NRL Sydney 1st week finals to be relocated

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
NRL Sydney 1st week finals to be relocated

The National Rugby League Chairmen and Chief Executives have today agreed that week one finals hosted by Sydney teams should be moved from ’home venues’ to either the Sydney Football Stadium or ANZ Stadium.

The decision brings week one venue allocations with the current ‘home city’ system that applies in week two of the Finals.

Clubs supported the move at the NRL Annual Conference on the basis that fans would know at the start of each season where they could expect to be playing should they make the finals.

“A big part of the growth in membership in the game has been the need for members to be assured of the chance to get the best seats at the big games at the end of each year,” NRL Chief Executive Mr David Gallop said today.

“The commitment we have made to them all along is that we will not move matches at the last minute and this move allows them to buy their membership packages knowing what to expect.

“Importantly, the move will allow ‘away’ team members greater opportunity and will be able to better accommodate those clubs that have memberships spread across multiple venues.”

http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsart...z/default.aspx

Kinda makes sense but is a huge advantage for teams like Canberra, Newcastle and the Gold Coast. Much easier to play Manly at ANZ rather than at Brookie.

A cash grab by the NRL. They pocket all the cash from the final series.

I think a team that finished top four deserves some reward, and a home semi is it, even if opposition fans can't get into the ground.

Also, as stated earlier, the out-of-town clubs gain an advantage.

What a load of rubbish.

They made a big thing of it when it was introduced, now they take it away.

That Kogarah crowd would've looked pretty bad at the SFS & even worse at Homebush. The big stadiums are trying to compete with channel nein over who runs the game.

That's crap. I see their point but what's the point of aiming for the top 4 now? Other than the possibility for the week off (which you can get at 5th and 6th anyways) what's the point if you end up getting St George in the final (as an example). You would be playing at the SFS either way.

Jono link said:
That's crap. I see their point but what's the point of aiming for the top 4 now? Other than the possibility for the week off (which you can get at 5th and 6th anyways) what's the point if you end up getting St George in the final (as an example). You would be playing at the SFS either way.

What about this Manly finishes in the top 4 and have to play Roosters in the finals @ SFS where the Roosters 'home' ground is. Or this one Manly has to play Canterbury and has to play at ANZ same problem.

At first I thought this was a great thing but then I had a thought. I went to the Chooks v Panthers at SFS Final to see who would make the grand final and I think it was 17,000. It can have a poor effect of making one of the most important games of the year look empty

They need to restructure the finals to maintain an advantage for top 4.
1st vs 4th
2nd vs 3rd

Winners get a week off, losers play second week.
If you finish in the bottom half of the 8 the best you can hope for is to play second week.

They should also convert some of that extra cash into NRL funded supporter buses to get fans from their leagues clubs to the game. Increases crowd numbers whilst ensuring that fringe sydney club fans dont miss out. Make the buses "members only" and youve got yourself a pretty tidy benefit for membership.

jwaa link said:
They need to restructure the finals to maintain an advantage for top 4.
1st vs 4th
2nd vs 3rd

Winners get a week off, losers play second week.
If you finish in the bottom half of the 8 the best you can hope for is to play second week.

Yes, yes, yes. That's how the final series should be played. Why has the NRL complicated the finals so much?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2