NSW Cup 2014

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We seem to get a lot of things right in this club- except the reserve grade coach position. Terrible decision by the club if they appoint Willo again. Results & feedback from the players to management should have counted against him. Perhaps they are trying to save money by not advertising the position?

CAMBO said:
Gutherson and jake t would still be eligible for NYC aren't they.

I can see the benefit of moving jake up but not sure with Gutherson.

I agree. There will be other boys moving up. What I have seen some great Talent coming through in the 20s as well

rmd said:
Ferry Bower will probably be able to shed some light on the comings and goings of the players from last year's NSW Cup and those from the NYC who no longer qualify to play NYC.

So here's a guess at what the side may be:

Possible team
Peta Hiku
Delroy Berryman
Clinton Gutherson
Cheyse Blair
Mark O'Dare
Manaia Rudolph
Jack Littlejohn
Dylan Strickland
Michael Chee-Kam
Jesse Sene-Lefao
James Hasson/Sao/Faoso (it depends on who gets the first grade berth)
Kayne Lawton
Jake Trbojevic
Dunamis Lui
Tyson Andrews
Jayden Hodges
Josh Starling

Definitely left the club
Ben Farrar – Has retired from NRL
Jacob Gagan – Cronulla
Esi Tonga – Gone mid season
Kasey Greer - Gone to Manly Marlins RU
Nick Skinner - Gone back to Wagga Bulls
Liam Higgins – Gone to South Newcastle

Unknown
Dane Chisholm – saw him in pre season training pics
Jason Seage – Broke his temple last year and was ruled out for the season
James Cunningham
Justin Lemalu
Jackson Williams
Nathan Cooper
Ben Musolino
Dylan Hill
Joe Napolitano
Michael Chapman
Troy Savage

No longer qualify for NYC and available for NSW Cup
Matt Ikuvalu
Sam Short
Paul Tuigamala
Jamil Hopoate - saw him in some pre season training pics
Dylan Kelly
Patrick Kennedy
Daniel Vasek
Suni Fatialofa
Mitchell Manson
Suia Lapuaho

Suni Fatialofa playing for Mounties, Sam Short playing Titans, Sui Lapuaho looks like he is gone as well. Jamil playing 20s.

mosto said:
I thought Hopoate still had a year of U20's (I think he's currently 19 but not sure of DOB or what the exact cut offs for the 20's is).

Yes Hopoate doing 20s. There will probably be boys from the 20s going into NSW Cup sometime next season in Prep. for 1sts Debuts.

We will have strong sides all round I think. I believe at this point it has been another year of great recruitment by the club. Let's knock them all out Manly.

Darren said:
Hoping the club puts up the nsw, toyota cup and junior squads soon.
These Boys Will Definitely be playing Holden Cup and could play some NSW Cup through the season with a possibility some could make their Debut for 1sts as well.

Position Plays
Luke Bartley Back Rower
Latrell Schaumkel Centre

Charlie Taylor Australian Schoolboys ( 2013 ), NSW Schoolboys, Wing,
Outside Back
Will Pearsall Fiveigth
Leonati Feiloakitua Back Rower
Evan Lee Prop
Craig McMurrich Hooker
James Mireski Prop
Zach Nicholls Halfback
Michael Stig Hooker
Chris Alavanos Prop
Jack Delaney Prop
Jamil Hopoate Back Rower
Liam Knight Back Rower
Riley Travers
James Parker

There are some New Boys Trialing as well and I believe at present there is a Squad of 37 all up.

In NSW Cup Position Plays

Matt Ikuvalu Fullback
Paul Tuigamala Prop
Dylan Kelly Second Rower
Patrick Kennedy Centre
Daniel Vasek Hooker / Halves
Mitchell Manson Fullback / Wing
Peta Hiku Fullback / Wing
Delroy Berryman Winger
Clinton Gutherson Fullback
Cheyse Blair Wing / Centre
Mark O'Dare Winger
Manaia Rudolph Five-Eighth
Jack Littlejohn Centre
Dylan Strickland Back Rower
Michael Chee-Kam Back Rower
Jesse Sene-Lefao
Kayne Lawton
Jake Trbojevic
Dunamis Lui
Tyson Andrews
Jayden Hodges
Josh Starling

After Trials there will be more players added and some players could go

Obviously, I don't get to see the NSW cup side, being up here, but I would like to ask the question......Was the problem last year Willow, or just a case of not enough over all talent on hand? It seems to me that the Manly club must have faith in Willow's coaching abilities, as I'm sure there would be a plethora of people wanting a crack at the role.

In a lot of ways, it would be much harder to coach a reserves side than an NRL side. Just as it would be harder to coach an under performing side like the Eels compared to say, The Roosters.

In the NSW Cup side, as a coach, you are dealing with young blokes with a range of issues from anything between home sickness to lack of confidence etc, etc, etc. You are trying to prepare young blokes to take the next step up into the NRL, both physically and mentally. All the while, you have the pressure of trying to win games and ultimately, a competition.

I don't think I would really relish the job, the responsibility and the pressure to perform week in, week out. I think the fact that the club has faith in Willow says a lot. Also, the fact that Willow is prepared to go around again as coach says a lot about him. He must have the clubs future and the players readiness at the top of his priority list. Who knows, if he has a little more raw talent to work with this year, we might go OK.

mozgrame said:
Obviously, I don't get to see the NSW cup side, being up here, but I would like to ask the question......Was the problem last year Willow, or just a case of not enough over all talent on hand? It seems to me that the Manly club must have faith in Willow's coaching abilities, as I'm sure there would be a plethora of people wanting a crack at the role.

In a lot of ways, it would be much harder to coach a reserves side than an NRL side. Just as it would be harder to coach an under performing side like the Eels compared to say, The Roosters.

In the NSW Cup side, as a coach, you are dealing with young blokes with a range of issues from anything between home sickness to lack of confidence etc, etc, etc. You are trying to prepare young blokes to take the next step up into the NRL, both physically and mentally. All the while, you have the pressure of trying to win games and ultimately, a competition.

I don't think I would really relish the job, the responsibility and the pressure to perform week in, week out. I think the fact that the club has faith in Willow says a lot. Also, the fact that Willow is prepared to go around again as coach says a lot about him. He must have the clubs future and the players readiness at the top of his priority list. Who knows, if he has a little more raw talent to work with this year, we might go OK.

What happens is the Head Coach ( Toovey ) and the same for all the other NRL Sides, he decides on the Training and the Game Plans and this gets passed down, the Coaches follow this. So when a player suddenly gets called in to 1sts, he knows exactly what to do. I don't think Manly are Too Interested in what happens with their other Teams, which is Sad. But are Interested in Talented Players who play in these Teams, they will be the boys who go right through, just like the Cherry Evans and Forans. Manly Recruit plenty of players, they Develop them and give them a Chance, if they don't perform after that or they feel they haven't got what it takes to go on, they Cut Them.

Eagle Rock said:
Darren said:
Hoping the club puts up the nsw, toyota cup and junior squads soon.
These Boys Will Definitely be playing Holden Cup and could play some NSW Cup through the season with a possibility some could make their Debut for 1sts as well.

Position Plays
Luke Bartley Back Rower
Latrell Schaumkel Centre

Charlie Taylor Australian Schoolboys ( 2013 ), NSW Schoolboys, Wing,
Outside Back
Will Pearsall Fiveigth
Leonati Feiloakitua Back Rower
Evan Lee Prop
Craig McMurrich Hooker
James Mireski Prop
Zach Nicholls Halfback
Michael Stig Hooker
Chris Alavanos Prop
Jack Delaney Prop
Jamil Hopoate Back Rower
Liam Knight Back Rower
Riley Travers
James Parker

There are some New Boys Trialing as well and I believe at present there is a Squad of 37 all up.

In NSW Cup Position Plays

Matt Ikuvalu Fullback
Paul Tuigamala Prop
Dylan Kelly Second Rower
Patrick Kennedy Centre
Daniel Vasek Hooker / Halves
Mitchell Manson Fullback / Wing
Peta Hiku Fullback / Wing
Delroy Berryman Winger
Clinton Gutherson Fullback
Cheyse Blair Wing / Centre
Mark O'Dare Winger
Manaia Rudolph Five-Eighth
Jack Littlejohn Centre
Dylan Strickland Back Rower
Michael Chee-Kam Back Rower
Jesse Sene-Lefao
Kayne Lawton
Jake Trbojevic
Dunamis Lui
Tyson Andrews
Jayden Hodges
Josh Starling

After Trials there will be more players added and some players could go

My Feeling is Faoso will get the 1st grade berth

A good coach is a motivator. A psychologist of sorts. He needs to be able to instil confidence and self belief into his players. He needs to be able to identify and nurture his individual players strengths, and help them eradicate any perceived weaknesses.

A good coach will have the best support team available, and will trust the trainers, physio, doctors etc to all work together for the good of the individual player, and the team as a whole. He should have all these bases covered and have his finger on the pulse at all times.

Game plans and training are not his number one priority.

mozgrame said:
A good coach is a motivator. A psychologist of sorts. He needs to be able to instil confidence and self belief into his players. He needs to be able to identify and nurture his individual players strengths, and help them eradicate any perceived weaknesses.

A good coach will have the best support team available, and will trust the trainers, physio, doctors etc to all work together for the good of the individual player, and the team as a whole. He should have all these bases covered and have his finger on the pulse at all times.

I agree in your comments about what is a Good Coach is and that is fine for Park Footy, but the Coaches in the Top of NRL Teams Decide on the Training's eg. The Moves, what they are doing etc. and it is passed down to the other Coaches of the Grades and they are told what the game plan will be. If you Notice, all Manly's Junior Teams through to NSW Cup, they all follow the same moves. Manly Attack mainly on the Right and its the same for the other grades as well. These Other Coaches have to follow these Instructions, if they want to Coach at that club. It does help the Coach though, if you have Talented Players in Key Positions.

Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

I agree in your comments about what is a Good Coach is and that is fine for Park Footy, but the Coaches in the Top of NRL Teams Decide on the Training's eg. The Moves, what they are doing etc. and it is passed down to the other Coaches of the Grades and they are told what the game plan will be. If you Notice, all Manly's Junior Teams through to NSW Cup, they all follow the same moves. Manly Attack mainly on the Right and its the same for the other grades as well. These Other Coaches have to follow these Instructions, if they want to Coach at that club. It does help the Coach though, if you have Talented Players in Key Positions.

So...If he didn't have the talented players in key positions, and Williamson can only have his team perform as directed by Toovey, how can he wear any blame, or be accused of being a bad coach if they underperform? (I'm not saying you say this ER)

What I said before, in the post you responded to was in direct relation to Willow. If Toovey is calling all the shots from above, then Willow's main role should be the first two paragraphs of my previous post.

The third and final line "Game plans and training are not his number one priority", is also in relation to Williamson, if he is simply following instructions on how to run his team.

I think Willow should be judged on how his players are progressing physically and mentally, not by his win/loss ratio.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. :-/ Just out of interest.....you're not TC are you?? :p

mozgrame said:
Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

So...If he didn't have the talented players in key positions, and Williamson can only have his team perform as directed by Toovey, how can he wear any blame, or be accused of being a bad coach if they underperform? (I'm not saying you say this ER)

What I said before, in the post you responded to was in direct relation to Willow. If Toovey is calling all the shots from above, then Willow's main role should be the first two paragraphs of my previous post.

The third and final line "Game plans and training are not his number one priority", is also in relation to Williamson, if he is simply following instructions on how to run his team.

I think Willow should be judged on how his players are progressing physically and mentally, not by his win/loss ratio.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused. :-/ Just out of interest.....you're not TC are you?? :p

I think its how he uses his players, for example if you had 3 Five eighths in the team, you would play your best one in that position and you would not play boys out of position. I saw a few times where he had a Big Second Rower playing Five Eighth. I couldn't believe it, when there were a couple of players in the team that play in that position.

Well that sounds familiar. Although not a giant, Willow played a bit of 5/8 himself. lol

I wish I could see more of our juniors. Is this a common occurrence within the team, or did he make the mistake of thinking muscle can beat brains in a one off game here and there?

It's bloody hard to judge or try to interpret the why's and how's from where we sit as fans. Des used to drive me wild sometimes when the team looked busted, yet a fresh player sat on the bench looking on.

mozgrame said:
Well that sounds familiar. Although not a giant, Willow played a bit of 5/8 himself. lol

I wish I could see more of our juniors. Is this a common occurrence within the team, or did he make the mistake of thinking muscle can beat brains in a one off game?

It's bloody hard to judge or try to interpret the why's and how's from where we sit as fans. Des used to drive me wild sometimes when the team looked busted, yet a fresh player sat on the bench looking on.
He played as Lock as well. He was a bit of a Work Horse in his playing days. I watched a bit of NSW Cup and like to watch the 20s as well to see who is coming through. What I have noticed is Manly are struggling in the Halves in all the Grades coming through, there are No Standouts. Which is a concern. I worry about Manly keeping the 2 Great Halves we have in Evans and Foran long term.

Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

I wish I could see more of our juniors. Is this a common occurrence within the team, or did he make the mistake of thinking muscle can beat brains in a one off game?

He played as Lock as well. He was a bit of a Work Horse in his playing days. I watched a bit of NSW Cup and like to watch the 20s as well to see who is coming through. What I have noticed is Manly are struggling in the Halves in all the Grades coming through, there are No Standouts. Which is a concern. I worry about Manly keeping the 2 Great Halves we have in Evans and Foran long term.

I think he played in the centres too on the odd occasion. I may be one of the few, but I like a player of his type. The flashy try scoring blokes are great, but you need those players who continuously clean up around the ruck. There was never much of an opportunity to sneak through our middle when Willow and Beaver were there.

Is there an all round shortage of quality young halves in NSW?

Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

I have noticed quite a few times he has been playing players out of position, that won't help you win games. You have your Top Key Positional Players, Just like our 1st grade side, in Evans and Foran in Halves, Brett Stewart Fullback, Ballin Hooker and then place your best players around these in their proper positions. The Storm, they have top Key Positional Players as well and do so well.

mozgrame said:
Eagle Rock said:
mozgrame said:

I think he played in the centres too on the odd occasion. I may be one of the few, but I like a player of his type. The flashy try scoring blokes are great, but you need those players who continuously clean up around the ruck. There was never much of an opportunity to sneak through our middle when Willow and Beaver were there.

Is there an all round shortage of quality young halves in NSW?
Most of your Talented Halves get Snapped up Quickly by other Clubs and get signed up on long term contracts. Maybe there are some talented 9 and 10s in Rugby that can switch over and Manly can grab. Would love to have the Young Tiger's Halves at our club.

I think a lot of your comments here regarding Manly's approach to NSW Cup are not taking into consideration that the club really did not want to participate in NSW Cup but were threatened with the exclusion of junior teams (NYC, SG Ball and Harold Matthews) in the NSW competition if they didn't comply.

The ideal situation for Manly was its affiliation with the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles where those that did not make First Grade from the squad played with local players and ended up winning the competition with guys like DCE, T-Rex, Lussick etc all playing in a stronger 2nd tier competition. Canberra and Melbourne also had the same line of thinking at the time but were also threatened and like Manly, complied.

So, basically Manly has a team they don't really want and hence the focus is probably less than it could be and the results reflect that, as do the comings and goings from the squad each year.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6