One Big Positive

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sue is 100% correct. Orford had a bad 2009 and the decision to move him on was the correct one. However when he arrived in '06 we were battling and within the space of 3 yrs he captained us to a record-breaking GF win and a WCC. Not too many on here would have predicted that. He can't take all the credit but no one can argue he was very influential.

I don't think we should be pretending that the knives only came out in '09 either. Prior to the final series in '08 there were calls on here for Le Strange to be made no. 7!! For some reason he was maligned by many on here throughout his 4 yrs with us.

I reckon we are missing his leadership at the moment. In the first half of both games so far we have been great, much better than last year when Ox was crabbing across field. However as soon as things have started going pear-shaped we've seemed rudderless. It may take Lyon a few weeks to develop the confidence to lay down the law or it may not be in his nature. But leadership is perhaps one of the unforeseen negatives of him leaving. Not that this was a reason to keep him.....

He does deserve more respect that he gets on here though.....

Dan link said:
I think we need to be careful about getting too frustrated and blaming the ref

We cant fix the forward passes but we can do something to stop the penalties, just clean it up
Even though I thought the tigers were girlie cry babies I did agree that some of Manly's tackling was questionable in that game.
Yesterday, no way. Manly played a pretty clean game and the reffing was just BS and that decided the result.

Dont know why we are talking about the last couple of years & Orford.

We have a halves pairing of Hodkinson & Foran and the remainder of this year & beyond to talk about.

Why are fans worried about the money payed for players, that is really a matter for the club.

The salary cap perhaps is the real issue so in that sense I understand as there is opportunity costs. I don't think that we lost anyone valuable to keep Ox. It worked out the other way actually, so what is the problem!?

Orford valued himself highly, and he delivered at times. Now he is gone. He has worked heroically for the club although he didn't play a perfect game, but really who does?

I think playing half at manly is a a tough gig cause of the history of the position and the expectations.

As for this season, I think Manly have made a great start. I just wish someone would stress the game goes for 80 and not 60 minutes.

byso link said:
Totally agree Susan.

He got us a gf. Noway we would have won it without him. He deserves far more respect.
totally with the both of you on mattys due respect however my 11 year old son doe's longer drop kick's and he's a better goal kicker.

Ox's gone, vale Ox.  Hodko and Foran are the future.  I thought we played smarter and straighter in the loss to Parra.  We'll win at Bluetongue for sure. 

byso link said:
Totally agree Susan.

He got us a gf. Noway we would have won it without him. He deserves far more respect.
My goodness.  So the club may not have erred in getting Orford in for Monaghan?  Two world records in one thread must be a third.  

DSM5 link said:
Ox's gone, vale Ox.  Hodko and Foran are the future.  I thought we played smarter and straighter in the loss to Parra.  We'll win at Bluetongue for sure. 
bright future too:)

Talking of kicks that go hardly any distance... what's up with Tony Williams kicking off... he only ever reaches their 10m line! We are already giving them 10-15m (or 1 or 2 hit ups)

he gets a lot of height, probably still getting confident about that extra length.

Can you imgine ST if he kicked it out on the full

Please, I've been a supporter of the ox. Since he started playing at the club.

It's also true that monas played far better for our club, than they expected.

But there's no denying we wouldn't have won the gf without him.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=182764.msg256098#msg256098 date=1269203470]
Totally agree Susan.

My goodness.  So the club may not have erred in getting Orford in for Monaghan?  Two world records in one thread must be a third. 
[/quote]

byso link said:

[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182764.msg256293#msg256293 date=1269236064]
Totally agree Susan.

My goodness.  So the club may not have erred in getting Orford in for Monaghan?  Two world records in one thread must be a third. 
[/quote]
[/quote]  So what was the several years of sniping at Orford and eulogizing Monaghan about?  Something to do?

we were winning games with 20m drop outs.

its all good we're nearly there. The boys would learn from the narrow losses in the first few weeks.

Poor Newcastle is in for a tough game.   

I'm with Fluffy on T Williams kick off's. I think if he actually tried he could probably put it into the stands so he is probably being a little over cautious.

Mata re-read the first line of the post, all is revieled.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=byso link=topic=182764.msg256417#msg256417 date=1269258080]

[quote author=Matabele link=topic=182764.msg256293#msg256293 date=1269236064]
Totally agree Susan.

[/quote]
[/quote]  So what was the several years of sniping at Orford and eulogizing Monaghan about?  Something to do?
[/quote]

Tony is just paranoid about becoming the latest figurehead for the Mullaniacs if he kicks one dead.

byso link said:
  Poppycock!  You spent years needling people with your Orford/Monaghan agenda.

Coming from the king of needle I chuckle.

Reality is I was certainly against him coming to the club initially for the huge Dollars when Monas was performed well. But within weeks of Orford starting I saw the light and was a supporter of the Ox.

Do you want me to draw you a picture? Or will you continue with this circular discussion.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4