seibs?

• Optimistic

• Pessimistic

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was positive after the trials and the first month and a bit of the competition. It was terrible timing to meet a Penrith team on the rebound, and, unfortunately, combined with injuries, has exposed the cracks. The biggest of which, we just don't have depth.

Starting to get some players back and a couple of up and comers on the bench to watch. Is it enough to get us over the line? If not, I think a few Optimists, myself included, might be jumping ship.

I was positive after the trials and the first month and a bit of the competition. It was terrible timing to meet a Penrith team on the rebound, and, unfortunately, combined with injuries, has exposed the cracks. The biggest of which, we just don't have depth.
The Terrible Tigers who were missing players also played Penrith on the rebound
But unlike us offering excuses for our loss the Tigers Prevailed and won

The moral of the story ...
At the end of the season in a results driven Competiton
Medicore excuses will not mean a thing
Coaches will either
Meet expectations
Over achieve
Or Underachieve

Last edited:
This is their last chance.

I don’t expect a win , but I want to see enthusiasm.

If there’s none , my vote changes tomorrow
If The Tigers can beat the Premiers
We have a chance against the Raiders
We have the players capable lead by our winning SOO captain
We also have a good record against the raiders

If we lose 2morrow The Seibold SS Optimistic ship will slowly begin to start to sink

Here’s 5 Ways You Can Spot a Sinking Ship – Finance Monthly | Monthly ...

Cant we operate in the greys. a gauge between extremes of totally pessimistic and totally optimistic. Like over the past two weeks I was quite pessimistic about Manly's chances in both games. This week I'm slightly on the optimistic side and if Manly can retain something like that team I suspect my optimism may blossom. Terrible when you rely on injuries to get the better players (in my opinion) on the field. I wonder who has to be injured to get Chan in there?

No ... evening out your emotions will defeat the entire purpose of a pulse .. it should record your current feelings .. if they change next week ... change your vote accordingly

Time to call a spade a spade.

We are a very poorly coached football side. I really had hope that seibold and Flannagan could team up and do something special but so far it's been really really poor.

I'm the first to admit I'm was team Des.

He was fired so I whole heartedly embraced the new management but the one thing I was afraid of looks to be happening. My take was always if we did dump Des then whatever came next had to be better but also have upside.

We ended up with a bloke who was so damaged he couldn't get a coaching gig in League and ended up an assistant in Union. The other bloke may as well have spiders all over him given the NRL's dislike for him after the peptides and cheating scandals.

I hear you say.... we were second in the comp. We could have been in the top 6 tonight had we won. Yes that's true. BUT it's true because this season the form line is all over the shop. The big dogs are faltering. The hot up and comers from last year are tipping over themselves. We beat a Bunnies side that hadn't clicked and we're pretty poor in the early season. We beat a Storm side without Pappenhausen and Munster in the 1 jersey(thank christ) that night. We just beat the West tigers wo hadn't won all year. The slime are a shadow of their former selves and we beat the bye.just.

It's true we have had injuries but so have all the other teams.

My final thought is we look a lot worse than midseason last year.
After Tom's injury and the big reshuffle we started playing some tough respectable footy. Before rainbowgate we were on track to make the 8 without Tom or shoe really.

Even in the dark days last year we still had an attack. Yes our defence end of year was shocking but we had shape and could score some points.

This year we have no shape. We have no ability to create the extra man. We have no punch up the middle. We have nothing.

Poor DCE is having a great year because we have nothing else.

Unless the Shoe comes back and started killing it we could easily be pulled into a fight for the spoon with a side that should be in the top 6 easy.

Mate, I appreciate where you're coming from, but due to cap pressure, recruitment strategy, injury, whatever it may have been, we've been relatively unchanged roster wise comparatively speaking with the rest of the opposition over the past decade or so (i.e. less turnover) - most certainly marquee player wise.

We've had Trent Barrett (remember he finished 6th one year), Geoff Toovey, Chad Randall, Jim Dymock, John Cartwright, Des Hasler, Michael Monaghan, Steven Hales, Shane Flannagan, Brett Stewart, Anthony Siebold and others all coach us in that relatively short period of time. None of these coaches (and they are all different types, who bring different things) have been able to get our players playing consistently or motivate them to success. Up one year (for whatever reason), down one year (for whatever reason) - there's just no consistent quality from year to year.

Given this, it's pretty harsh to look at Siebold and Flannagan, and claim they are the problem after 2.9 months of actual premiership footy, and blame them don't you agree?

So then, what IS the problem? For mine, it's the terrible quality of player we have, along with an unbalanced top 30 (i.e. recruitment). BUT, again, quality doesn't mean much these days if you have character and work ethic - look at the Dolphins. So add our poor roster, to a completely unacceptable attitude and culture, you're going to win 4 times in your last 17 games like we have, (at an average score of 27 against in that span).

I honestly hope Fulton ****s up The Tigers like he has, us. In the last few years, they've added:
Brandon Wakeham (from Dogs)
Brent Naden (from Panthers) - premiership winner
Charlie Staines (from Panthers) - premiership winner
Api Koroisou (from Panthers) - premiership winner
David Klemmer (from Newcastle)
Isaiah Papali'i (from Parramatta) - just played a GF
John Bateman (from Raiders / U.K) - quality player

I get they are still ****e for whatever reason, but these are quality adds.

Look at us:
Kelma Tuilagi (from Tigers) - wooden spooners & complete plonker
Ben Condon (from Cowboys) - didn't play ONE game all year) - complete plonker
Cooper Johns (not sure) - was being put out to pasture - comPLETELY ordinary
Aaron Woods (from Dragons) - was being put out to pasture
Tommy Talua (from Tigers) - no comment

I just think it's premature to now blame Siebold / Flannagan. They need time to reshape this roster, and cull all the flops (which, unfortunately, is a huge component of this squad).

No ... evening out your emotions will defeat the entire purpose of a pulse .. it should record your current feelings .. if they change next week ... change your vote accordingly
I see where you are coming from feathered friend ...

As Feelings of either confidence or doubt are induced on and off the field by our teams performance and have an affect on both our team and our supporters

Last edited:
I just think it's premature to now blame Siebold / Flannagan. They need time to reshape this roster, and cull all the flops (which, unfortunately, is a huge component of this squad).
The reality is this feathered friend @Ryan

Mestrov and Seibold both agreed that they took over a competitive finals roster from Des
and at the end of the year they will either meet expectations , over achieve or underachieve

We all hope they start meeting expectations

Last edited:
Not sure I've even voted before as I don't quite get the meaning, (eg 'future' = next game/this season/as long as Seibs and Flano are both here? etc, 'optimistic' = top 4, premiers, avoid spoon? etc)
But today I'm pessimistic even though I tip us to beat the Raiders (they've been up a while, we need to be up now, bit like Souths Eels game).

Would have been good to see some signs of improvement in either results or defence or attack or whatever! Maybe by the end of the year we'll see improvment in recruitment. But as of today: pessimistic!

Not sure I've even voted before as I don't quite get the meaning, (eg 'future' = next game/this season/as long as Seibs and Flano are both here? etc, 'optimistic' = top 4, premiers, avoid spoon? etc)
But today I'm pessimistic even though I tip us to beat the Raiders (they've been up a while, we need to be up now, bit like Souths Eels game).

Would have been good to see some signs of improvement in either results or defence or attack or whatever! Maybe by the end of the year we'll see improvment in recruitment. But as of today: pessimistic!

The question is a simple one ..

How do you currently feel about our future under Seibold and Flannagan .

Personally I think any coach (barring catastrophe) .. deserves at least 3 years to get the squad he wants and have them playing his "style" ...

But during those 3 years I expect my optimism will rise and fall under the more immediate results.

Fair enough except I'm not sure how many of us really expect the Seibs/flanno team to be intact and here longer than this year. Plenty tip Flano to get an NRL gig somewhere soon. Or even here.
But be good if they were, I agree.

But I'm so indecisive. Can you offer a fence to sit on or maybe a happy pill to lift my spirits. But hey I have high hopes for the morrow but for obvious reasons I never bet ... cards always hate me. No Kenos, no Lottos, no one armed bandits, no horsies, no doggies, no lotteries. S..t and I thought I was an optimist. Where's the scotch bottle?

But I'm so indecisive. Can you offer a fence to sit on or maybe a happy pill to lift my spirits. But hey I have high hopes for the morrow but for obvious reasons I never bet ... cards always hate me. No Kenos, no Lottos, no one armed bandits, no horsies, no doggies, no lotteries. S..t and I thought I was an optimist. Where's the scotch bottle?
I’m with you Bearfax! I don’t drink smoke or swear!

Oh **** I just remembered I left my smokes down at the pub!

I’m with you Bearfax! I don’t drink smoke or swear!

Oh **** I just remembered I left my smokes down at the pub!

Hey I bet you do smoke and swear. Oh you already proved that. I guess the bets off then. I was going 3 to one on that one.

Any optimism was extinguished when the Knights nearly beat us and the riff flogged us. It was just the same old, same old mediocre efforts from the same bunch of flogs who dished up last years crap.

Personally I think any coach (barring catastrophe) .. deserves at least 3 years to get the squad he wants and have them playing his "style" ...
I agree with all that 3 year thing to a certain degree
The coach is also accountable for getting the best out of the playing group that he has inherited
Seibold said in the beginning of the season that he inherited a competitive roster
and at the moment we are underachieving

Last edited:
Mate, I appreciate where you're coming from, but due to cap pressure, recruitment strategy, injury, whatever it may have been, we've been relatively unchanged roster wise comparatively speaking with the rest of the opposition over the past decade or so (i.e. less turnover) - most certainly marquee player wise.

We've had Trent Barrett (remember he finished 6th one year), Geoff Toovey, Chad Randall, Jim Dymock, John Cartwright, Des Hasler, Michael Monaghan, Steven Hales, Shane Flannagan, Brett Stewart, Anthony Siebold and others all coach us in that relatively short period of time. None of these coaches (and they are all different types, who bring different things) have been able to get our players playing consistently or motivate them to success. Up one year (for whatever reason), down one year (for whatever reason) - there's just no consistent quality from year to year.

Given this, it's pretty harsh to look at Siebold and Flannagan, and claim they are the problem after 2.9 months of actual premiership footy, and blame them don't you agree?

So then, what IS the problem? For mine, it's the terrible quality of player we have, along with an unbalanced top 30 (i.e. recruitment). BUT, again, quality doesn't mean much these days if you have character and work ethic - look at the Dolphins. So add our poor roster, to a completely unacceptable attitude and culture, you're going to win 4 times in your last 17 games like we have, (at an average score of 27 against in that span).

I honestly hope Fulton ****s up The Tigers like he has, us. In the last few years, they've added:
Brandon Wakeham (from Dogs)
Brent Naden (from Panthers) - premiership winner
Charlie Staines (from Panthers) - premiership winner
Api Koroisou (from Panthers) - premiership winner
David Klemmer (from Newcastle)
Isaiah Papali'i (from Parramatta) - just played a GF
John Bateman (from Raiders / U.K) - quality player

I get they are still ****e for whatever reason, but these are quality adds.

Look at us:
Kelma Tuilagi (from Tigers) - wooden spooners & complete plonker
Ben Condon (from Cowboys) - didn't play ONE game all year) - complete plonker
Cooper Johns (not sure) - was being put out to pasture - comPLETELY ordinary
Aaron Woods (from Dragons) - was being put out to pasture
Tommy Talua (from Tigers) - no comment

Welcome back. I've missed our old 2022 monthly sparing sessions.

You made some very valid points.

However I go back to my default position that our former coach WAS not the issue with our club. And simply replacing him with 2 guys that no other NRL side would touch WAS a very bad decision. At this very point I think its fair to say the new team Has been disappointing.

I would put forward that Des's very limited contract and his inability to fully run the football department as a larger issue. I would have given him the keys to the castle and whatever the Wizard did behind the curtain would have been fine with me. All great sides have baggage.

A lot on here complain that Des destroyed this club with back ended deals and mismanagement But I wouldn't change a thing given the success we enjoyed between 2007 and 2013. Sure we could have won in 2008 and then watched as Snake went to stmerge and Matai went to the Warriors or killer went to the rooters but they didn't. They stuck together and we enjoyed a golden era.

Moving back to today we all know the owner is the largest hindrance to success.

To answer your question about up and down years look at facts mate.

2019 was excellent after we almost hit rock bottom. Even without Tom for a large part we were amazing.
2020 started with our first choice no.9 going dancing and we all know how they worked out. Then the covid shut-down and when it all restarted it was a different competition under Vball rules. We just couldn't adapt our big bopper style to match.
2021 tom slips in shower and we loose 4 straight to open the season. We then go on one of the best runs I've ever seen period. Yes on Tom's back but the team was amazing and so well coached.
2022 we all know how that went. No Tom. No rainbows. No fun at all.

My point with the above is shiw there were reasons we were up and down. Facts are facts.

In closing my point stands that with the same cattle at the same point we are a worse side under Seibold and Co than under Des.

I'm not sure what you and others were expecting when calling for Des's sacking expecting a new coach to come in and sign loads of top players?
We are a side with enough talent to be going much better than we are right now.

Welcome back. I've missed our old 2022 monthly sparing sessions.

You made some very valid points.

However I go back to my default position that our former coach WAS not the issue with our club. And simply replacing him with 2 guys that no other NRL side would touch WAS a very bad decision. At this very point I think its fair to say the new team Has been disappointing.

I would put forward that Des's very limited contract and his inability to fully run the football department as a larger issue. I would have given him the keys to the castle and whatever the Wizard did behind the curtain would have been fine with me. All great sides have baggage.

A lot on here complain that Des destroyed this club with back ended deals and mismanagement But I wouldn't change a thing given the success we enjoyed between 2007 and 2013. Sure we could have won in 2008 and then watched as Snake went to stmerge and Matai went to the Warriors or killer went to the rooters but they didn't. They stuck together and we enjoyed a golden era.

Moving back to today we all know the owner is the largest hindrance to success.

To answer your question about up and down years look at facts mate.

2019 was excellent after we almost hit rock bottom. Even without Tom for a large part we were amazing.
2020 started with our first choice no.9 going dancing and we all know how they worked out. Then the covid shut-down and when it all restarted it was a different competition under Vball rules. We just couldn't adapt our big bopper style to match.
2021 tom slips in shower and we loose 4 straight to open the season. We then go on one of the best runs I've ever seen period. Yes on Tom's back but the team was amazing and so well coached.
2022 we all know how that went. No Tom. No rainbows. No fun at all.

My point with the above is shiw there were reasons we were up and down. Facts are facts.

In closing my point stands that with the same cattle at the same point we are a worse side under Seibold and Co than under Des.

I'm not sure what you and others were expecting when calling for Des's sacking expecting a new coach to come in and sign loads of top players?
We are a side with enough talent to be going much better than we are right now.
You're going to hate this , but I think you might be right and I do actually agree with you. Given the state of the current squad, their attitudes, their energy, effort and culture, I put my hand up, and say I was premature with my opinion on Dessie. I was wrong.

I honestly thought there would be a culture change under Siebold / Flannagan / Dymock / Hales / new fitness staff. But it's the same old crap, same old primadonna's acting the same old way - hence the same old results.

You're also right about the fact we should be doing much, much better. I look at the Dolphins limited squad, all ripping in and pulling the same direction, and I just shake my head watching our headless chooks giving up 27 points every game. Jesus, look at The Dragons and Tigers with an attitude adjustment.

Those two teams performances this weekend told me we are by FAR the worst team in the NRL right now , and that's scary, as I take a lot of pride (sorry about that word) in the fact we've never been lumped with a wooden spoon.

Yep, I was wrong on Des. I was wrong on the playing roster. I probably gave the boys too much credit. Don't have a hooker. Don't have a lock. Promised a winger the centre position. We are all over the shop, and play accordingly.

The roster needs an overhaul, and recruitment needs to be revamped with players with character first and foremost. Players who will work together , and all pull in the same direction. I haven't watched a game in a month, these guys just aren't entertaining anymore (has become a chore to sit and watch them give 50% and lose). I MISS characters like Lyon, Wolfman, Matai, Kennedy, Menzies - players you could easily love. Right now, I DO love Jake and Garrick, I honestly can't stomach the rest.

I feel so bad, and hate saying that btw. Please don't get me wrong, but feelings are feelings I guess, and no-one is perfect.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4