oh no...here we go....again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If they remain hard to beat it will only make our victories over them more satisfying. Never write off manly, and I see a big season ahead should Croker (or Carney*) click with dce. That's the only thing that may obstruct our premiership ambitions. We have a brilliant side

If they remain hard to beat it will only make our victories over them more satisfying. Never write off manly, and I see a big season ahead should Croker (or Carney*) click with dce. That's the only thing that may obstruct our premiership ambitions. We have a brilliant side
Injuries.... refs....

It’s all about fairytales for the NRL so this year will be Thurston’s turn.

Melbourne’s was last year for ‘the legends’ so they’ll be desperate to send Thurston out with a title.

Some team will have to be mighty good to beat the cowboys, refs and the NRL this year.

Only roosters (given their roster) and Melbourne could overcome those odds.

It’ll be embarrassing for the roosters if they don’t win this year given their expensive signings but I don’t think the NRL will want them to win as there’d be a backlash from the fans about their cap.

Melbourne looked better than I thought they would. Brodie Croft just looked like a younger Cronk.

No matter how much they get away with in defence, they just seem to get the job done in all aspects of the game.

Can’t help but admire them.

Last edited:

Melbourne’s was last year for ‘the legends’ so they’ll be desperate to send Thurston out with a title.

Some team will have to be mighty good to beat the cowboys, refs and the NRL this year.

Only roosters (give their roster) and Melbourne could overcome those odds.

It’ll be embarrassing for the rosters if they don’t win this year given their expensive signings but I don’t think the NRL will want them to win as there’d be a backlash from the fans about their cap.

Melbourne looked better than I thought they would. Brodie Croft just looked like a younger Cronk.

No matter how much they get away with in defence, they just seem to get the job done in all aspects of the game.

Only roosters (give their roster) and Melbourne could overcome those odds.

It’ll be embarrassing for the rosters if they don’t win this year given their expensive signings but I don’t think the NRL will want them to win as there’d be a backlash from the fans about their cap.

And Bellamy can obviously coach.

I maybe the minority here , but no they will not go back to back . Ok the nrl love them but will need a lot of luck to be the first team since the 92 ,3 seasons to do so . Croft played well apparently last night against a team that is well below our standards , and backing that up week in week out in the nrl will be a huge ask . Slater is getting older and more fragile and cannot see him getting through another full season as well as aggravating his shoulder again last night. No Cronk which his wingman will miss him big time also his organization skills in big games will be irreplaceable. Smith is due for an injury then she's curtains . All stacking up against them , so ill be death riding them .

I maybe the minority here , but no they will not go back to back . Ok the nrl love them but will need a lot of luck to be the first team since the 92 ,3 seasons to do so . Croft played well apparently last night against a team that is well below our standards , and backing that up week in week out in the nrl will be a huge ask . Slater is getting older and more fragile and cannot see him getting through another full season as well as aggravating his shoulder again last night. No Cronk which his wingman will miss him big time also his organization skills in big games will be irreplaceable. Smith is due for an injury then she's curtains . All stacking up against them , so ill be death riding them .

That's a good point. Leeds were well below their best last night so while it may have been a good hit out for Melbourne, I wouldn't read too much into it. Sure they are still probably regarded as the team to beat, but I wasn't convinced despite the score and will wait to see how they go week in, week out in the NRL season.

Its easy to look good against a team who played like Leeds did last night.

The difference between Melbourne and all other clubs is that they have (virtually) no juniors. They get many of the best young players from Queensland and seem to have a good system of bringing them through the grades. When they are given their chance in first grade they fit seamlessly into the 'machine'. They don't buy established stars, so they don't pay overs. Their biggest buy this season was Fatsiano who didn't even make their 17. And when he does you can bet he'll be a far better player than when he was at the Dogs.
Compare the Storm's 'growth' philosophy with that of Easts who have a 'teenage' mentality of buying everything that is in fashion, regardless of the cost, and discarding last seasons' models. Hence, Easts pay overs for guys like Cronk and Melbourne who have developed a Cronk-crone for one-fifth of the price.
That's why I like Manly's more recent approach of cultivating young talent, and keeping them. By next season we should have the majority of our first grade team under 23 years of age who can become a dynasty. Promoting from within is where I see our future lies rather than Easts' instant gratification approach.

I've been saying it for years that Bellamy is the best coach in the NRL and they have a great signing/retention team. Like it or not they'll be up the top of the ladder again this year. There structure and game is the same as ever, they make few mistakes, generally win the ruck and have plenty in attack. New players who have struggled at other clubs just seem to fit straight into the team e.g with Croft replacing Cronk seamlessly. I can't remember too many of their signings flopping, and obscure players brought into the team fit like gloves, e.g Munster, Scott, Addo-carr, Hughes, Braden smith, Croft and the list goes on.

Since Bellamy started coaching them they haven't missed the 8 as far as I can recall. Yeah, they did cheat and lose a few titles but they've always been at the top of the table even when they were playing for no points and after losing a few of their stars.

The difference between Melbourne and all other clubs is that they have (virtually) no juniors. They get many of the best young players from Queensland and seem to have a good system of bringing them through the grades. When they are given their chance in first grade they fit seamlessly into the 'machine'. They don't buy established stars, so they don't pay overs. Their biggest buy this season was Fatsiano who didn't even make their 17. And when he does you can bet he'll be a far better player than when he was at the Dogs.
Compare the Storm's 'growth' philosophy with that of Easts who have a 'teenage' mentality of buying everything that is in fashion, regardless of the cost, and discarding last seasons' models. Hence, Easts pay overs for guys like Cronk and Melbourne who have developed a Cronk-crone for one-fifth of the price.
That's why I like Manly's more recent approach of cultivating young talent, and keeping them. By next season we should have the majority of our first grade team under 23 years of age who can become a dynasty. Promoting from within is where I see our future lies rather than Easts' instant gratification approach.

I think in their now 20 years in the NRL....they have only had 2 (maybe 1) junior come through from the Victorian state league ranks.

Here is something to ponder. While the NSW based NRL clubs (plus Canberra and the Warriors) each have one feeder club in the NSW Cup......the Broncos have 5 feeder clubs in the Qld Cup while the Cowboys and Titans have 3 each and Melbourne have 2.

Just think about that........o_O

Last edited:
I'm with @brad - I can't see Slater lasting the year and Smith's luck has to run out sooner than later. Without the big 3, the Storm are doomed, even with the refs' help.

I don't think Leeds really tested them up the middle,they had energy early in defense but none of those Leeds props would make an NRL squad.The soft tries on the edges will not happen against NRL sides so easily.The backrowers(Leeds) made some good metres but an NRL calibre forward pack will put the Storm under a lot more pressure(jury is still out for me)

I've been saying it for years that Bellamy is the best coach in the NRL and they have a great signing/retention team. Like it or not they'll be up the top of the ladder again this year. There structure and game is the same as ever, they make few mistakes, generally win the ruck and have plenty in attack. New players who have struggled at other clubs just seem to fit straight into the team e.g with Croft replacing Cronk seamlessly. I can't remember too many of their signings flopping, and obscure players brought into the team fit like gloves, e.g Munster, Scott, Addo-carr, Hughes, Braden smith, Croft and the list goes on.

Since Bellamy started coaching them they haven't missed the 8 as far as I can recall. Yeah, they did cheat and lose a few titles but they've always been at the top of the table even when they were playing for no points and after losing a few of their stars.
good points you raise - with one thing missing: storm are the biggest cheats in the comp and they get away with game after game.....is there another side that holds down tackled players in the ruck as long as they do and not get pinged? they do it all game every game and all fans see it and it drives them bonkers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8