Off contract players - back up FB?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

George Rose's Butcher

"A succulent chinese meal!"

Interesting reading about walker and the tigers... dont see it happening!

Tex hoy is on the list of players. Imo he would be a great back up for tommy he plays fb well and kicks goals. Perhaps we should look at him for the right price and a 2 year deal. He isn't the best in defence but neither are any of our back up fullbacks.

What you guys & gal's think?

Ideally a back-up FB would play a role in our preferred 17 so he is continually playing with the starting group., for me that would ideally be the utility on the bench. I doubt any guys out there who could fill in capably at FB would be happy signing as a bench utility so he would most probably need to come from within. Weeks could possibly fill that role in '23or '24 but I can't see anyone ready to go in '22. I guess the easiest fill-in to find would need to be a starting 13 winger or centre.
I hope Scarf is training at FB all the time next pre-season coz i'm not even the slightest bit keen on any of the guys on that list..

Interesting reading about walker and the tigers... dont see it happening!

Tex hoy is on the list of players. Imo he would be a great back up for tommy he plays fb well and kicks goals. Perhaps we should look at him for the right price and a 2 year deal. He isn't the best in defence but neither are any of our back up fullbacks.

What you guys & gal's think?
Don’t like him at all. Would prefer Garrick. tex hoy is a plodder as far as full backs go. Tbh this signing is more promising than Tex Hoy.

Red Pill posted this in the signings forum, so it looks like we have our back-up fullback:
Bega Roosters fullback Toroa Rapana has been signed by the Manly Sea Eagles. The 20-year-old known by his teammates as 'T' will join Manly's Jersey Flegg Under 21's squad in 2022. Roosters Coach, Scott Barton, said it's great to see the young man's hard work pay off, especially given 2021 was his first season playing rugby league after making the move from New Zealand to Australia and making the switch from rugby union. "Coaching T this year and being the guy who made contact with T to come over here, I'm very proud of him," Barton said. "I know the boys and the rest of the club are proud of him," he said. "We just wish him the best, there's a lot of hard work coming up for him and he'll rise to the challenge and I look forward to hopefully watching him play in a few games next year for Manly." The fullback will head to Manly around November to follow his dreams of playing at a higher level. Rapana and Shay Gray arrived in Bega from across the ditch on 17 January 2021 and completed pre-season with the Roosters with both players fitting into the club extremely well. "T has been a pleasure to coach and has a lot of natural ability," Barton said. "A player manager has seen his talents and put it to Manly, and Manly were keen to have him." It's a boon for the Roosters to have top tier clubs looking at players in our area. "It's great for the club that players in our club get recognised," Barton said. "Especially our little connection we have back in New Zealand," he continued. "All the four boys that have come from NZ to Bega, all of their friends are keeping an eye on them. "So for the young kids over there, they look at Bega Roosters and think 'yeah we can go to Australia, and can go to the Bega Roosters, and the way that T and the other boys have been looked after and T's been able to develop his game and go on and sign with Manly." Image: Sport Vision Tags: manly sea eagles, Bega Roosters More Articles ... New website to support South Coast families Boys charged with killing kangaroos No lockdown for Bega Valley Vessels at Eden's Snug Cove to be disposed of Listen Live LIVE STREAM 2EC The South Coast's Greatest Hits OPEN PLAYER

Source: https://www.2ec.com.au/news/109587-bega-rooster-signs-with-manly-sea-eagles
News
© 2EC

Red Pill posted this in the signings forum, so it looks like we have our back-up fullback:
Bega Roosters fullback Toroa Rapana has been signed by the Manly Sea Eagles. The 20-year-old known by his teammates as 'T' will join Manly's Jersey Flegg Under 21's squad in 2022. Roosters Coach, Scott Barton, said it's great to see the young man's hard work pay off, especially given 2021 was his first season playing rugby league after making the move from New Zealand to Australia and making the switch from rugby union. "Coaching T this year and being the guy who made contact with T to come over here, I'm very proud of him," Barton said. "I know the boys and the rest of the club are proud of him," he said. "We just wish him the best, there's a lot of hard work coming up for him and he'll rise to the challenge and I look forward to hopefully watching him play in a few games next year for Manly." The fullback will head to Manly around November to follow his dreams of playing at a higher level. Rapana and Shay Gray arrived in Bega from across the ditch on 17 January 2021 and completed pre-season with the Roosters with both players fitting into the club extremely well. "T has been a pleasure to coach and has a lot of natural ability," Barton said. "A player manager has seen his talents and put it to Manly, and Manly were keen to have him." It's a boon for the Roosters to have top tier clubs looking at players in our area. "It's great for the club that players in our club get recognised," Barton said. "Especially our little connection we have back in New Zealand," he continued. "All the four boys that have come from NZ to Bega, all of their friends are keeping an eye on them. "So for the young kids over there, they look at Bega Roosters and think 'yeah we can go to Australia, and can go to the Bega Roosters, and the way that T and the other boys have been looked after and T's been able to develop his game and go on and sign with Manly." Image: Sport Vision Tags: manly sea eagles, Bega Roosters More Articles ... New website to support South Coast families Boys charged with killing kangaroos No lockdown for Bega Valley Vessels at Eden's Snug Cove to be disposed of Listen Live LIVE STREAM 2EC The South Coast's Greatest Hits OPEN PLAYER

Source: https://www.2ec.com.au/news/109587-bega-rooster-signs-with-manly-sea-eagles
News
© 2EC
He's signed to play Flegg so he is at least 2 seasons away from FG.
if he cuts the mustard. Same for Weeks.

News
© 2EC
Yep he posted the link a few posts ago in this thread as well. Looks good potentially as a future development squad player for 2023.

What is this obsession to looking outside of Manly for a backup fullback?

We already have 2. Weaks and the standout Koula.
while im not saying we need to look elsewhere I am wondering how the Urban Legends around this joint are formed?

Weaks and Koula are kids. they have only played against kids and until they earn a run In FG against men they will remain complete unknowns.

Apparently, Koula is faster than Saab? why because 2 years ago he ran 100m in xxxxx on a track and in running shoes. That doesn't make him faster than saab.... it makes him fast but until we see him score 25+ tries and run around defenders for fun in the 70th min he will never be faster than Saab.

Case in point the great Albert Hoppa. Yes he had the potential playing against kids. yes, he looked the goods. he was the GOAT version of an Urban legend and yet where is he now? put out to pasture somewhere in the ACT.

I really do hope both Weaks and Koula kill it very soon but until that have proven runs on the board it means nothing.

while im not saying we need to look elsewhere I am wondering how the Urban Legends around this joint are formed?

Weaks and Koula are kids. they have only played against kids and until they earn a run In FG against men they will remain complete unknowns.

Apparently, Koula is faster than Saab? why because 2 years ago he ran 100m in xxxxx on a track and in running shoes. That doesn't make him faster than saab.... it makes him fast but until we see him score 25+ tries and run around defenders for fun in the 70th min he will never be faster than Saab.

Case in point the great Albert Hoppa. Yes he had the potential playing against kids. yes, he looked the goods. he was the GOAT version of an Urban legend and yet where is he now? put out to pasture somewhere in the ACT.

I really do hope both Weaks and Koula kill it very soon but until that have proven runs on the board it means nothing.
Yea, I believe we need a genuine backup fullback in the top 30. Someone that has proven themselves against men.

Reuben has improved and covers full back quite well , just not sure that when he tries to inject himself in some plays that it is that effectual in many instances . Last line of defence as a one not always particularly that good as well . Great season on the wing for Manly, adequate full back cover but still could ideally come up with a better option there i think and if one can be found

Yea, I believe we need a genuine backup fullback in the top 30. Someone that has proven themselves against men.
I agree, but some young players are very talented & can quickly transition to the NRL. Fullback examples would be Campbell, Walsh & Tabuai-Fidow

Covid has severely affected the development of our young players. There has been virtually no second tier competition in NSW during in the last two years. In comparison, the second tier competition in QLD had nearly a full season in 2021 (I think) - giving more opportunities for young players to develop.

Last edited:
Reuben has improved and covers full back quite well , just not sure that when he tries to inject himself in some plays that it is that effectual in many instances . Last line of defence as a one not always particularly that good as well . Great season on the wing for Manly, adequate full back cover but still could ideally come up with a better option there i think and if one can be found
He's getting better with experience, and will soon be on a par with Robbo who got better as he filled in for Snake more and more.

I think if anyone is better than Garrick, then they are probably already playing fullback in another team. It would be rare to find a first grade quality fullback cooling his heels somewhere waiting.

He's getting better with experience, and will soon be on a par with Robbo who got better as he filled in for Snake more and more.

I think if anyone is better than Garrick, then they are probably already playing fullback in another team. It would be rare to find a first grade quality fullback cooling his heels somewhere waiting.
might come down to that especially if koula is drafted for the centres . Robbo did well there and seemed more of a natural fit there then Reuben . Bearing in mind that Reuben was mainly a centre in the lower grades before he converted to wing at Manly. Very tradesman like full back in Damon { Smith ] i think at Black Town but unlikely to be in the main squad . Reuben is O K , Harper played at one in the trials , Funa has moved on , be surprised if Weekes is tried there .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4