On TripleM today

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe this is part of the broncos salary cap investigation?

In any case the NRL should be asking Johns and Kent to provide their source of this serious allegation.

I would say if a player, no matter who it is, has accepted a secret commission from another club (secret commissions are in the Crimes Act), then he should be sacked immediately & deregistered for a lengthy period while he faces the court case.

Having said that I reckon the rumour is BS.

Shoe1 said:
I would say if a player, no matter who it is, has accepted a secret commission from another club (secret commissions are in the Crimes Act), then he should be sacked immediately & deregistered for a lengthy period while he faces the court case.

WTF :huh:

Nothing illegal in accepting monies from a recruiter in any line of work.

Options/Insurance etc are solely based on hedging for a future outcome.

Matty Johns is an idiot, lets not add to the tin hat brigade. :dodgy:

Poor Sid, maligned by every Media hack - he must be seen as a real threat :angel:

HappilyManly said:
Shoe1 said:

WTF :huh:

Nothing illegal in accepting monies from a recruiter in any line of work.

Options/Insurance etc are solely based on hedging for a future outcome.

Matty Johns is an idiot, lets not add to the tin hat brigade. :dodgy:

Poor Sid, maligned by every Media hack - he must be seen as a real threat :angel:

So it's fine for any employee to be secretly paid by a competitor to influence future decisions? I must be too honest.

It may not be illegal in the criminal sense but it is totally illegal in regard to the NRL and the players contracts are governed by the NRL and they can deregister or suspend a player as they see fit. Kurt Tippett is an example in the AFL.

I do not want a player in my ranks who is knowingly leaving a club and accepting a commission which causes flow on effects to team mates.Having said that I do not for one minute think the allegation is true.

susan said:
All this stuff about whether paying a bloke not to upgrade a contract comes under the predators cap etc is simply rubbish.

The simple fact is that you can't f...ing do it legally and it would be dealt with harshly by the NRL. Can you imagine the chaos if this was ok. Simply ridiculous.

Who knows,it may have happened with DCE but discussing it as if it is part of the salary cap discussion is a joke.
Clearly it is not part of any legal or ethical practice. It is unlikely to have actually happened. Balance that against the alleged doer. ie The Broncos. The News Ltd Owned Broncos. Who rarely see the light of day, re the scheduling of matches, Friday night etc etc.

News corp have a track record of Club ownership and salary cap rorting via illegal 2nd contracts. Payments in tents. This is not disputed. Given the current club ownership arrangements if there is ANY CLUB capable of this sort of unscrupulous behaviour, it would be the Donkeys. Scum are no longer owned by News Ltd.

Shoe1 said:
So it's fine for any employee to be secretly paid by a competitor to influence future decisions? I must be too honest.

Nothing factual about these payments at all. Sid should get his Defamation Lawyer to get the transcript and start proceedings ASAP :cool:

A goodwill payment is standard practice BTW. Players and their families being taken around potential new clubs is one instance of a 'fee'. Would Ennis have paid to take the Family to the ACT ?

The NRL Salary Cap is not a legal structure either. It is merely a.mutual agreement between Players and the Clubs.

HappilyManly said:
Shoe1 said:

Nothing factual about these payments at all. Sid should get his Defamation Lawyer to get the transcript and start proceedings ASAP :cool:

Interesting to see if this happens. At the very least, interesting to see if by end of day he has denied it.

Consider the source people and ask yourselves...............Has Matthew Johns ever been right ?

You have your answer right there.

I'm getting a bit jack of all these unsubstantiated reports in newspapers (especially the Telecrap) and on the radio. They are made without any fear of consequence for basically just making stuff up. I'm tired of reading phrases like "sources close to the player say"....
I mean what the hell does that mean ? To me it's code for, "I have no idea what I'm talking about but if I write some sensationalist rubbish, I might sell a few papers and keep my job for a few more weeks".

Sources should be named or shut the hell up. Bloody hacks. Rant over.

Alan said:
HappilyManly said:
Shoe1 said:

Interesting to see if this happens. At the very least, interesting to see if by end of day he has denied it.

Sid can not deny it, as you can not prove a negative, and more importantly it will lend some credence to this baseless accusation:dodgy:

However, publicly accusing someone of contravening his employment contract is undeniably slander :cool:

Dare I say it 'There's got to be an investigation of Triple M' :exclamation:

Frank said:
Always sceptical when users with very low post counts come on here with these kinds of allegations.

Could be legit but I don't buy it.

I too have a "low post count" but am I a Manly Supporter? Absolutely!!!

Everyone has a right to have their say be it right or wrong but "low post counts" shouldn't preclude anyone's eligibility.

mickqld said:
Pretty reliable source has informed me that Matt Johns is an A grade pelican who's never had an original thought, idea or any sports journalistic skills EVER!!!!!

Geez Mick, your source could be anyone playing with more than 3 brain cells!

anthonyb1965 said:
Frank said:
Always sceptical when users with very low post counts come on here with these kinds of allegations.

Could be legit but I don't buy it.

I too have a "low post count" but am I a Manly Supporter? Absolutely!!!

Everyone has a right to have their say be it right or wrong but "low post counts" shouldn't preclude anyone's eligibility.

I preclude your posts eligibility!

If I was Gift , Choc , Matai and co I would be filthy with the club getting a war chest together to keep DCE and force the older blokes out . The kid can play - but money isnt everything .

It's time for the great Beaver to get involved in this and set a few of the players straight. The Club is more important than any individual. Even Beaver was pushed out. He wanted to play on but the club simply announced a testimonial and the message was clearly sent to him. He understood the Club came first and exited with style and dignity. I'm sure he would be horrified by this being played out in this manner and being leaked to the media.

Ralphie said:
It's time for the great Beaver to get involved in this and set a few of the players straight. The Club is more important than any individual. Even Beaver was pushed out. He wanted to play on but the club simply announced a testimonial and the message was clearly sent to him. He understood the Club came first and exited with style and dignity. I'm sure he would be horrified by this being played out in this manner and being leaked to the media.

I agree Ralphie. The players should understand, that in today's modern game, 1 or 2 big names will have to go. Club can't keep everyone together. I think we were very lucky to keep them together for this long.

If there are truth to the rumors, i think it's said how the players are reacting to the Gifty thing. Sure be upset but they must of known that they can't keep everybody.

eagle40 said:
You can put your head in the sand if you want Nicci, but it's there for all to see.
So it was you who saw them!;)
No head in the sand for me. Too far away from the beach Atm.
Nothing in this game surprises me after Des.
I know the media love a dig at Manly though.
And as far as impending departures, I won't believe anything until it happens. If any more of our champs leave I'll be seriously disappointed but then I'll move on and cheer for whoever wants to wear the Mighty Maroon and White.

Let's just see if that gnome has the balls to repeat what he said today on Monday night show. A damning and slanderous accusation which I bet he's regretting already.

Tried hard not to worry about this BS but if the player revolt is true then it's pretty disappointing. In the current state of the game, the players should be grateful they've been able to play together for so long after 2 premierships and every finals series since 2005.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8