NRL Recruitment Chat Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Just three days after Brisbane coach Kevin Walters declared Matt Lodge would remain at the Brisbane Broncos, the prop forward is set to be granted an immediate release to join the New Zealand Warriors. (lol)

As for Lodge, he will not play for the Broncos this weekend and will link up with the Warriors in time for their round 17 clash against Cronulla. He won't be able to play for the Warriors this weekend because he wasn't announced in the team sheet on Tuesday.

Roosters enforcer Isaac Liu has begun informing the Sydney Roosters that he will depart the club at season's end for a three-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans to be closer to family.

Has begun? Is he the worlds slowest talker or something??
Interesting pickup and good player but should they not be focusing on hooker and 5/8?

They have Tino, Fotuaika and Wallace as middles.......I mean you can never have too many but they have gaping holes elsewhere

Last edited:
They have Tino, Fotuaika and Wallace as middles.......I mean you can never have to many but they have gaping holes elsewhere
I'd say that's the point. Liu can tackle. But a 3 year deal for a 30 year-old Liu? May be yet another Gold Coast recruitment masterstroke, or maybe not!

Looks like Su'A has signed with the dragons the next 3 years.

Hard player to gauge....often lands on either impressive or completely missing

The Tevita Pangai Jr contract saga has taken a stunning twist with grand-finalists Penrith emerging as a shock contender to sign the Broncos forward on a three-month deal before he joins the Bulldogs next season.

News Corp can reveal the Panthers are in the mix to secure Pangai Jnr’s services immediately in the lead-up to Penrith’s clash against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday night.

The Tevita Pangai Jr contract saga has taken a stunning twist with grand-finalists Penrith emerging as a shock contender to sign the Broncos forward on a three-month deal before he joins the Bulldogs next season.

News Corp can reveal the Panthers are in the mix to secure Pangai Jnr’s services immediately in the lead-up to Penrith’s clash against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday night.
This just got shut down by the Panthers CEO… basically the NRL priced him higher than they could afford

as posted elsewhere...

Penrith Panthers say they are not going to sign Tevita Pangai Jnr on a short term deal. Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher: “We had a chat with his agent several weeks ago, he is a quality player but it made no sense. We have an excellent roster.”

as posted elsewhere...

Penrith Panthers say they are not going to sign Tevita Pangai Jnr on a short term deal. Panthers CEO Brian Fletcher: “We had a chat with his agent several weeks ago, he is a quality player but it made no sense. We have an excellent roster.”

This Brian Fletcher sounds pretty switched on. Why have a chat with the agent if it makes no sense? Maybe he only realised it made no sense when he remembered he already has a quality roster!
"Oh hang on, I forgot that we already have Kikau, Isaia Yeo, Liam Martin, and that other Origin back row star, you know, whats-his-name, the one we just had to let go because of our cap. But nice chatting to you."
Then thinks to himself, "Well, that made no sense"

One thing that is impressing me about the club this season is that we are not being linked in recruitment rumours, especially to known trouble-makers. Every player out of contract is being 'chased' by the Mutts, the Donkeys, the Tugers, Gummies, Eels, Illawarra, 'Boys, Knights ....
Even the three leading clubs are making late-season changes to their rosters, not that they need to.
This stability is good news. To me it shows that we have sufficient emerging talent to move into the top 30 squad next season after we, inevitably, shed a few of our current roster. I love this way of thinking, and it is the recipe for a strong and lasting culture.
To borrow a now laughable slogan from the Mutts of a couple of decades ago: Bred not Bought!

One thing that is impressing me about the club this season is that we are not being linked in recruitment rumours, especially to known trouble-makers. Every player out of contract is being 'chased' by the Mutts, the Donkeys, the Tugers, Gummies, Eels, Illawarra, 'Boys, Knights ....
Even the three leading clubs are making late-season changes to their rosters, not that they need to.
This stability is good news. To me it shows that we have sufficient emerging talent to move into the top 30 squad next season after we, inevitably, shed a few of our current roster. I love this way of thinking, and it is the recipe for a strong and lasting culture.
To borrow a now laughable slogan from the Mutts of a couple of decades ago: Bred not Bought!

Durning our golden run with Des’s 1st stint I always knew we where in for a big year the following year when we didn’t make any significant signings.
This always indicates he has what he wants and the group is there for the right reasons.
This has the same feel about it right now, this is a group all being retained likely at a discounted rate to bring home a premiership or 2.

I must say I just don’t get all these last minute changes being allowed to happen.

It really smells of favouritism to me.

I must say I just don’t get all these last minute changes being allowed to happen.

How so?

It is all within the rules and current framework.

No exemptions etc have been granted.

That said I dont love it either

Yep, it certainly seems odd, taken when a club with genuine injury problems which make fielding a side difficult and maintaining a squad near impossible, has to seek permission to bring in a development player into the squad on a like for like basis, but if your the panthers or the chooks it seems it’s quite ok to go out and recruit high quality players and in this instance on a full roster, with cap issues, to bolster your premiership chances, I guess the panthers saw it work for the rorters against us, so thought why shouldn‘t we just go and stack our already stacked side, couldn‘t win last year, they obviously don’t think there’re side was/is stacked enough to win it this year, reeks of premierships for sale.

It might just backfire on the 'Riff. They seemed to be a happy unit, many of whom are locals who have played together in the juniors. Then they bring in an outsider who seems to be a troublemaker. He's only going to be there for a handful of matches. He takes the place of a much-liked teammate who has busted his gut over the past two seasons. He doesn't deserve a premiership....
I reckon it's a risky strategy and one that goes against what Penrith have been building. Why do Penrith think they need him when the only matches they have lost this season is when they were sans their SOO players?

I don’t like the change of deadline either.

The flip side of the coin is that for the struggling teams, like Brisbane, it does provide them a small help to reposition for next year. There is no draft or anything else that can assist in equalising talent, unlike in many other sports. So for the struggling clubs with an ‘asset’ others want, it’s potentially a good thing.

Maybe we should make inquiries as to whether RTS wants to join a premiership threat before he leaves for rugby?

I don’t like the change of deadline either.

The flip side of the coin is that for the struggling teams, like Brisbane, it does provide them a small help to reposition for next year.
Don't you find it amazing that Brisbane is such a poor team yet clubs are throwing huge money on their players, such as Coates, Lodge and TPJ? If they were as good as the salaries they are commanding then why hasn't it translated into wins for the Donkeys? Why is Brisbane so eager to get rid of these guys? Shouldn't it be a warning to clubs that they are bad news?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2