NZ after Matai again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Royal Soup

First Grader
http://www.zerotackle.com/nrl/warriors-make-another-play-for-matai-14928/

How is this legal before November as he his contracted for next year?

No 'Commercial In Confidence' in footy then. And clearly no rules either!

This because the November 1 restriction has been abolished and it is now a free for all

The NRL has confirmed the player market is now a free-for-all with the November 1 rule abolished
September 09, 2014 12:00AM

THE NRL’s contracting system is already a mess and it is about to get even uglier.

The NRL player market is now officially a free-for-all as the November 1 rule does not exist.

Player-agents and clubs were told in a meeting late last month that they can sign any player at any time to a new contract because the November 1 rule is a myth.

It will likely see clubs out of the finals make formal offers for stars playing in the finals this month.

Brisbane’s off-contract stars Ben Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Josh McGuire can now receive formal offers from rivals as can North Queensland’s Jason Taumalolo.

Now the November 1 rule is gone, an NRL star could sign a five-year deal one day and then another five-year deal with a rival club the day after.

Previously, NRL clubs were told not to make contact with a player until that player is in the final year of his contract starting November 1.

Paul Massey, head of the NRL’s Accredited Player Agents Scheme, told an agents conference last month that the rule did not exist.

While some managers and clubs were already flaunting the rule, they can now it do it without fear of repercussion.

The NRL confirmed to The Courier-Mail that the only rule governing the signing of a player was that clubs can’t entice a player to break an existing contract.

“Clubs are prohibited from approaching a player to switch clubs where doing so would require the player to breach his playing contract with his current club,’’ an NRL spokesman said.

“This is based on a general prohibition at law regarding inducements to breach contract.

“Clubs may, however, approach a player at any time about joining their club for the period commencing after his contract has expired.

“So, for instance, if a player is signed up until the end of the 2015 season, other clubs can express interest in signing him in 2016 but cannot seek to have them join their club in 2015.’’

The Canberra Raiders’ struggle to enforce the contracts of players who have agreed to terms is a prime example of how muddied the NRL’s contract waters are.

Now there is a free for all on signing players, expect NRL stars to sign deals years in advance of their current contract expiring.

A player would be smart to sign a future deal when they are at the peak of their powers rather than wait for an inevitable injury to lower their market price.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/the-nrl-has-confirmed-the-player-market-is-now-a-freeforall-with-the-november-1-rule-abolished/story-fniabjcr-1227051887028

Why are we surprised contracts mean nothing in rugby league any more (I argue they never did) My only hope is we are in the market talking to players already.

Does it go both ways ?
Clubs commitment is a legally binding contract.
Now it seems they can destabilize a Club by trying to poach their best Player mid contract :huh:
Manly 2014 should be a warning to all Clubs about the disruption to a season :dodgy:

As the NRL has to register all contracts, it would be simple for them to state that they will not register a new contract, without the agreement of a Player's current Club :idea:

Clubs spend so much time and money putting together TPAs etc, they must lobby for a transfer fee.
The Dogs introduced this when Barba wanted to move to Qld.

Not allowed to induce players to break contracts. Ok.

Greenberg has already written the manual for this loophole with Des. Officially offer a deal for after the contract expires but let them know that if they were to be let out of the last year of the current contract, they would be well rewarded for defecting.

We have seen the broncos play a variation this game (using family reasons) with Barba and Milford with no repercussions from the NRL.

Already we seem to be seeing this with Matai and Watmough. As with Des, Manly may be forced to make a call on a destablising influence (more so with Choc)

No point even having this rule really.

I've been anti draft for as long as I can remember but I'm starting to think it might be the only thing that can stop this garbage. The only real problem is that it would need an overhaul of everything from juniors all the way to the top and I'm certain we dont have the leadership let alone people smart enough to implement it.

I think this could spell the end for the NRL. People are already disillusioned and this contract garbage will put a nail in the coffin. Fans cant take much more of this crap.

Need to let him go if he wants out!
what mouth needs to go to Parra also!
Team needs to then rebuild. Need to keep Foran on side

Matai is close to our best every week. Whether he wants out or not.
Would be shame to see him go but if he wants out let him go.

need to bring in transfer fees like in Football.

If Warriors want Matai and hes under contract. They must pay MANLY $1million dollars for example and we can let him go now or at the end of the season. If Bulldogs came in for Stewart who has 2-3 years left on his deal then they must pay around $2million to speak to him. That way teams like Canberra who lose alot of players can at least make some money out of teams like the Roosters who poach players. Maybe the 1 or 2 million might be too high but its just an example.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4