Off Field Incidents

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
With all these off field dramas over the past couple of years with other sides, I dont think the manly boys have been involved in too much trouble if any at all.

Both management/coaching staff and the players should be commended for this.

Good post. Its a point Clon that doesnt seem to be recognised enough.

Ive posted this very topic before and its one of the reasons why I respect the club as I do. We are rolemodel cleanskins compared to most other clubs and the NRL should be thankful.

No a couple of years ago we had our fair share but when that happened procedures were put in place by management to stop it from happening.

I think it also shows the maturity and professionalism of most of our squad.

I remember in 2003 when management hired a security guard to follow the team around and ensure that everything was in order. A lot of these incidents occur because drunk idiots with big egos try and challenge footballers, who can't defend themselves without causing a frenzy.

I'm glad our disgraces have been kept on the field. :|

It's one thing which league seems to be able to put their hand up more about than the AFL.
League players are always portrayed as the bad boys, yet this is simply becasue most of the time when an AFL player stuffs up it is swept under the carpet.
I'd be interested to see when they release those AFL players names who tested positive to recreactional drugs (and they will when the court case is completed)- the Sydney media should jump on it and milk it for all its got!!!
I see a couple of Pies players are in a bit of strife at the moment...of course all they got is a wrap over the knuckles and a five thousand dollar fine....what a joke.

I can tell you the names of those who tested positibe Pete, its common knowledge down here.

*coughs email me* but seriously- anyone in their 20s that goes out and about of a weekend would be able to see with their own two eyes (all be it they are a bit dilated) that it is a majority that are indulging in recreactional drugs.
That is my opinion and it is not just limited to the cities- it is everywhere across all social demographics.
I don't think this is a big problem as people have the right to do what they want to do but to label it as a problem with footballers with too much money to spend is way off the mark- it is a social problem (for want of a better word).

A lot of these incidents occur because drunk idiots with big egos try and challenge footballers, who can't defend themselves without causing a frenzy.

How true is that. Ive been in amy places where footy players are enjoying themselves and a foolish & drunken member of the public harrasses them in some way. I had to pull one of my friends away from a situation with Ricky Stuart years agao at that Hotel the players stay at at SOO time. Ricky was simply enjoying a beer at the bar and not bothering anyone. My friend was a tool who just didnt like him.

Women also plan and make deliberate approaches to footy players in public places with the specific intention of causing a public issue (ive said that mildly) for the player & club to have to deal with & make go away.

I think the players do it tough in this respect. No wonder Beaver has a permanent card table set up ! Smart thinking.

[quote author=clontaago]
I can tell you the names of those who tested positibe Pete, its common knowledge down here.

*coughs email me* but seriously- anyone in their 20s that goes out and about of a weekend would be able to see with their own two eyes (all be it they are a bit dilated) that it is a majority that are indulging in re reactional drugs.
That is my opinion and it is not just limited to the cities- it is ever where across all social demographics.
I don't think this is a big problem as people have the right to do what they want to do but to label it as a problem with footballers with too much money to spend is way off the mark- it is a social problem (for want of a better word).
[/quote]

I suppose that makes the case for the morality police though. Footballer's behaviour is influencing the broader community by glorifying the rec drug lifestyle.

I think it's a load of crap but obviously there is a case to be made for those wishing to target sportsmen.

Just for the record, every crossing I've had with NRL players off the field has been pleasant. I spoke to Anasta at a nightclub after they gave us a touch up in a trial, he told me to 'stick by em'. I saw what seemed like 3/4 of the NRL the night we played Italy and although they were taunted constantly and shadowed by girls, they all seemed like a decent bunch of guys and behaved impecibly.

While I don't think that every NRL player behaves themselves all the time, equally any cross section of society has their exceptions. It's just not fair that all players have been given a blanket status as 'thug' by the masses. The NRL aren't protecting their players and the media has been unchecked on their way to creating this image.

The AFL is seen as an asset to protect by Melbourne's media the same way that the NRL is target practise for Sydney's. Which then leads me to News Ltd's involvement in the game, but that's for another thread.

[quote author=PJ]
[quote author=clontaago]

*coughs email me* but seriously- anyone in their 20s that goes out and about of a weekend would be able to see with their own two eyes (all be it they are a bit dilated) that it is a majority that are indulging in re reactional drugs.
That is my opinion and it is not just limited to the cities- it is ever where across all social demographics.
[/quote]

I suppose that makes the case for the morality police though. Footballer's behaviour is influencing the broader community by glorifying the rec drug lifestyle.

I think it's a load of crap but obviously there is a case to be made for those wishing to target sportsmen.

Just for the record, every crossing I've had with NRL players off the field has been pleasant. I spoke to Anasta at a nightclub after they gave us a touch up in a trial, he told me to 'stick by em'. I saw what seemed like 3/4 of the NRL the night we played Italy and although they were taunted constantly and shadowed by girls, they all seemed like a decent bunch of guys and behaved impecibly.

While I don't think that every NRL player behaves themselves all the time, equally any cross section of society has their exceptions. It's just not fair that all players have been given a blanket status as 'thug' by the masses. The NRL aren't protecting their players and the media has been unchecked on their way to creating this image.

The AFL is seen as an asset to protect by Melbourne's media the same way that the NRL is target practise for Sydney's. Which then leads me to News Ltd's involvement in the game, but that's for another thread.
[/quote]

agreed....most of the players I've met have been top people with few exceptions- as you would find in most walks of life.
I also agree in some respects that they have a responsibility to act as role models but at the same time some of the intrusions into their personal life is over the top on not needed (unfair). It never really happened in the past (as in pre-90s) but then again there were less outlets to broadcast things like that on.

Very pertinent comments from C_Eagle. I am not sure I have seen a serious thread involving him before but he is on the money.

There are very double standards from our media and society when it comes to recreational drugs and alcohol.

I can't endorse the drug comments made here, though in certain sectors (not all) they are widely available. Maybe I am old-fashioned/naiive but there are wider responsibilities that clubs/players do hold.

Things have definitely changed for the better. Seeing players back at the club they have been on the very best of behaviour. Back in the eighties and early nineties there were players who were just plain obnoxious, but I don't see that anymore.

Very pertinent comments from C_Eagle. I am not sure I have seen a serious thread involving him before but he is on the money.

There are very double standards from our media and society when it comes to recreational drugs and alcohol.

I can't endorse the drug comments made here, though in certain sectors (not all) they are widely available. Maybe I am old-fashioned/naiive but there are wider responsibilities that clubs/players do hold.

Yeah that is fair enough and the clubs do have a responsibilty in that regard- there is no doubt about that.
It is the medias influence on all of this which I think is a bit out of hand.
We only see a select few case's (eg. Walker) plastered across the news yet he is far from the lone soldier. While he made a stupid choice I'd be interested to see if say a certain favourite son in Newcastle was put under the spotlight in that regard because I'm sure there is plenty of dirt floating around on him...(make that positive)

I'm on the straight and narrow now after being threatened by Ryan and co.

Here is a question for all of us.

Is there any of us that can say we have no incident on our files from the time we were 18-35 which would have made headlines if we were a famous footballer (or famous in general)?

I know I'd have hit the headlines several times.

Agreed Mata. Thats why I think the current crop of players deserve praise. I would have to stay off the drink completely if I played at that level.

I want to see if there is anyone pious enough to answer in the affirmative. ;)

Maybe one or two of the old timers amongst us.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4