NRL Team of the Decade - What a joke!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
wow!
big T-Rex tony williams on the bench!
must have been from the 2011 season

p.s. i know it isn't him, but how many others looked twice after seeing 'williams' listed
Weird putting wolfman on the bench, he should have been in 2 or 5.

The omission of both Glenn Stewart and Jamie Lyon makes the whole thing laughable.

Especially when you consider that Justin Hodges and Boyd Cordner DID get selected.

I honestly get the feeling that as far as this team is concerned.....Killer paid the price with the selectors for choosing Manly over NSW and Australia from 2011.

I've never got the Boyd Cordner thing. Sure he's a pretty tough footballer and runs the hard holes, but really there's not much else in his arsenal. Not sure he makes my backrow of the decade

Apparently he is a great leader.

Just like Julius Caesar i guess.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/19...de-panel-of-legends-to-decide-2010s-greatest/

How anyone could put Ingles and Hodges ahead of Lyon is beyond me! Sure I'd expect those muppets from the North to do this (knowing full well how wrong they were) but it looks like almost everyone has given him a snub because of his rep retirement (I can't think of anything else).

Jamie Lyon:
Dally M Centre Of The Year
2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
RLIF Centre Of The Year
2011, 2012, 2013

Justin Hodges
Dally M Centre Of The Year

Disgraceful!

Also, if Sonny Bill makes the official list I will vomit (into a bag and send it to NRL HQ)
Agreed on Lyon. Was the best centre in the decade by a mile. But SBW was a gun. Had such an impact on the Roosters that he carried them to a premiership and they're still a force to this day. Also changed how second rowers play the game today.

Agreed on Lyon. Was the best centre in the decade by a mile. But SBW was a gun. Had such an impact on the Roosters that he carried them to a premiership and they're still a force to this day. Also changed how second rowers play the game today.
My concern is the club of "experts" appointed by the NRL which appears to be developing and are consistently voting in the same block.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/22/should-sbw-have-been-picked-in-the-team-of-the-decade/
While I agree with your post - he only played 2 seasons and in a stacked team. So do you take only the best season from all players or their overall contribution over the decade - it feels like either/or, depending on which player the "expert" wanted to pick.
Then there is the fact that he walked out on RL (again) once he had achieved what he wanted - while Lyon gets snubbed for not playing rep football.

My concern is the club of "experts" appointed by the NRL which appears to be developing and are consistently voting in the same block.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/22/should-sbw-have-been-picked-in-the-team-of-the-decade/
While I agree with your post - he only played 2 seasons and in a stacked team. So do you take only the best season from all players or their overall contribution over the decade - it feels like either/or, depending on which player the "expert" wanted to pick.
Then there is the fact that he walked out on RL (again) once he had achieved what he wanted - while Lyon gets snubbed for not playing rep football.
Yeah, there's no consistency in criteria for selections while the majority of the "experts" are just picking who they've worked most closely with, hence the lack of Manly players in the majority of those teams. Even with SBW though, he walked out of RL after 2 years and did play in a team that already had some talent but his selection is IMO, more of a testament to his impact and ability than bias.

I don't buy the crap about SBW changing how second rowers played the game. Beaver was doing the same thing 15 years before anyone had heard of Williams. And before Beaver was Bradley Clyde. And before Clyde was Crusher. They were the ones who changed back rowers from basically being extra props to the wide running, ball playing, try scoring players they have become today.

I don't buy the crap about SBW changing how second rowers played the game. Beaver was doing the same thing 15 years before anyone had heard of Williams.

Agree ... and just wait a couple of years until Turbo goes into his natural position in the back row ... he will revolutionise the position again .... Beaver on speed and steroids ...

I don't buy the crap about SBW changing how second rowers played the game. Beaver was doing the same thing 15 years before anyone had heard of Williams. And before Beaver was Bradley Clyde. And before Clyde was Crusher. They were the ones who changed back rowers from basically being extra props to the wide running, ball playing, try scoring players they have become today.
Good point. Also who gets the credit? The player or the coach or is it really just a combination of multiple factors? In SBW's case he had the best team in the comp behind him and he was a known loose cannon - obviously a coach is going to structure the team so his talents can be exploited.
On that note, looks like everyone is getting (imo: a bit too) excited about Haas (and also Ponga but that's another thing)
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/22/player-of-the-2020s-nrl.com-experts-have-their-say/
No doubt he is a great player but are the Broncos putting everything into him because that's all they've got right now? More importantly will he manage to keep his intensity up year after year?

Good point. Also who gets the credit? The player or the coach or is it really just a combination of multiple factors? In SBW's case he had the best team in the comp behind him and he was a known loose cannon - obviously a coach is going to structure the team so his talents can be exploited.
On that note, looks like everyone is getting (imo: a bit too) excited about Haas (and also Ponga but that's another thing)
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/08/22/player-of-the-2020s-nrl.com-experts-have-their-say/
No doubt he is a great player but are the Broncos putting everything into him because that's all they've got right now? More importantly will he manage to keep his intensity up year after year?

I would say its a combination of player and coach. Bozo recognised that Crusher could do the same blockbusting runs in the back row as he could do in the centres, plus it allowed him to play faster, more natural ball players in the centres. He also recognised that Beaver had the speed of a centre and was best used as a wide running player rather than an in-close workhorse. Tim Sheens also did basically the same thing with Clyde at Canberra.

Bob McCarthy and Phil Lowe were wide running second rowers before Crusher etc. I used to love watching Phil Lowe tear opponents apart out wide.

Ok.....I'm about to lose my proverbial. Jamie Lyon I will state here is my favorite all-time player, so I'm as biased as.

In a one-off game I will concede Inglis is the more damaging of the two. Inglis big game ability was excellent, Origins, GF's etc. He could and did tear teams apart. Plenty of 10s thrown in there, but plenty of games where he gave a 1 or 2 also and you didn't know he was on the field.

Hodges......in no way was he a bonafide match winner, and I would say he gave you an average 6 out of 10 most games. Rarely played a stinker (ok that Origin game), but just solid....

Killer's worst games were 7s. He was 8 out of 10 week after week after week. And with the odd 9 or 10 thrown in (I will concede not probably as many as Inglis), But Jamie's average would be around 7.8 or 7.9.

As others have said....he's paid the price for non-rep. But also why I love Jamie Lyon....he wouldn't give a flying f about this either!!

Bob McCarthy and Phil Lowe were wide running second rowers before Crusher etc. I used to love watching Phil Lowe tear opponents apart out wide.

Les Boyd also when he played second row.

Seriously, anyone who thinks that SBW changed the way back rowers play the game is either having a lend or really doesn't know much about rugby league history.

Yeah, there's no consistency in criteria for selections while the majority of the "experts" are just picking who they've worked most closely with, hence the lack of Manly players in the majority of those teams. Even with SBW though, he walked out of RL after 2 years and did play in a team that already had some talent but his selection is IMO, more of a testament to his impact and ability than bias.

Would you give someone a Dally M award if they played 5 games in a 25 game season? because it is exactly the same. Its a joke.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4