NRL to expand to a 20 team comp ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
When will the bears realise no other team wants to be associated with them. They have tried to leech on to a number of teams to no avail. Can’t they just get the message and fade off into obscurity PLEASE

Concern over the quality of the playing pool? Yes
Do I care? Maybe not. Enjoying watching the NSW State Cup and juniors more each season. Go to 20 teams, everyone plays each other once. Have 2 teams on a bye each week if need be to stretch the season out and bring back Monday night footy, although not a fan of it but it gives footy the spotlight 5 days a week.
Imagine having 2 games on at the same time, brings back memories being at a game and the scoreboard updates the other ground results.
The possibilites are endless. Oh, can we forget about the Bears? What do they bring to the table? Promised money? History which you can't relate to? Gone since 2000, not even a team of this century!

If and when this happens teams should play each other only once in the regular season.
Alternate every year for the home and away.
None of this rubbish playing some teams twice.

I like the idea of Perth, Adelaide (works well with TV) and one of the Pacific Islands.

During the state of origin have no games so teams aren't disadvantage from losing players and would also keep the season a similar length to now keeping broadcasters happy.

If 20 teams, I wouldn't mind going to a two tier structure with promotion/demotion each season. Adds some interest for teams at the bottom end of the table (tier one) and top of the table (tier 2) near season's end. It also allows every team to play each other twice during the regular season... and I like the idea of mixing up the competing team pool each season.

Concern over the quality of the playing pool? Yes
Do I care? Maybe not. Enjoying watching the NSW State Cup and juniors more each season. Go to 20 teams, everyone plays each other once. Have 2 teams on a bye each week if need be to stretch the season out and bring back Monday night footy, although not a fan of it but it gives footy the spotlight 5 days a week.
Imagine having 2 games on at the same time, brings back memories being at a game and the scoreboard updates the other ground results.
The possibilites are endless. Oh, can we forget about the Bears? What do they bring to the table? Promised money? History which you can't relate to? Gone since 2000, not even a team of this century!

With 16 teams now is 8 games a week for 25 weeks = 200 games

If 20 teams playing each other once ... 10 games a week for 19 weeks = 190 games

... a big drop and a bigger drop in TV revenue ... so that won't happen ...

Ridiculous if you ask me. I'm still against the 17th team being allowed in the NRL. If the game expands at that rate where exactly will the 1st grade standard players, coaches, sponsorship dollars all come from? Also how many rounds would the season go for?

This is just blind revenue raising without thinking about the grass root fundamentals of attracting kids to the game. More teams more money from broadcasters wow business genius.

There's enough talent out there. It's just if we can mount enough of a business case.

I've never understood the hatred here for the bears. If they get back in good on them. It's great to have rivalries.

This is just blind revenue raising without thinking about the grass root fundamentals of attracting kids to the game. More teams more money from broadcasters wow business genius.

It's the opposite ... more teams .. more local school visits and junior funding ... more pathway programs ...

And it defeats China in the Pacific ....

1 more team and pacifika is a must, and a big NO to the bears.
It has to be a representation of the Pacific people's, ideally I'd prefer a 100% PNG team.

I like the concept but in practice I dont see a pacific team working.

I think the NRL would be better mandating the every club has to take one home game to one of PNG, Tonga, Samoa or Fiji. Complete with the associated community out reach.

That is 4-5 games a year in each

Even if it was every 2 years. So 2-3 games a year

It’s all about money!

AFL is played widely in each state throughout Australia, maybe not so much in NSW and QLD.

The AFL has:
Two teams in WA
Two teams in SA
Two teams in QLD
Two teams in NSW
A bucketload in Victoria
A new team in Tasmania
They will have one in NT, in the not so distant future and, ACT may also be an option for them.

NRL has NSW, VIC, QLD and one in NZ.

This is ‘pipe dream’ stuff, as we do not have the junior pathways in place! Mum’s do not want their kids playing against Pacifica kids, who are so much bigger.

The main thing the NRL needs to do is rigidly institute a weight for age programme for the juniors. Maybe they have, however, I am unaware of it.

We need to expand in our own country before considering another team in NZ or the Pacific Islands.

Perth & Adelaide are necessary. The 20th team could be another Queensland team?
I don't see Tasmania or the NT working for league.

It’s all about money!

AFL is played widely in each state throughout Australia, maybe not so much in NSW and QLD.

The AFL has:
Two teams in WA
Two teams in SA
Two teams in QLD
Two teams in NSW
A bucketload in Victoria
A new team in Tasmania
They will have one in NT, in the not so distant future and, ACT may also be an option for them.

NRL has NSW, VIC, QLD and one in NZ.

This is ‘pipe dream’ stuff, as we do not have the junior pathways in place! Mum’s do not want their kids playing against Pacifica kids, who are so much bigger.

The main thing the NRL needs to do is rigidly institute a weight for age programme for the juniors. Maybe they have, however, I am unaware of it.
The AFL have used a much better roots development systems across the country than the league for decades now. Even as a kid growing up in Sydney in the 80’s there were local kids AFL competitions. I doubt even today that the league has local junior competitions across all states. From what I understand we are miles behind in this department.

I've never understood the hatred here for the bears. If they get back in good on them. It's great to have rivalries.

Two things 1) You must not have been paying attention .. and 2) A team that hasn't won a trophy since 1923 ... is not a rival .. @:D

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2