NSW cup Trial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Lower grades should never be about results IMO. Its about getting players ready for first grade. If wins come, that's all well and good, but no point in dominating lower grades if the players fail at first grade.

Masked Eagle said:
Lower grades should never be about results IMO. Its about getting players ready for first grade. If wins come, that's all well and good, but no point in dominating lower grades if the players fail at first grade.

The last thing you want to do is create that winning culture within a club. You want a strong first grade, everything else is a waste............
Not sure if you can pick up my sarcasm

Was 1988 the last time we won the reserve grade comp? Seem to have gone okay since

Who has had the best reserve grade teams over recent times

The dogs
Souths
Panthers (i think)

Does not seem to translate into a "winning culture"

I agree with Masked Eagle 100% - look at the approach to the Toyota cup (or what ever it is called these days).

Warrios seems to be the big team year after year...how does that translate?

I see it that each first grade team is mainly a stable concept i.e. there are only a limited number of spots to plan for

Take our team - the halves are going to be stable for a number of years so what is the point in trying to build depth in the area? Rather look to build areas where you are going to be short

lsz said:
Was 1988 the last time we won the reserve grade comp? Seem to have gone okay since

Who has had the best reserve grade teams over recent times

The dogs
Souths
Panthers (i think)

Does not seem to translate into a "winning culture"

I agree with Masked Eagle 100% - look at the approach to the Toyota cup (or what ever it is called these days).

Warrios seems to be the big team year after year...how does that translate?

I see it that each first grade team is mainly a stable concept i.e. there are only a limited number of spots to plan for

Take our team - the halves are going to be stable for a number of years so what is the point in trying to build depth in the area? Rather look to build areas where you are going to be short

87 also won the club championship.
I hope the club is aiming to win all 5 grades

Strong lower grade teams promotes competition within the club.
Which means no players position is safe and must perform at the top of there game.
Also helps when players go down injured.

• 👍
Reactions: Rex
globaleagle said:
Shoe1 said:
Hey global, did you make the trip to Toronto for this game?

hahaha....I was there but I reckon once they saw it was on artificial grass with hockey and soccer markings on it....they all buggered off home!

@[Shoe1]

Look, unfortunately it got moved to another ground, that explains it.

Many games this year will be in Sydney. That's in Nova Scotia apparently.

Dan79 said:
Masked Eagle said:

The last thing you want to do is create that winning culture within a club. You want a strong first grade, everything else is a waste............

You miss the point entirely. A winning culture doesn't mean a good culture. Look at clubs like Parra & Penrith who have been dominating junior rep grades for the best part of 20-30 years, how has that worked out for them? Its no different to other sporting codes, junior/lower grade sport should be about development first. If winning comes with it, then that's all well and good but absolutely zero point if it doesn't translate into players being able to make the transition to first grade.

Look at the amount of junior rep teams that are stacked with players simply because of their size, they win games in a canter at u16s but when they progress up the chain most of them drop out.

Clubs that make development their priority will see improvement across the board and will have sustained success and being able to replenish from within. Clubs that make junior/lower grades solely about winning those comps will need to rely more often then not on purchasing from outside to have success.

Masked Eagle said:
Dan79 said:
Masked Eagle said:

You miss the point entirely. A winning culture doesn't mean a good culture. Look at clubs like Parra & Penrith who have been dominating junior rep grades for the best part of 20-30 years, how has that worked out for them? Its no different to other sporting codes, junior/lower grade sport should be about development first. If winning comes with it, then that's all well and good but absolutely zero point if it doesn't translate into players being able to make the transition to first grade.

Look at the amount of junior rep teams that are stacked with players simply because of their size, they win games in a canter at u16s but when they progress up the chain most of them drop out.

Clubs that make development their priority will see improvement across the board and will have sustained success and being able to replenish from within. Clubs that make junior/lower grades solely about winning those comps will need to rely more often then not on purchasing from outside to have success.

I'm with you ME.

A group of kids dominate at a young age and once the blowtorch is applied, many aren't equipped to deal with failure. Mentally they are easily shot and you see streams of players out of dominant junior league areas left by the wayside before they make a mark.

If a club is better prepared to not just find the physical talent, but the mental fortitude in their kids, then they are going to find a more sustainable model for success as they more up the chain.

Results may help but it is first and foremost about preparing kids and those on the fringes for the step up when their opportunities are presented.

So ME i am lost are you saying that penrith and parra are poorer first grade sides because they have strong reserve grades? Is that the holly grail? Poor reserves equals good first?
If you develop the reserves squad properly, wins should follow. Therefore hoping we have a successful year is hoping that we have the correct structures inplace. Your argument is valid for under 20s where size can dominate, but down the track they get found out. In the older grades good footballers beat poor footballers.
so winning reserve grades can help first grades. Creates competition within the whole squad. Obviously para and penrith are exceptions.
Reserve grade is just another variable in the algorithm for a successful club, don't undersell it just because we have been weak there of late and still a successful club

Hopefully one day the NRL will play NSW cup before first greade instead of the under 20's team

Dan79 said:
So ME i am lost are you saying that penrith and parra are poorer first grade sides because they have strong reserve grades? Is that the holly grail? Poor reserves equals good first?
If you develop the reserves squad properly, wins should follow. Therefore hoping we have a successful year is hoping that we have the correct structures inplace. Your argument is valid for under 20s where size can dominate, but down the track they get found out. In the older grades good footballers beat poor footballers.
so winning reserve grades can help first grades. Creates competition within the whole squad. Obviously para and penrith are exceptions.
Reserve grade is just another variable in the algorithm for a successful club, don't undersell it just because we have been weak there of late and still a successful club

His point is that there may be pros internally, but ultimately there is no correlation between the success of your reserve grade against future first grade success.

Maybe in the 'old days' you could see a connection but with players moving around constantly for opportunities in the modern era, just getting a handful of players in your system at Reserve level to consistant first-graders, is a worthy achievement.

This may help Wests Tigers u20s were defeated in the 2009 NYC Grand Final.

Three years later BRET containing many players from the 2009 NYC Grand Finalists played another Grand Final in NSW Cup.

While not instant success, it's more of a build it and they will come type thing.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6