One ref again to save millions?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Julian rascagneres
440px-Marcel_Marceau_-_1971.jpg

It will make Cam Smith job easier only having to influence one ref.

I would have thought it gave him 50% less chance to get in the refs ear and conjure up a 5th tackle penalty when the Scum were trapped trying to run the ball out from their own 20.

Covered a lot there GE. Totally agree with the increased role of the touch judges which I imagine would have their experience enhanced by the second ref dropping into their ranks, and the concept of a differential penalty that avoids a team getting a kick and shifted up the other end of the field (especially late in their tackle count) based on some 50/50 call.

Too often IMO we see certain teams, usually Melbourne, Brisbane, Souffs and the Chooks, allowed to stand 2-3 metres offside almost all game and rarely get penalised, yet if they are struggling to run the ball out of their own 20 how often are they bailed out by a 4th or 5th tackle penalty that was really pushing it as far as being a penalty? Something like being a foot or so offside or allegedly not being square at marker.

I've lost count of the amount of times that happens to Manly.

Sorry, julien. He sent Boyd off in 82. Hartley style mannerisms

2nd Ashes Test, Wigan 1982. Lions hooker John Dalgreen had been tackled and while on the ground lashed out with his boots at Boyd. Of course, the touch judge who was watching the whole thing only came in with his flag raised after Les took exception to it and returned the kick. Rascagneres hadn't actually seen the incident as he was looking in the opposite direction. The touch judge pointed to Boyd (completely ignoring what Dalgreen had done) and that was that, Les was gone.

Didn't affect the result though. Australia still wrapped up the series with an easy 27-6 win.

Referees are considering strike action before the scheduled May 28 resumption of the NRL season in protest over plans to revert to one whistleblower per game.

The Project Apollo taskforce has made the recommendation, which would result in an estimated $1 million in savings if the Australian Rugby League Commission approves the change.

However, the match officials and their union, the Professional Rugby League Match Officials Incorporated (PRLMO), are livid about the lack of consultation, which they believe could be a breach of the enterprise bargaining agreement they recently signed with head office.

The NRL has run with a two-referee model ever since 2009, when the pocket referee was introduced to monitor the ruck and curb the amount of wrestling in the game.

-Ah hahahahahahahahahah - what a great job they "stormed"... I mean did-

The refs who tell players to go away, shut up, I'm the ref seem to be the biggest whingers when things don't go their way.

If they weren't such a cartel and tried improving at their job and put aside their little agendas against certain teams and didn't want to hog the limelight so much..... everyone would maybe have been happy at the efficiency, accuracy, and standard of the two ref system and especially the subsequent quality of football matches that flowed on from such competence.

Instead we had the refs boss posting weekly interviews explaining the big stuff ups from the weekend. Though even then it seemed to be: I will say each week a maximum of three mistakes then claim refs were correct in all other controversial matters.

Though I do wonder if the same thing will happen with one ref. TV picks up mistakes that one ref will surely miss... complaints continue, etc.

Anyway, refs whining read the article.

The nrl refs have been a protected species for so long they now believe they are special. Maybe they need some guidance from the UK refs, who have quietly gone about doing their jobs just fine, one ref and v limited wrestling

Also can’t remember the nrl refs complaining about running an international game by themselves when they are given the opportunity

They need a serious kick up the backside reality check

One thing then the other... it's like news websites are just 'clickbait' factories. surely not?!?!?!

Anyway... no striking!

The boss of the referee’s union says industrial action against the slashing of one on-field official would be “silly and out of line and not something they would consider” as NRL coaches spoke out against the move with Raiders mentor Ricky Stuart already fearing the game has become “a 100m by 70m UFC ring”.

While the match officials association — the Professional Rugby League Match Officials (RRLMO) — said they were not consulted about the decision, chairman Silvio Del Vecchio ruled out the prospect of industrial action but said the referee’s were “blindsided” and “disrespected” after being summoned to a Zoom meeting to be told of the changes just 15 minutes before the Daily Telegraph broke the story.

I still can't help feeling they're getting a taste of the disrespectful way they treat some players on the field tbh.

One can only hope that the younger generation can experience the thrill and spectacle of an outraged touch judge majestically cantering onto the field .. with flag held high ... striding across the grass like a show horse on parade to report an incident to the grateful referee .... There was no greater sight in the game ...

Unless he's coming on to report on me for clocking my opposing hooker as the scrum broke...they get a penalty and we lose a prelim to Monto.

Feckin' MONTO!

Nothing worse than a wimpy, dobbing, stick your nose in bloody touch judge. Except losing to Monto.

Yeah, yeah...I know. That was 35 years ago. Forgive and forget....

Stupid feckin' big eyed touchy...I should have given him a touch up...grumble grumble

Unless he's coming on to report on me for clocking my opposing hooker as the scrum broke...they get a penalty and we lose a prelim to Monto.

Feckin' MONTO!

Nothing worse than a wimpy, dobbing, stick your nose in bloody touch judge. Except losing to Monto.

Yeah, yeah...I know. That was 35 years ago. Forgive and forget....

Stupid feckin' big eyed touchy...I should have given him a touch up...grumble grumble

Sorry mate ... your own dumb fault ... why did you wait til the scrum broke ? ... and probably not a good idea to do it in front of a touchie who's sister you were shagging ...

Sorry mate ... your own dumb fault ... why did you wait til the scrum broke ? ... and probably not a good idea to do it in front of a touchie who's sister you were shagging ...

Well I'll be buggered. Jeez it's a small world! Look, I'm sorry about the sister thing, mate. Do you still do a bit of touch judge work?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4