One ref again to save millions?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The NRL may revert to one on-field referee to save money.

The Project Apollo innovations committee on Friday reportedly submitted a proposal to can the two-referee system in favour of reverting to the model used in the NRL before 2009.

One can only hope.

*Next Bunker can only be used for put downs AND simplify the Judiciary by removing carry over points etc

The NRL may revert to one on-field referee to save money.

The Project Apollo innovations committee on Friday reportedly submitted a proposal to can the two-referee system in favour of reverting to the model used in the NRL before 2009.

One can only hope.

*Next Bunker can only be used for put downs AND simplify the Judiciary by removing carry over points etc

They should be reverting to one ref, as the NRL clearly does not have 16 humans up to the required standard.

ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys is "totally supportive" of a proposal for the NRL to revert to one referee for the rest of 2020 based on fan feedback and cost-saving.

A meeting of the NRL's Project Apollo committee on Friday afternoon recommended the switch from two referees, with the move to be put to the Commission next week.

International rugby league has continued to use just one on-field official despite the NRL sticking solid with its two-referee system for the past 11 years.

I wonder if it means the touch judges will have more of a say. I swear they have seen to have done bugger all the last couple of years.

But if they actually call out offside when the storm/roosters/broncs/eels invariably stand 2 metres offside then fine. Happy with that.

Though I'm thinking a lot more will be missed in the ruck. So hopefully the captains challenged becomes a permanent fixture and fans and especially the media don't get too hung up on the missed stuff.

It seems to swing. The media show 10-20 slow motion replays of something missed, public get annoyed, second ref brought in, people get annoyed because refs still miss heaps.

Though, I'm happy for the one ref to be brought back because two were still missing things plus double the refs, double the screwing Manly over (lol...wah).

Watching superleague, a lot of things are 'let go' so the sake of a flowing game - (Ball player not being 'square', dodgy play the balls in general, etc) - but the overall effect seems to be a more flowing spectacle.

Plus, and I've said this before, the distance players can kick a footy means a simple penalty is having too much of an effect in the game. Either make a lot more infringements differential (is that the word) penalties or hopefully one ref will be a lot less picky.

Less ego and less sutton cartel would be amazing in our refs as well.

TL : DR - ge is awesome.

Covered a lot there GE. Totally agree with the increased role of the touch judges which I imagine would have their experience enhanced by the second ref dropping into their ranks, and the concept of a differential penalty that avoids a team getting a kick and shifted up the other end of the field (especially late in their tackle count) based on some 50/50 call.

See that Dessie isn’t a fan of going back to 1 ref ☹

what would he know ,he has only won a few premierships!!

On a serious note 2 referees equals double the f&&^$ ups if you ask me and from what I have observed the 2 refs missed more serious stuff while nit picking on stuff that was minor .e.g missed Burgess dog hit on DCE while picking up that Jurbo touched GayGai s jersey yet missed Gaygai tripping over Jurbos leg as he ran behind him in last years semi ,also missed Burgess again taking out Brad Parker in that same semi ,When I think back the whole double referee bunker arrangement was a gigantic farce.No wonder the architect has finally been taken out with the trash and disposed of.I find the ESL much better to watch as GE said ,it flows and looks less crowded and the refs appear to be less limelight seeking versus the current crop in the NRL ,esp brand "Sutton"
Also I think Wayne Pierces idea about six again for slowing the ruck aka Scum is a good idea and could also open the game up a bit and help eradicate the wrestle which fans despise

Last edited:
I wonder if it means the touch judges will have more of a say. I swear they have seen to have done bugger all the last couple of years.
Covered a lot there GE. Totally agree with the increased role of the touch judges

One can only hope that the younger generation can experience the thrill and spectacle of an outraged touch judge majestically cantering onto the field .. with flag held high ... striding across the grass like a show horse on parade to report an incident to the grateful referee .... There was no greater sight in the game ...

One can only hope that the younger generation can experience the thrill and spectacle of an outraged touch judge majestically cantering onto the field .. with flag held high ... striding across the grass like a show horse on parade to report an incident to the grateful referee .... There was no greater sight in the game ...

I spent 'some' time looking for it but there was one french ref (I think) in the 70's or 80's who used to run around as flamboyant as anything I've seen. Not sure if he knew the rules though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4