NRL: Restarting May 28th. Grand Final Oct 25th

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Biggest issue is the NRL will need exceptions made for them by government, who will be hesitant because of the message it will send to the wider community. Whilst I'd love to see footy back asap, I reckon July is a more realistic goal.

Biggest issue is the NRL will need exceptions made for them by government, who will be hesitant because of the message it will send to the wider community. Whilst I'd love to see footy back asap, I reckon July is a more realistic goal.
One bonus is Scomo is a footy head too. He is more likely to allow it. I dont think it sends a bad message at all. All the players and staff would be tested and strictly isolated more than the rest of Australia. Go to a building site anywhere in Australia and you'll see more than 2 guys there. There are many work places that have large numbers of people together.... At the end of the day they are working when on the field so i don't see any dramas with it. I do agree that May is a bit optimistic. Im thinking more likely July/August

Man who bloody knows with this thing. All it will take is big jumps in community transmission and we prob won’t see another game this season. For the life of me I can’t understand some of the things I’ve seen of late, including the numbers at Manly Beach. I mean how the hell is Jan Powers markets in New a farm in Brisbane open with crowds???? It’s beyond me! If we want the footy back let’s play our part and stay home for now. Hats off to all our frontline fighters of this thing and the courage they are showing. True legends. Sorry for the rant. Prob should be in the other thread.

The chairman mentioned on radio over the weekend, that they already have a government exemption, so that first box is ticked!

“The government has already allowed us to play tomorrow if we wanted to," he said.

"They’ve exempted us in the health order last Monday so they have trust in us. Everyone thought it would go up, but I think the government has done a great job with all the measures to keep the infection rate down.

The chairman mentioned on radio over the weekend, that they already have a government exemption, so that first box is ticked!

“The government has already allowed us to play tomorrow if we wanted to," he said.

"They’ve exempted us in the health order last Monday so they have trust in us. Everyone thought it would go up, but I think the government has done a great job with all the measures to keep the infection rate down.
Thanks mate, I recalled this statement and spent 30 minutes looking for it to no avail.

Perhaps they should rename it the RRL (Roosters Rugby League) when it restarts...

NRL 2020: Unbeaten clubs could be stripped of points in two-conference competition
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
April 6, 2020 9:46pm

NRL teams could be stripped of the competition points they won in the opening two rounds of the season under a highly controversial proposal to restart the premiership with two conferences.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal a deduction of points is a serious option being considered by NRL powerbrokers that will outrage fans of undefeated teams Parramatta, Newcastle, Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne and Penrith.
“There are a couple of arguments we need to consider,” Pearce said.
“Players worked their butts off in the off season and won games in the first two rounds.
“But if it’s a different competition format and we start all over again … do they keep them?
“It’s a key point we’ll be discussing on Thursday then passing onto the commission to make the final decision.”

Roosters coach Trent Robinson has played a key role in Project Apollo. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty
Roosters coach Trent Robinson has played a key role in Project Apollo. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty
Fuelling the fire is the fact Roosters coach Trent Robinson and South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett are both heavily involved in advisory roles with Project Apollo.

The Roosters have not won a game and the Rabbitohs are one from two.
The two champion coaches met with commission chairman Peter V’landys on Monday and both backed the conference system.
However it has been established they will not be involved in the talks about the competition points.
For player welfare reasons, the regular season would be played over only seven weeks because it is considered unreasonable to have players away from their families and loved ones for any longer.
Throw in State of Origin and the finals and it could be only a 14-week season.
“That’s better than us not playing at all,” said one official. “To play each other twice and have players in isolation for 14 weeks is going to create welfare issues.”
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy hates the idea of wiping out the first two rounds.
“I was warned a couple of weeks ago this could happen and it’s not right,” Bellamy said
“You can’t just say they’re null and void. We should just continue the season.
“Those first two weeks were part of the competition and we worked really hard to get two away wins.
“What about the fans – we want them to continue paying membership but then take competition points off them. You can’t.”

Perhaps they should rename it the RRL (Roosters Rugby League) when it restarts...

NRL 2020: Unbeaten clubs could be stripped of points in two-conference competition
Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph
April 6, 2020 9:46pm

NRL teams could be stripped of the competition points they won in the opening two rounds of the season under a highly controversial proposal to restart the premiership with two conferences.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal a deduction of points is a serious option being considered by NRL powerbrokers that will outrage fans of undefeated teams Parramatta, Newcastle, Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne and Penrith.
“There are a couple of arguments we need to consider,” Pearce said.
“Players worked their butts off in the off season and won games in the first two rounds.
“But if it’s a different competition format and we start all over again … do they keep them?
“It’s a key point we’ll be discussing on Thursday then passing onto the commission to make the final decision.”

Fuelling the fire is the fact Roosters coach Trent Robinson and South Sydney coach Wayne Bennett are both heavily involved in advisory roles with Project Apollo.

The Roosters have not won a game and the Rabbitohs are one from two.
The two champion coaches met with commission chairman Peter V’landys on Monday and both backed the conference system.
However it has been established they will not be involved in the talks about the competition points.
For player welfare reasons, the regular season would be played over only seven weeks because it is considered unreasonable to have players away from their families and loved ones for any longer.
Throw in State of Origin and the finals and it could be only a 14-week season.
“That’s better than us not playing at all,” said one official. “To play each other twice and have players in isolation for 14 weeks is going to create welfare issues.”
Melbourne Storm coach Craig Bellamy hates the idea of wiping out the first two rounds.
“I was warned a couple of weeks ago this could happen and it’s not right,” Bellamy said
“You can’t just say they’re null and void. We should just continue the season.
“Those first two weeks were part of the competition and we worked really hard to get two away wins.
“What about the fans – we want them to continue paying membership but then take competition points off them. You can’t.”
Of course. We can’t have Easts and Souths disadvantaged can we. Lol

Guess that one serious consideration in the location of or basing teams at any set venue or venues is that there would surely have to be quite a few separate training fields available enabling the teams to have some autonomy with training and match preparation . Probably rules out any smaller type suggested locations then . Also not too sure also\\ if it is an ideal situation to have all of the sides residing in the same accommodation venue . Maybe again at least a couple of locations and some type of a rotating residing arrangement . Just exceptional and unprecedented times so the norm can just not be applied , and a high degree of flexibility definitely required . Late May or June [ more likely ] is not an unrealistic scenario for a restart if the present infection rate or trajectory stays on a similar course . What ever will be will be .

If it happens the only way will be a complete isolation situation , all teams ( minus Auckland) , all coaching departments.

And playing out two grounds ( maybe Robina / Suncorp) .

But if one single person gets it that’s sayonara for 2020.

Personally I can’t see anything , and I do mean anything happening until we get a vaccine and that’s a long long way away.

It would be unfair to strip clubs of the points they have earned in the first two rounds.
However, unless the new comp provides matches against every other club then it is also unfair to clubs like Manly who may miss out on playing easybeat clubs such as the Worriers and Titans.

The ancient Romans knew the value of giving the unwashed masses gladitiorial distractions ....

With the toll on mental welfare caused by isolation .. coupled with being told you are stacking the dishwasher wrong .... the gov't will be all for the comp restarting ....

.. and if the infection rates continue to fall ... more pressure is going to build for them to reboot the country as soon as possible .... we ain't outa da woods yet ... but there are optimistic signs ....

I am concerned that we have four people in their 30's in ICU which means that the players will be at risk. I acknowledge that regular testing will minimize that risk somewhat. I am surprised that not one single top 30 player has tested positive to this disease. What would happen if when testing players prior to permitting entry into "the bubble" key players return positive results and are not permitted entry? I hope they can resume but I just see too many obstacles.

The conference draw is stupid, if the comp restarts this season just rework the draw so every team plays each other once. It's not perfect because of home game advantage but better then what has been suggested.
Robbo and Bennett would be against this if their teams had both been undefeated in 2020.

If they strip points and go with this idea they will lose a lot of fans, it will be seen as the rort it is to look after the favoured teams who control the game.

Taking the points away is the wrong thing to do. Forget the two conferences just put them all in one bubble rather than two and play each other once. Have a top 4 semifinal series which results in one grand final in week 4 of the finals. We need 18 more weeks to do that as two rounds have already been played.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4