NRL square-ups article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Parramatta vs Dragons:

Parramatta lead since the 3rd minute.
  • Don't get a penalty until the 71st minute.
  • Dragons get 5 penalties before Parramatta get one.
  • Parramatta's first penalty came around about the time that the Dragons making a comeback ceased to be a real possibility.
The NRL is broken.

Great article! All of us on here im sure would feel the same - the refs dictate far too many outcomes in todays game. Its a real lottery what your going to get. Its a shame because its ruining the game!!

Actually made me buy the herald for the 1st time in a few years.
They owe him.

"Exclusive Data Available Exclusively To This Column* reveals that 78 per cent of NRL penalties are given to the team trailing on the scoreboard, 67 per cent of consecutive penalties are given to the team that did not receive an earlier string of consecutive penalties, and 96 per cent of second-half penalties are given to the team trailing in the penalty count at half-time."

"*Not actually a thing, but I'll bet you one Mitchell Pearce and half an Andrew Fifita on your lucky Star Roulette Wheel that it's true."

I would love to see these stats for real! Its hard to imagine that the good people from EDAETCC would be far from the mark.

Apart from the abundance of penalties there is a problem with the advantage a penalty gives a team. As we've advocated on here for years there should be short-arm penalties for the myriad of piddling offences (not like Don McKinnon), such as hand-on-the-ball. This would mean just a tap and a restart of the six tackles, eliminating the kick which can gain 30-40 metres.

i was going to start another thread but it seems appropriate to post it in this thread

we got caned 9 - 3 in the penalty count(smh) & i don't remember 1 our way in the 2nd half.
serves ourselves right for getting into such a dominant position so early in the game i guess. the most obvious in the 2nd half was when bj was tackled,went to get up & play the ball to be crash tackled & lose the ball. the ref then ruling lost ball, pack a scrum

i was going to start another thread but it seems appropriate to post it in this thread

we got caned 9 - 3 in the penalty count(smh) & i don't remember 1 our way in the 2nd half.
serves ourselves right for getting into such a dominant position so early in the game i guess. the most obvious in the 2nd half was when bj was tackled,went to get up & play the ball to be crash tackled & lose the ball. the ref then ruling lost ball, pack a scrum
And it was not long after the Perrett second bite at the cherry penalty

What I notoced, and we finally got a penalty for it, was Sharks pressing on the base of a tackled player's skull.:swear:

Pressure on C1/2 causes you to lose control of all limbs.
Pathetic, unsportsmanlike tactics by the last defender to get off the tackled player :mad:

"Exclusive Data Available Exclusively To This Column* reveals that 78 per cent of NRL penalties are given to the team trailing on the scoreboard, 67 per cent of consecutive penalties are given to the team that did not receive an earlier string of consecutive penalties, and 96 per cent of second-half penalties are given to the team trailing in the penalty count at half-time."

"*Not actually a thing, but I'll bet you one Mitchell Pearce and half an Andrew Fifita on your lucky Star Roulette Wheel that it's true."

I would love to see these stats for real! Its hard to imagine that the good people from EDAETCC would be far from the mark.

I'm sure someone has done the stats, like David Middelton, but won't put them up as they are employed by the NRL

The only way that there will be a change/improvement in the reffing is to bring in a captain's challenge as was used in the 20's for a few seasons. If the refs knew that their blatant biased decisions were going to be challenged and overturned they would think twice about giving them. Some of the ruck penalties today were blatant square ups and the decision against BJ was the worst decision of the round.
Newcastle were also dudded in the second half against St Merge today with at least five dud calls going against them to allow Saints back into the game.
I like the idea of short arm penalties for ruck infringements which quite often could go either way.
I would have liked to have seen a wide angle of how far Lewis was standing offside when he took the intercept for his try. He was at least 3 meters in front of the ref earlier when Wright scored.

This is a huge issue for the game. It's the same effect the safety car has in the V8's.

The officiating is designed to get he game close for as long as possible.

I've been singing this songbook for what seems like an age !!
I believe refs dont care who wins, they simply want a close result, to appear to be "fair", and whether subconsciously or otherwise, strive for an even outcome.

I didn't see the Newcastle game but if the refs helped the Dragons overcome an 18 point half time deficit that's disgusting. Their fans are desperate for a win.

The only way that there will be a change/improvement in the reffing is to bring in a captain's challenge as was used in the 20's for a few seasons. If the refs knew that their blatant biased decisions were going to be challenged and overturned they would think twice about giving them. Some of the ruck penalties today were blatant square ups and the decision against BJ was the worst decision of the round.
Newcastle were also dudded in the second half against St Merge today with at least five dud calls going against them to allow Saints back into the game.
I like the idea of short arm penalties for ruck infringements which quite often could go either way.
I would have liked to have seen a wide angle of how far Lewis was standing offside when he took the intercept for his try. He was at least 3 meters in front of the ref earlier when Wright scored.
matey, in todays game we got 4 bad calls in the first 15 minutes (I was going to keep going to keep a tally for the game but got side tracked).
We would have used up the Captains challenge right then and there@!
and do we really need the terrible and awful situation where we are asking why DIDN'T the Captain challenge?

What we need are Robot Refs. It seems like every week you see another industry taken over with robotic technology. Well this time I'd welcome it. Imagine having an unbiased ref. Immune to bribes and bad calls. Robbo the robot....bring it on!

What we need are Robot Refs. It seems like every week you see another industry taken over with robotic technology. Well this time I'd welcome it. Imagine having an unbiased ref. Immune to bribes and bad calls. Robbo the robot....bring it on!
you really think robots aren't programmed???
yeah bring on the robot refs, yeah!

So I'm nearly as South as you can get in our country and the beloved game is AwFuL

The refs in that **** have a 10:1 ratio of calling a penalty that's an actual penalty

The point being i guess is that we have bad refs but at least you can follow the game as a new fan,AwFuL the rules seem like an absolute cluster**** if you're not used to penalties being ignored

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8