NRL's (no) Integrity Unit clears Canterbury and Greenscum

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Reading between the lines I dont think Greenburg did anything wrong , if she came to him and admitted their were problems and knew her admissions were fatal to their family and didnt want to press charges ( even though by that stage he had enough of Barba and wanted to tear up his contract ) he I think handled the delicate situation very well . Pulled him out of the game , shipped him off to rehab , had his wages deposited straight into her bank account and called a press conference . Had she had pressed charges its a completely different ending . I dont think most ceo's would have handled it much differently . My info is that Des stepped in to back his player . One wonders if the Canterbury season changes if Barba is marched in March as it appears to have jinxed their whole season .

CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
Once again mate you are convicting him based on newspaper reports

So how did that girl her face messed up. The old tripped and hit a door knob hey?

Other than the telegraph saying it was her and Barba did that, we have zero evidence

Not enough for me

Agree with you at this stage KE. Cam, remember Brett's case and how wrong the media and certain people were. I remember a guy at school saying Brett would get 5 years jail and that this wasn't the first time he had done this!!! :mad::mad::idea:
Innocent until proven guilty, until we know all the facts.

If it was anyone other than Barba that gave her the bloody lip she would have pressed charges. Plus why contact the club to help him if he hadn't done anything wrong.
It's there for all to see.

As for Greenturd, cleared of any legal wrong doing but morally and ethically guilty. A tarnished reputation now that I think makes his new role laughable.

Pablo said:
As for Greenturd, cleared of any legal wrong doing but morally and ethically guilty. A tarnished reputation now that I think makes his new role laughable.

Well said.

I'm not saying Greenturd is guilty or not-guilty of covering up anything. I don't have all the facts and am not going to hear half a story and make up the rest. But I have my own opinion on it, and of the Integrity Unit's investigation and ruling.

Kiwi Eagle said:
CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

So how did that girl her face messed up. The old tripped and hit a door knob hey?

Other than the telegraph saying it was her and Barba did that, we have zero evidence

Not enough for me
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-canterbury-bulldogs-superstar-ben-barba-missing-in-action-at-rehabilitation-sessions/story-fni3g67w-1226724416472

SHAMED Bulldogs star Ben Barba walked out on the only professional counselling session he attended despite agreeing to a "strict" 12-month rehabilitation program sparked by allegations he punched his former partner in the face.

Club sources said the team failed to act on Barba’s refusal to continue the sessions despite CEO Todd Greenberg publicly declaring the star fullback would "absolutely" be stood down if he failed to complete the full-time rehabilitation program at the South Pacific Rehab Hospital.

The NRL was forced to launch an independent investigation into Greenberg and the club’s handling of the Barba assault allegations after The Sunday Telegraph revealed Barba’s partner went to Mr Greenberg and coach Des Hasler on February 24, claiming she was assaulted.

Yesterday, Mr Greenberg and the Bulldogs were cleared of any wrongdoing by the independent investigation. An NRL statement said the report prepared by Tony Bannon SC "found that based on the facts at hand the club was not in a position to establish an act of domestic violence".

Mr Bannon said: "On present information there is no basis for the NRL acting against the club or against Ben Barba."

Ben Barba limps off in his last game for the Bulldogs. Picture: Gregg Porteous
However, the NRL’s statement does not address the assault allegations. An investigator rang The Sunday Telegraph during the course of the investigation to say they were not looking into whether an assault had taken place, just whether the club had acted appropriately.

After the assault allegations were made on February 24, Mr Greenberg contacted a domestic violence counselling service before deciding not to tell the NRL about the incident.

The club stood Barba down for alcohol and gambling issues and then booked him into the northern beaches medical institution for a four-week program.

However, Barba checked himself out on Wednesday, May 13, to attend a pre-booked driver’s licence test at the Miranda Roads and Traffic Authority. A Sunday Telegraph investigation can also reveal the full details of the club’s failed bid to rehabilitate the fallen star.

Canterbury's Ben Barba with his daughters Bodhi and Bronte after finishing his career at the Bulldogs with an injury. Picture: Phil Hillyard
At the club’s request, Barba subsequently agreed to attend the facility every Wednesday to be counselled on domestic violence and the other issues. But he failed to complete a single session, walking out of the facility during a coffee break on March 20 and never returning.

A well-placed source has confirmed Barba was dropped off at the facility by a friend for the session which was scheduled to begin at 5.30pm and finish at 10pm. But Barba left about 8pm and told the friend he never intended to return because the counselling was a waste of time and he needed to play football.

Barba resumed full-time training with the squad earlier that week and made a return the following Friday. Despite Mr Greenberg’s declaration that Barba’s counselling would be enforced, the club gave Barba permission to skip his next scheduled counselling session because he needed to train with the side on the Wednesday ahead of his comeback two days later.

The club subsequently agreed that Barba did not have time to travel from his Cronulla home to the northern beaches facility because of his footballing commitments and began searching for a Sutherland Shire service to continue his rehabilitation.

Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba injures his ankle and leaves the field during the Canterbury vs Newcastle game at ANZ Stadium. Picture: Gregg Porteous
No such medical counsellor was found and Barba only attended two Bulldogs-run mediation sessions with former partner Ainslie Currie. Ms Currie would not be interviewed by the investigator but her lawyer repeated her earlier public denials that an assault ever took place.

Well-placed sources allege the Bulldogs reluctantly gave up on their attempts to coerce Barba to continue rehabilitation with medical professionals, instead planning an exit strategy that ultimately resulted in Barba being released from the final two years of his contract to join the Brisbane Broncos.

ok KE and Darren a bit about the author of this Article. James Phelps is a Bulldogs tragic his brother Cameron even played first grade for them. Why would he write lies about the club. Look at that photo and tell me nothing happened

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5
With Cambo all the way on this one. Remember the sharks vs NZ girl KE? We all crucified Matty, but I know you said that if we knew the girl and her rep, we'd think differently. Well, I know the Barba's and have some very good inside info on this. Ben is a **** and the Bulldogs club is a farce. I don't know why Des didn't do a Ricky and head to Brisbane. I'd have been out of there like a shot.

CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Not enough for me
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/former-canterbury-bulldogs-superstar-ben-barba-missing-in-action-at-rehabilitation-sessions/story-fni3g67w-1226724416472

SHAMED Bulldogs star Ben Barba walked out on the only professional counselling session he attended despite agreeing to a "strict" 12-month rehabilitation program sparked by allegations he punched his former partner in the face.

Club sources said the team failed to act on Barba’s refusal to continue the sessions despite CEO Todd Greenberg publicly declaring the star fullback would "absolutely" be stood down if he failed to complete the full-time rehabilitation program at the South Pacific Rehab Hospital.

The NRL was forced to launch an independent investigation into Greenberg and the club’s handling of the Barba assault allegations after The Sunday Telegraph revealed Barba’s partner went to Mr Greenberg and coach Des Hasler on February 24, claiming she was assaulted.

Yesterday, Mr Greenberg and the Bulldogs were cleared of any wrongdoing by the independent investigation. An NRL statement said the report prepared by Tony Bannon SC "found that based on the facts at hand the club was not in a position to establish an act of domestic violence".

Mr Bannon said: "On present information there is no basis for the NRL acting against the club or against Ben Barba."

However, the NRL’s statement does not address the assault allegations. An investigator rang The Sunday Telegraph during the course of the investigation to say they were not looking into whether an assault had taken place, just whether the club had acted appropriately.

After the assault allegations were made on February 24, Mr Greenberg contacted a domestic violence counselling service before deciding not to tell the NRL about the incident.

The club stood Barba down for alcohol and gambling issues and then booked him into the northern beaches medical institution for a four-week program.

However, Barba checked himself out on Wednesday, May 13, to attend a pre-booked driver’s licence test at the Miranda Roads and Traffic Authority. A Sunday Telegraph investigation can also reveal the full details of the club’s failed bid to rehabilitate the fallen star.

Canterbury's Ben Barba with his daughters Bodhi and Bronte after finishing his career at the Bulldogs with an injury. Picture: Phil Hillyard
At the club’s request, Barba subsequently agreed to attend the facility every Wednesday to be counselled on domestic violence and the other issues. But he failed to complete a single session, walking out of the facility during a coffee break on March 20 and never returning.

A well-placed source has confirmed Barba was dropped off at the facility by a friend for the session which was scheduled to begin at 5.30pm and finish at 10pm. But Barba left about 8pm and told the friend he never intended to return because the counselling was a waste of time and he needed to play football.

Barba resumed full-time training with the squad earlier that week and made a return the following Friday. Despite Mr Greenberg’s declaration that Barba’s counselling would be enforced, the club gave Barba permission to skip his next scheduled counselling session because he needed to train with the side on the Wednesday ahead of his comeback two days later.

The club subsequently agreed that Barba did not have time to travel from his Cronulla home to the northern beaches facility because of his footballing commitments and began searching for a Sutherland Shire service to continue his rehabilitation.

Bulldogs fullback Ben Barba injures his ankle and leaves the field during the Canterbury vs Newcastle game at ANZ Stadium. Picture: Gregg Porteous
No such medical counsellor was found and Barba only attended two Bulldogs-run mediation sessions with former partner Ainslie Currie. Ms Currie would not be interviewed by the investigator but her lawyer repeated her earlier public denials that an assault ever took place.

Well-placed sources allege the Bulldogs reluctantly gave up on their attempts to coerce Barba to continue rehabilitation with medical professionals, instead planning an exit strategy that ultimately resulted in Barba being released from the final two years of his contract to join the Brisbane Broncos.

ok KE and Darren a bit about the author of this Article. James Phelps is a Bulldogs tragic his brother Cameron even played first grade for them. Why would he write lies about the club. Look at that photo and tell me nothing happened

Once again, that photo could be of anyone, and that picture proves absolutely nothing in regards to Barba being the one that inflicted those wounds

Don't care who the author is personally, I won't convict a guy based on a newspaper article, if I did that I would think all sorts of things about Stewart and all the witnessss the telegraph had to his crime. How about all the stuff the tele write about Manly as well, guess that must be the truth as well ?

My view won't be changing on that so I will leave it there.

Did you guys see Mascord's article in fairfax? He seems to have had a gutfull. The NRL's no action over the Bulldogs/Barba thing is one of the reasons he has come up with the below headline..

''Why I can no longer tolerate league’s lies''

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/why-i-can-no-longer-tolerate-leagues-lies-20130921-2u6xf.html

I have to agree with KE. That photo proves nothing without corroborating evidence or the victims sworn statement of what happened. She could have split her lip any number of ways, but if she is on the public record NUMEROUS times clearly stating that domestic violence was not an issue in her relationship with Barba, then what are the club and/or the police supposed to do ?

I'd be interested in what everyone thought of the Ben Teo case ?? there we had a photo of a black eye AND a claim by the victim that she was assualted, yet a police investigation cleared him !! There is always more to the story, and unless you were there, or had first hand knowledge of the situation I think it is a dangerous practice to make assumptions on what you read in the paper, unless it is a factual account of the evidence presented in a court of law. (It goes without saying that I am not condoning violence against women in any way, shape or form, just trying to keep some perspective)

What I do have a massive issue with is the follow up report shown above that proves the club basically treated Barba's counselling as a joke. Think back to Greenburgs press conference on this issue, how concerned they were for Ben's "welfare" and how we were asked to give "understanding and support" as they assisted Ben in getting the "help" he needed.

Watch this

http://www.bulldogs.com.au/news-display/Todd%20Greenberg%20Press%20Conference/68909

and then tell me that this is nothing more than PR spin and a cover up. They had no intention of getting Barba any help, nor does it seem Barba really wanted any. This is just a clasic sweep it under the carpet job and Greenburg is holding the broom. Hasler must also be accountable on some level if he agreed to allow Barba to play, presuming he is the one who drives the "culture" of the team and sets the standards.

The NRL integrity commission has failed it's first big test. This whole affair stinks and I can't see how Greenburg can hold any position of authority at the NRL in light of the revelations about how poorly this matter has been handled.

Kiwi Eagle said:
CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:
CAMBO said:
Kiwi Eagle said:

Not enough for me

Once again, that photo could be of anyone, and that picture proves absolutely nothing in regards to Barba being the one that inflicted those wounds

Don't care who the author is personally, I won't convict a guy based on a newspaper article, if I did that I would think all sorts of things about Stewart and all the witnessss the telegraph had to his crime. How about all the stuff the tele write about Manly as well, guess that must be the truth as well ?

My view won't be changing on that so I will leave it there.
Mate it's Ainsley Currie go google the dally m photo and look at the exactly location of the piercing and the shape of the chin.

Read the story about Chris "Birdman" Andersen from the NBA and what he's recently gone through. If people hadn't changed their minds about what they believe is in the papers after what happened to Snake, the Birdmans story should definitely have people not so quick to judge.

Mascord in todays SMH

1. Exonerated without an investigation?

More questions ...
Some questions regarding Saturday's NRL media release on the investigation into Todd Greenberg's handling of the Ben Barba affair: One of the people interviewed as part of the probe, a reporter, says he was told by the SC's assistant the alleged incident itself was not being investigated. If this is true, how can one investigate a cover-up without determining if there was something to cover up in the first place? And how can a person who was not investigated be exonerated in the subsequent press release? Given that the release said there would be ''no further comment'', I guess we'll never know. You might be wondering why this column is appearing, given the one that appeared in yesterday's Sun-Herald. I've only stepped away from chasing news, because I can't see the point under current conditions. I'm still hoping someone wants me to cover games and write columns and features. So far, so good. Fingers crossed.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/exonerated-without-an-investigation-20130922-2u837.html#ixzz2fgpAm0vd

The whole saga stinks of cover up. The appointment of Greenberg to the NRL is disgraceful and for him to happily hand out penalties and fines to coaches for stating the obvious is laughable. I wonder if it was Hasler and not Toovey would a $10,000 fine have been given.

Whether or not Barber or Greenberg did anything wrong, I don't think the NRL has done itself any favours with the way it announced the findings.

I won't second-guess the findings of Bannon. However, why couldn't the terms of reference of the inquiry have been made public?

The official release instead simply includes this: "Bannon found that based on the facts at hand the club was not in a position to establish an act of domestic violence."

Does that mean no club has to report anything to the NRL unless the player either admits an offence or has been found guilty by a court??

Is that the only time clubs are required to inform the NRL?

However, if this is the limit of the clubs' obligations, doesn't that still leave it open for many incidents to be kept hushed up? All it needs is an alleged victim to decide (for whatever reason) not to proceed with their complaint. Or am I missing something here?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2