Official manly release

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Des Hasler to leave the Sea Eagles at the end of 2012
8/10/2011 11:54:27 AM
The Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles have started the search for a new coach for 2013 after been advised by Des Hasler that he intends to leave the club at the end of the 2012 season to join the Bulldogs.

After 8 years as Coach and having achieved another career milestone in helping the Sea Eagles win its 8th Premiership, Des has decided it is time to take on a new challenge in 2013.

The Club put forward a compelling financial offer however Des was motivated by the challenge of writing a new chapter in his coaching career.

Sea Eagles Chairman Scott Penn said:
“After 255 games and winning 2 Premierships as a Player and 206 games as Coach including 2 Premierships, we cannot thank Des enough for his exceptional and loyal service to the Sea Eagles. We are very disappointed that we couldn’t come to terms with Des for a long term contract extension, however the realities of the modern game are that dual premiership winning coaches such as Des are not only in high demand but can attract significant financial packages. Whilst we put forward a substantial offer to match the competition, it was obvious Des was seeking a new challenge in 2013.”

Des Hasler said:
“It is a credit to the players and my staff who have worked tirelessly to achieve the successes of 3 Grand Final appearances and 2 titles. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 8 years as coach of the club and look forward to a final successful year in 2012. It is business as usual.”

The Club will now begin a process to recruit a new coach for the 2013 season with a number of internal candidates already in the mix as part of the clubs succession plan.

This has just been placed on the club website. Thoughts anyone wonder why nothing was done to the media.

Hmmmm - looks like Tooves, Penna and maybe Egan.

No Des has made his decision, don't hold back on trying to keep the support staff like Crusher & co here.

They found an extra 600k p.a. to try to keep Des, take this and throw it at Crusher and co. We keep them and we will be OK. I reckon Tooves would be a gun in the coaches box.

Crusher may not want to follow DES to the dogs, he would never get the money DES is on. Plus he has fostered relationships with alot of the current manly players aswell as some of the young kids, he might want to stay with troves and cliffy who he would definitely have a relationship with and see them all grow. Jamie lyon is also captain so his relationship with crusher is also going to be pivotal in us keeping him

Well I'd like to think it's going to work BUT I have grave fears it wont. Money wasn't the reason Des is going it is his distrust and resentment of the board/management over many things. His statement that he couldn't come to a mutual agreement on future direction indicates that, so how is he going to work on any future direction next year when he has NO future here.I want him to stay on as all the staff and players and repeat what has been achieved next year but I just can't see how it's going to work. There will be too much media speculation,pressure and scruitiny on the whole organisation next year. If we dont sit 1 or 2 on the table the whole year then the knives will come out big time and the paranoia and frenzy of the media,fans, sponsors and administrators will make us a laughing stock. Imagine how much scruitinty there will be on all these players with contract negotiations and get out clauses. Half measures here will not solve what needs to be done. Manly needs future direction and plans and they are not going to get it with Des as head of the team.

I think maybe a few of the players clauses might state that they can only leave if Des is sacked. But they may not be valid if he chooses to leave at the end of his contract. This is why i reckon we are keeping him on.

If Des wants the "challenge", then don't go taking the whole support staff and some players with him. That is just destroying the club he has coached successfully for so many years.

Manly need Crusher to keep the young players right up to the top like Lyon staying with the club.

I don't think there is much in the middle here. Depending if Crusher stays and what respect players have for the 2013 coach, it will either be a relatively smooth transition, or something that will take 6 or more years to recover from.

Maybe they won't leave, but who would have imagined the Stewarts would ever leave? Will this have a massive impact on future stars DCE and Foran? We need to keep Lyon until he retires.

Get Menzies back also to ensure the Watmoughs and Stewarts understand the one club player mentality.

yes we won the GF in 2011, but it feels worse than the Northern Eagle years until more time passes and we get a better understanding of who will be staying at manly.

Who was the player that stated, " Some thing are out of our control and we just have to concentrate on winning games ", when asked about the Zorba sacking? It may have been Robbo. My point is, that is the only attitude we can have as fans and it's the only attitude that will count amongst the players next year. We can not control what happens or influence any decisions made by staff or players.
Des Hasler, although a great coach, is not the be all and end all of coaches. Look at Anthony Griffin, a virtual nobody who took the reigns at the Broncos amidst all sorts of drama and got them to a prelim final. Crusher is not the be all and end all of player scouts. Who is Melbournes talent scout? Whoever it is they do a great job.
Manly as club may stumble and be a little off the pace over the next 12 months or so, but we will survive this and move on to better times. Anyone who thinks this is major catastrophe that will somehow ruin any chance of future success is a liitle short sighted. We've been through worse times. Remember the Northern Eagles?? There are big shoes to fill, but they will be filled by someone. Nobody is irreplacable ever.

mickqld said:
His statement that he couldn't come to a mutual agreement on future direction indicates that, so how is he going to work on any future direction next year when he has NO future here.

open your eyes folks the only thing that makes sense in all of this is Central Coast Eagles! Yes, Dessie didn't agree with the future directions and NOR do I!!

Do not discount that this may be the underlying issue

:exclamation:

Little Grubber Kick said:
mickqld said:
His statement that he couldn't come to a mutual agreement on future direction indicates that, so how is he going to work on any future direction next year when he has NO future here.

open your eyes folks the only thing that makes sense in all of this is Central Coast Eagles! Yes, Dessie didn't agree with the future directions and NOR do I!!

Stupid Post of the Year!!!

Nothing to do with the Central Coast. The Football Club Board, attributed as the main problem, is totally against this.

This is more about the power of the 'Faceless Men' of Manly against a Coaching Staff and Players who resent each other.

Do we have a succession plan or not? If we do then why do we need to conduct a process which seems to be open to all, including internal personel. Surely if there is plan than its what happens if Des goes and if we have to start interviewing people, then its really not much of a plan than is it.

Little Grubber Kick said:
mickqld said:

Is that you bob????

A "New challenge" my arse. When are you going to grow some balls Penn and tell us what really happened. We, the members deserve better, so stop treating us like fools. Just tell your version of who ****ed up!

Get it out in the open and let us, the members, who have paid their hard-earned to support the club, make an informed decision rather than be told lies.

The smart thing to do would be to appoint Toovey asap for 2013. That way he can work to retain those people within the playing group and the operations staff that he wants beyond next year. And seek those he may want from elsewhere also.

We don't need a lackadaisical 'do nothing' state of flux, like we've had for much of the last few years, that reached its nadir under the stewardship of Lowe.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6